No Strollers, Please

Lady Grey

This is a vent. My mother and I were shopping in a lovely little keep-sake store in Bar Harbor one summer, and I noticed a sign out front of the store that stated "No Strollers, Please". The shop was full of beautiful hand-made artwork, porcelain, China, lovely small lamps, etc. The items were on shelves, on the floor, and on tables. The owner lovingly displayed her merchandise in a way that would entice anyone to buy her items. There were ample and clear aisles along the store that any cognizant individual would have no trouble walking throughout her store without knocking anything over.

I asked her about her sign, and she said that I would not believe the amount of people who drove strollers through her store and carelessly knocked over items and broke them with no remorse nor apologies. Finally, she had to post the sign. She further said that I would not believe the angry remarks from tourists walking by who fiercely resented her sign. However, the sign remains up. :D

I am probably going to make some folks angry here, but I praised her courage, professionalism, and stamina. Many people today are careless and rude in this way. I have seen people drive strollers right into merchandise, myself, and keep on driving! :furious: This woman probably forfeited a great deal of profit due to the damage. I get frustrated when these double and triple-wide strollers come racing down aisles in stores and the parents do not even look to see if anyone is in front of them – but they take it for granted that you are going to JUMP out of the way for them. They seem to have the right-of-way everywhere in the public arenas.

OK, now I vented. Sorry if I hurt anyone’s feelings.

• Like 3

You know, I don't get people's mentality either. Several years ago, I was in a bad accident in September. When it came time to Christmas shop, I was using a walker and was still incredibly bruised. I didn't walk into anyone. They all walked into me! Constantly. And they made snide comments that I shouldn't be out in public. It was bruises people! I could hardly walk, even with the walker and no one got out of my way, held a door or said 'Merry Christmas'. I was treated very very badly for having to use a walker. It was probably the same people who use no manners pushing a stroller. I for one was raised better than that. Thanks Mom & Dad!

It bugs me when there's a sign on the door that says "no pets" and someone inside is carrying a dog around in their arms. I love to be able to bring my (small, well behaved) dog into a store but I always ask first if there's a sign that says not to, I'd turn right around.

You know, I don't get people's mentality either. Several years ago, I was in a bad accident in September. When it came time to Christmas shop, I was using a walker and was still incredibly bruised. I didn't walk into anyone. They all walked into me! Constantly. And they made snide comments that I shouldn't be out in public. It was bruises people! I could hardly walk, even with the walker and no one got out of my way, held a door or said 'Merry Christmas'. I was treated very very badly for having to use a walker. It was probably the same people who use no manners pushing a stroller. I for one was raised better than that. Thanks Mom & Dad!

Wow - that is too incredible that people would treat you like that in that condition.

Hope I was not too strong. I was really venting - maybe too much. But I could sympathize with the feelings of that proprietor with her merchandise. When I see strollers coming my way, I head for the hills! :roflmao:

Shopping carts don't bother me as much as children running wild. Apparently some parent confuse Walmart or other public venues with a playground. We were in a public service office recently that has a small area with toddler toys to amuse children whose parents need to do business there. The clerk told us that earlier in the day they had to take the toys out of sight because two young boys were noisily fighting over them. The adult with them rolled her eyes and said, "They're not my problem. I'm only their grandmother."

I do think sometimes that the filter on the gene pool could use a good cleaning.

• Like 4

My son works in an amusement park. He always gets annoyed with the parents who argue with him that their little munchkin is big enough to go on the ride by himself, and then get mad at him when he points out that regulations say he isn't and that's that.

Strollers in a gift shop crowded with merchandise? Taking a stroller into one of those places is nuts. We had a 22 month old on our trip to Williamsburg. Daddy stayed outside with the munchkin in the stroller while the girls and I shopped in the stores. It's the only logical way to go.

Shopping carts! <steam coming out of ears>

I'm a small person with little feet (size 5 1/2) and I cannot tell you the number of times that people have run into me, into my ankles, or just run right over my feet with their *?!#%~** shopping carts!

• Like 2

In addition to strollers and grocery carts, being on the cell phone bugs me. They drive into the grocery store parking lot on the cell phone, talk all the way through the grocery store and leave the parking lot on the cell phone! Heaven forbid if you disrupt the important conversation when they're standing in the middle of the aisle.

I have had people watch me try to open a door with my rear and pull a wheelchair through the doorway, trying to get it over the bump on the threshold. I will say on the other hand I have had occasions where people are more than eager to help- but they weren't on cell phones.

• Like 1

Speaking of cell phones - how about those on Bluetooth? Those people stand in the middle of the supermarket aisle talking to themselves, then they turn and you see the earpiece. Several times out in the parking lot a person coming up next to me would say "hi" and I'd turn my head and say "hi" back, only to see they're talking on a Bluetooth phone, and not to me.

• Like 1

Don't get me started on drivers on cell phones. I have a strong urge to flip them the one-finger salute, although they're not likely to notice. And my heart aches each time I read about some teen's last text before the fatal crash. Stupid, stupid, ignorant behavior.

• Like 1

You don't have to flip them the big finger salute. I usually hold up my little finger. That's for when you don't want to send the very best. And know what? You can do it while scratching your head or even with pointing. Makes me feel so much better.

• Like 1

Oh Kelly now the little finger salute I will have to remember that one as that is sort of a whole other meaning in my mind but won't go into those minute details :whistle:

Hugs

Speaking of cell phones - how about those on Bluetooth? Those people stand in the middle of the supermarket aisle talking to themselves, then they turn and you see the earpiece. Several times out in the parking lot a person coming up next to me would say "hi" and I'd turn my head and say "hi" back, only to see they're talking on a Bluetooth phone, and not to me.

OMG! I had such a good laugh, I have to share this with the girl with whom I share my office! She will love this!

• Like 1

Shopping carts! <steam coming out of ears>

I'm a small person with little feet (size 5 1/2) and I cannot tell you the number of times that people have run into me, into my ankles, or just run right over my feet with their *?!#%~** shopping carts!

Jeeps!! YOu poor thing! I mean! People are so wild with those rolling weapons! I bet you feel like you have to put on your armor when you go into the stores - steel boots! Then you can kick them back!!!!

When we lived in Jacksonville one of our best friends was Italian; I learned a whole repertoire of unladylike hand gestures to use with rude/ discourteous/ aggressive drivers.

When we lived in Jacksonville one of our best friends was Italian; I learned a whole repertoire of unladylike hand gestures to use with rude/ discourteous/ aggressive drivers.

malocchio? the sign of the evil eye? My college roommate's grandmother was Calabrese.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but at Chicago International I was nearly run over several times by those geezer scooters (whatever they call them) that are always being advertised on tv. It seems like a double standard at mini shows when light weight, human powered strollers that keep kids out of reach of fragile merchandise are forbidden, but fast, motorized vehicles that weigh up to 200 pounds and are apparently easy to lose control of, are permitted. The stroller rule at CI is the only reason my wife didn't get to see the show. Our youngest wasn't walking yet in 2011. Just like driving, operating a scooter or stroller requires being attentive and considerate of others. There are, of course some places where they just won't work. Ron's in Orlando comes to mind. Good luck fitting one in those narrow aisles.

I'm also against using a cell phone while driving. I won't do it. I'm not a heart surgeon on the way to an emergency case, so there is no reason why a phone call would justify endangering others on the road.

I try to be patient with people who aren't paying attention to what they're doing, but I get downright mean when they act as if I was the offender when they ran into me with a grocery cart or almost hit me with their car in traffic. I usually get up close and personal and ask them if they're legally blind or mentally deficient. How else could they fail to notice a 6 foot, 200 lb. person in broad daylight?

• Like 1

My husband was run over by a geezer with a scooter in a store. He just started backing up and kept going. An employee told him he was running into someone, and his reply was,"I know."

I wouldn't have even considered entering a shop with breakables when my boys were stroller-bound. Where's the fun in looking at pretty things while terrified your child will break something? My biggest pet peeve is the people who have perfectly good strollers and let their little hell raisers out of them. Harnesses are your friend!

• Like 2