Can we stop with the crash landing already????

Chris P.

Argh! I'm flying to San Francisco tomorrow. I already have PTSD because I am a crash landing survivor from an incident at JFK back in the early 70s. I have my flight phobia meds, but the crash at the San Francisco airport and now the one at JFK frankly have me totally rattled. A friend of mine just got back from SF and said the skeleton of the Korea plane is still on the runway. I guess it's good to know that so it doesn't catch me by surprise.

I'm armed with books loaded on my e~reader, some embroidery, Angry Birds, and head phones. I am looking forward to my time there; I just wish I could just snap my fingers and be there.

Just venting, really.

:badmood:

• Like 2

The reality is that very few planes crash - but when there do they really catch our attention. Sounds like you have yourself "armed" and ready for a good, safe flight :) Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

Thanks. That crash landing at La Guardia looks just like the one I was in at JFK. We were coming in on one engine after three went out mid flight. Since they knew we could have a hard landing, the runway was already lined with fire engines and ambulances. Fortunately, like the one at La Guardia, there were no serious injuries, although I would guess that many, if not all, of the other passengers have developed a fear of flying and especially landing.

Chris, Im %100 right there with you. I got spooked on a flight from Denver to Phoenix and developed a horrible fear (of crashing,not flying) that I haven't been able to get over. Nothing happened but bad turbulence but I was flying with my (then) infant son and I just felt so vulnerable I never wanted to be in that position again.

Now, I have to fly to Hawaii in Feb. for my husbands companies convention and while I realize most people would love going to Hawaii I have ZERO desire to go. Of course I would love to BE there I just don't want to fly there.

What exactly are the flight meds? I was just planning on drinking whiskey the whole way and stumbling off the plane on arrival. These recent accidents have me totally rattled too.

• Like 1

Chris...take it from someone who 'gets' to travel by plane roughly 42 weeks out of the year: all is good. American commercial airline pilots are some of the best trained that you will find with many of them joining an airline after piloting in the military. I have been in a few close calls over the years, but it really is nothing. I know it is easier said than done, but airline travel is some of the safest travel you will find.

The incident at LaGuardia with the landing gear is not even in the top 20 of failures pilots concern themselves with while flying. Keep in mind that these guys still spend time in simulators and are trained for any emergency.

Just think about all of the cool and fun minis you will see in Dayton in a few weeks. :D

• Like 2

The reason plane crashes are so prominent in the news is that they happen so infrequently, considering the hundreds of airplanes that are up there and the thousands of miles they fly. If autombile accidents received the media attention airplane crashes do, no one would get into a car!

Chris, my husband is a retired airline pilot, with thousands upon thousands of hours of flight time. He says travelling in a car is much more dangerous than flying in a plane and statistics agree.

I understand that fact and logic, but I feel that I have control with what goes on when Im behind the wheel in my vehicle... and in an airplane I have no control obviously.

• Like 1

My father was a professional pilot and he lived to an old age. Smoking killed him. The reality is that amateurs in small planes are the ones usually involved in crashes and airline pilots are absolute professionals. They fly as often as you get in your car to drive to work or the store and what is stressful to you is run of the mill to them. Thinking that may or may not help you, but if you want to see an inside view of pilots and others involved with flying, look up airliners.net (am I allowed to post that here?). That's a forum for people involved in flying and you might be comforted by the fact that what these people worry about is anything but crashing, although I have to say, the main topics right now probably are the crashes.