Greenleaf 1/4 Scale Villages

Roxxie2

Its a miracle all the things I built even get built! I own and use very few tools, I hold everything together with tape and books propping things up. I use no power tools or clamps and so far everything came out square and nothing fell apart! I do need some better tape this stuff I have does not stick to anything! Back to Ace tomorrow!
Still trying to work out the windows. I think I might paint the main pieces and just mask of the places where the glue will go. Then glue on the windows and then assemble the floor and walls. I can't see another way.

• Like 1

I always do windows last. I prepare the interior trim, paint or whatever, and glue the windows to it, then gluing them into the house once all the exterior work is complete. This way I avoid paint mishaps on the windows.

• Like 1

Now why didn't I think of that Holly??? DUH! Thanks for jogging my poor brain!!! You do mean to glue them to the outside rather than the inside as in the instructions. LOL

I am hopeless!!! :bangin:

No, you're dyslectic, which means your brain is wired a little differently so you sometimes get to make interesting side trips to arrive at the same place :hug:

• Like 1

That's what I have always done but I was reading the directions and they have you putting the windows in before you paint and assemble. I never follow directions and sometimes it gets me into trouble!!! I liked Holly's suggestion of gluing the windows to the window frames and then adding them last. They will be on the outside instead of the inside but I doubt of that matters with these tiny houses. I am way too messy to put windows in and then try to paint!

LOL Holly! Somehow your post came up between Debora's and mine! Yes, my poor brain does some strange things sometimes. Reading those schematic sheets is a nightmare!!! I write on the pieces and I still get them backwards!
I do have another question about what they mean about left and right. Are you looking from the FRONT of the house or from the BACK of the house??? I am laughing so hard I can't type! :hug:

...I do have another question about what they mean about left and right. Are you looking from the FRONT of the house or from the BACK of the house???...

That's another purpose for the dry fit. When I was building the Glencroft I seem to remember that confused the heck out of me.

:clap: Yeaaaaaaa!!! I got the front and sides put together correctly and glued, painted the outside walls and now looking at it........I just might have to do something with the inside......the temptation is too great to let it remain just plain!

• Like 1

:clap: Yeaaaaaaa!!! I got the front and sides put together correctly and glued, painted the outside walls and now looking at it........I just might have to do something with the inside......the temptation is too great to let it remain just plain!

Uh huh...

Roxie,I fell asleep plotting and planning my Orchid and 2 other builds I need to finish before her-plus,now my (grown)son wants a haunted house or roombox- the roombox will win out....but yes,we eat,sleep,work,and daydream around our pretties and I love that!!!

• Like 1

Woke up early and couldn't stop planning my village in my head so I couldn't get back to sleep! Does anyone else's project keep them awake or am I losing it? :crazyeyes:

Yep! Sometimes it keeps me awake, sometimes it helps me fall asleep. :)

• Like 1

I have built several village buildings/houses. They are plenty sturdy enough with the back left off. It adds greatly to the realism to put curtains and basic cheap furniture inside. They can also be done in complete detail just as easily. I really love the little village houses.

Morgan, do you have any suggestions how to flatten out the trim? The trim sheets are a warped and bent that came in the kit. I had a rough afternoon with the Victorian house. The porch support broke, one plastic window cracked and so its starting to look more like a haunted house than a Christmas house! LOL
I will have to cover all the mistakes and damage with snow I guess. Camouflage may be my best bet.

Oh, did you seal or paint the trim?

The trims are all cardboard. I stacked a ton of books on top last night so I will see this morning if they flattened out. I cut up my blueberry container and replaced the window the best I could. The windows come with fancy panes on them already so this one won't have the design. I hope to cover the windows with Christmas wreaths or something anyway. The porch broke also. IF I had access to foamcore and some skinny sticks I could make my own. I will have to wait until I can drive to Santa Fe to Hobby Lobby. I have a list!!! :)

I actually found foam board in Wally Mart today!!! Also some long fuzzy green craft stems I can make little wreathes for the windows from!
I think the trim might flatten out ok when I glue it on. I hope!!!

I am getting excited and pleased with what I have accomplished this afternoon. The trim once painted and glued came out nice. Thanks Holly! :bigwink:
I think I am going to make my own front door. That wood piece looks clunky.

Holly I sure wish that I had a supply source. I can't even find skinny sticks. We don't even have a restaurant supply place to get coffee stir sticks. Most of them are plastic now.
I might be able to make one of sturdy cardboard and paint to match the trim. Why not.....the rest of the trim is all cardboard anyway. I save those plastic berry containers to make windows. Will make some prototypes and see what happens. :)

• Like 1