Apparently I Need a Dog House -- for me !!

Gonzo

Growing up on a small horse farm we had our share of stray dogs and cats that we made our own. Mom had a kind heart and since dad traveled a lot, she was able to convince him (manipulate??) into letting us keep many of them. I guess I inherited that from her. The last thing we needed was another dog. On my way home from the airport Wednesday while driving the country roads, I saw a dog running down the middle of the road. He almost got hit three times. One idiot didn't even slow down. I stopped in the road and he ran up to the car, but wouldn't let me close. He stepped into the hay field and his legs were shaking. I found a crushed can and grabbed my bottle of water out of the car. I poured -- he drank...and drank...and drank. Don't worry, I know to be careful. I started petting him and eventually got him in the back seat of my car. That was when I realized how dirty and smelly he was.

I checked the farms on the road, called the area vets, humane society and shelter -- no luck. I had my daughter meet me in the driveway with dog shampoo and we did a quick clean. We fed him and he ate...and ate...and ate...again in moderation. My daughter works for a vet, so I took him in yesterday. the vet looked at him and said that I definitely have a "fixer upper." He was recovering from dehydration and starvation, was covered in flea dirt (only saw one live flea, but pet owners know that means more), has sores and some hot spots. His ears are chewed up and covered in dirt and sores. His nails were all long and curled. Normally I would have trimmed them, but as bad as they were I waited for the vet.

Four shots, three meds, wormer, this new miracle flea/tick pill (kills all in 30 minutes and works for a month), a nail trimming and heartworm check and then back home for another, more detailed bath.

He has mostly slept for two days, but is on the road to recovery. he has a bed in the garage so the other animals leave him alone, but I let him in for a bit today while catching up on some reports. After exploring a bit, he crashed at my feet. I think he snores louder than I do. Now, one more bath and then let him heal and find a home for him. He knows how to sit and he asks to go out. His nose is a little deformed, so he has been crated in the past.

He is a 4-5 year old beagle mix, possibly a puggle. If you know anyone within 100 miles of Indianapolis looking for a good dog, shoot me a PM. I have made posters and such, but am not hopeful of finding the previous owner.

post-8632-0-08104100-1375460020_thumb.jp

post-8632-0-56570000-1375460022_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I probably should have added that I am not really looking that hard for the previous owner. The dog (I am calling him "Buddy" for now) has a little deformity on his nose where it looks like he spent a lot of time pushing his nose through the bars of a crate or cage.

Those eyes of Buddy's are enough to melt the heart of any dog-loving person!

He is a 4-5 year old beagle mix, possibly a puggle. If you know anyone within 100 miles of Indianapolis looking for a good dog, shoot me a PM. I have made posters and such, but am not hopeful of finding the previous owner.

What a wonderful thing you did, rescuing him and showing him such kindness and caring. Any chance he's found his "forever" home with you?

Poor guy! So great of you to do what you did. My dog is a rescue who was (I'm told) found wandering around town and a good samaritan brought her to the Humane Society. We didn't adopt her until six months later (after various setbacks, including a broken leg and a stint at San Quentin as part of the "Pen Pals" program that pairs rescue dogs up with inmates for socialization and training) and I know a decent amount about her experiences after arriving at the Humane Society but not much about how she ended up there in the first place. I've always wondered about the person who found her, and would love to have been able to say thank you to them for rescuing her.

Anyway, wherever this guy ends up, you've done a great thing for him and for his future family. :)

There's a warm little corner in heaven for people who take care of God's four legged gifts. He looks like a good little fella. Personally... I wouldn't be looking all that hard for the previous owner (just sayin' LOL) besides, it looks like he's already found a great home.

Sounds to me like Buddy has already found his new home! I rescued my Molly from the road almost three years ago. I already had four chihuahuas, no one claimed her and she had no ID chip. I wouldn't give her up. Good luck with Buddy, he's a cutie!

Thank you for rescuing Buddy - and I don't think his previous owner should get him back! I hope you can find someone who loves him and will take care of him the rest of his life. It sounds a bit like he was just dumped out a vehicle to fend for himself - and I won't print what I would like to do to people who dump animals like that! It is so cruel!

Pet him a little extra for me, too :)

• Like 1

Aww...I will never understand how on earth people can be so cruel to such innocent, loving creatures. I do so hope you find room for him in your heart and home, but if that isn't possible...at least a decent family who will love and care for him properly. Bless you Greg...wish there were many, MANY more like you.

Greg, I don't know if you have rabbit hunting in your area, but rabbit hunters use beagles for hunting. If a dog is not a good hunter, or gets too old, they are often abandoned by their idiotic owners...they will frequently put them out in a rural area, thinking they will go to a farm and be taken in.

Either way, he's a lucky dog. Beagles make good pets, especially with children!

The other day as I was leaving Walmart, there was a little girl with a plastic container in a shopping cart filled with 4 puppies. They were standing out in the blazing sun, no water for her or the puppies.....I had to do something. I told the girl I would Help her move them into the shade and then I went and asked a Walmart associate if they would please get water for the dogs. I can't stand animal cruelty!!!!!!

Its true about the hunting dogs. It makes me sick!

• 4 weeks later...