Greenleaf 1/4 Scale Villages

Roxxie2

So................struggling a bit with the roof but I will get there!

How far apart should you measure the rows of shingles? I have no idea.

Why don't you lay out a few short rows of shingles in a sort of dry fit. Wiggle them around until they look good. Then measure the distance from the top of one row to the top of the next row up and you'll have your measurement. It can vary from build to build, depending on the size and shape of the shingles and the overall look you want, which is probably why no one has jumped in and given you a precise number.

• Like 3

I've thought actual wood shingles always looked too big, until I started paying attention to roofs. The most common roofing material used around where I live is asphalt or Spanish tile. "Shake" shingles fell out of fashion but are still around, and look very large compared to asphalt. So my point is, as Holly said, you should go with what looks right to you. Look at roofs in your town. The diversity is really amazing. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I made some plans on paper and will just eyeball the rest I guess.
The one color paint that I need I don't have and can't buy here so time for plan B! Snow on the roof!!! :)

as Holly said, you should go with what looks right to you. Look at roofs in your town. The diversity is really amazing. :)

I would but all the houses here are adobe ( I live in an adobe house) and they all have flat roofs!!! There are no regular style houses here in Northern New Mexico.

• Like 1

Ooh,Roxy,then you and Debora are maybe the ones I can count on to get a firsthand view of real adobe tile roofs,when I get ready (not yet) to make some polyclay tiles!Just as you are lacking shingled roofs in your corner of the world,I only know of one adobe roofed house in my little rural southern town,and boy,does it look weird,as a regular roof would in yours,I guess!LOL Roxy,I am so proud of how you have stuck with this little kit,as it sounds like it can be a real pain! You have more patience than me!! :thumbup:

OK So the shingle lines aren't totally dead on straight ( LOL) but it will have to do! Does anyone have a good product they use for snow??? I am going to cover the bigger boo boos with snow! :D

• Like 1

Kat.......when I get to town maybe this weekend I will TRY hard to take some pictures for you of the tile roofs. Our house doesn't have tile on the roof but I haven't been up there to see what IS up there! LOL I will take some pictures of adobes if you like :)

SANDPAPER!!!!!!!! Holly!!! I had totally forgotten about that medium for roofing!!! How do you do it? In strips? I may have used more of the shingle strip material than I should as I made a lot of boo boos while shingling. I know I can get sandpaper!!! :D

• Like 1

Roxy, I cut it into strips the length of the shingles, then I cut them 3/4 up at intervals the width of the shingles. Then I start the first row with a whole shingle at the roof edge and run the strip, and then start the next row with a half (lengthwise) shingle.

• Like 1

I'm too late probably,Roxy,but I think the scalloped (fishtail) edge shingles would look good-it's how the 1" scale ones are done.But which one pleases your eyes more is what matters!

:hmm: Easier said than done. You gonna volunteer to cut a bajillion teensy tiny fishscale scallops for Roxy's quarter scale house? :freaked:

Sometimes what pleases the fingers trumps what pleases the eye. Or ... that's when we get really creative to achieve the effect we're shooting for!

• Like 1

1. :hmm: Easier said than done. You gonna volunteer to cut a bajillion teensy tiny fishscale scallops for Roxy's quarter scale house?

LOL I was thinking how I would manage to cut all those and have them come out uniform in size and shape! I wish I still had my fancy edge cutting scissors for scrapbook pages......some of those designs might be interesting.

hmmmmmmmm

I cut sandpaper shingles once for a half scale house and only managed rectangles that were mildly uniform in size and shape. It wasn't easy! :)

• Like 1

First,I meant to say fishscale earlier,not fishtail. Next,Kathie,I wasn't the one who proposed the 2 choices,straight or fishscale-Roxy was,so I assumed she would know how she wanted to do either,or would ask advice. If asked,yes,I would say,get a Fiskars or whatever other brand of scissors with a 'pinking' type edge that gives a scallop finish-Roxy's "fancy-edge cutting scissors". I have 2 versions myself,with 2 different width outcomes that I use for making rounded or elongated curves,for leaves or other mini-cut outs. The ones that make a small rounded edge could be used to cut strips of shingles that could be applied as is or cut apart into the "bajillion teensy tiny"pieces you assumed I was suggesting she do one at a time. And if I were in New Mexico,you're darned tootin' I'd love to help! (I apologize for being short-it's been a long week)Perhaps I should have been more detailed earlier...Either way you do it,as I said,Roxy,it will be what pleases you that matters. :)

• Like 1

The funny thing is Kat I understood what you said.....or meant! :)
Gottcha! Very busy week and weekend here too! I had to rest my hands from all the shingling and cutting they are pretty sore. I did one gable perfectly and starting the second gable its giving me fits.....I can't make it come out straight for anything so I decided to quit and start again on Monday! :bigwink:

Oh, I forgot who it was who wanted to know what tile roofs look like out here. I was in town today at a classic car show and I couldn't find one tile roof. Most are metal or just flat and I can't see what's up there. I will keep an eye out for them, I carry my camera with me all the time just in case I see something interesting.
I think the fancier houses down in Santa Fe probably have tile roofs more but there must be some around here. Stay tuned.

Thanx for understanding my grumbliness,Roxy-I didn't mean to be so. I am so tired from my caretaking job this week that I had to take a break from my minis,too,which I hate-cuz it usually relaxes me! And that's okay about the clay tile roofs. I've just had very little luck finding exactly 'it' that I want to recreate,in my online image searches. In my roombox project for him,my son wants what I (evidently mistakenly) learned to call adobe tiles when I was growing up in California,but he wants them blue,which I'd think is more Mediterranean. The images that I have found are blue solar panels in a curved tile shape-NOT what I was wanting to emulate! I'm not running to the library or buying a book just to find them,but the internet is letting me down here! So,my longwinded way to say,thanx for the effort and hope your hands feel much better soon! :)

That's a great idea,Kathie-and less headache for Mom! haha This project is a large roombox structure someone gave me years ago that has a simple peaked roof (as in this /\ but flatter) instead of being just a flat topped box. It's going to have sort of an efficiency apartment look inside. I've stuccoed the exterior (love that spackle!), and will make the tiles from polyclay,but just can't get the proper 'it' factor settled. Maybe too much thought in it,but it's for my boy,ya know? And my younger boy tried to put photos from my camera onto my computer his last (short) visit here,but something apparently wasn't jiving-y'all know I have no idea!!-and the one I'm doing the roombox for has been working so much I am not hassling him to figure it out. I know I'm not the only one here who doesn't have a gallery,but I hope it will get done one day! Okay,enuff of me hijacking other peoples' topics!!:) Sorry Roxy!