A true beginner in Minnesota!

Aimeehj

Hi, all... total newbie over here! If there were a name for someone even less informed than a "newbie," that would be me. So, I thought I would introduce myself before I begin peppering you all with dollhouse questions elsewhere in the forums!

I'm a freelance illustrator and mom living in Minnesota, and I'm planning to build the Gloucester for my daughter. I love the simple lines and symmetry of the Glaucester and the absence of "extras" -- since my daughter is still quite young, I chose a house that didn't come with any cute little fences or other pull-off-ables! I also love that the Glau can be opened and closed.

I am really excited to get started! The incredible amount of expertise and enthusiasm evident in the members of this forum are really inspiring -- I can't wait to learn from you all.

If I may ask -- where is the best place to pose general house-building questions that are not specific to any one dollhouse? (Or is there a general dollhouse-building faq for complete beginners?) For example, one of my questions is: when the house description tells you how many bags of shingles or siding you need, can you assume that you can choose ANY of the shingles/siding sold on the Greenleaf site? If not, how do you know which shingle/siding is recommended?

Warmest wishes and thanks in advance,

Aimee

Welcome. (Can't help with the shingle question.) There is a forum for questions about specific models. Someone will have an answer you. Vast experience on the board, and very kind people.

I believe you can order the Greeleaf shingles or siding based on the recommended number of bags. If you want diamond shingles, you might want to call or email Greenleaf to make sure you order enough.

Since it's based on European designs, you might also want to do a thatch or copper roof, so you might want to wait until you get the kit and start working with it. We're not kidding when we say the house "speaks to us" or "tells us what it wants." I find that no matter what plan I am envisioning for a house, once I start building it, it doesn't always go my way :lol:

Welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to see what you do with this kit!

Welcome Aimee! One thing to do while you wait for one of the others who is more knowledgable about your house, if you have not,is go check out the search feature-top right corner of page-I saw quite a few things about the Gloucester are under 'gallery' and under 'forum'. I think this house looks ideal for children to play with. Debora is right,though-that house will tell you exactly what it wants! Glad to have you joining the fun! :) Kat

Thanks! Deborah, I will wait to buy shingles and such until my kit arrives and I get the lay of the land.

Kat, thank you for directing me to search the forums and galleries... I had done so fruitlessly because I, um, was spelling 'Gloucester' wrong. : ] At your prompting I tried again and was able to find a few tips and helpful images.

A little architectural research suggests to me that elements of the Gloucester's design were inspired by the famous Queen Anne manor house Winslow Hall. Although I'm not really interested in historical re-creation (well, not interested in doing it, but always interested in seeing others explore it!), it will nonetheless be neat to be able to refer to some manor house plans and images when working on this kit.

• Like 1

Welcome Aimee!

Worse than a newbie? The ONLY thing worse than a newbie is someone who has no interest. And a newbie.......well in the dollhouse world, it means we're all really excited for you. This is the beginning of a really exciting journey. You are young, and that's a good thing.

Have lots of fun!

Morgan

Aimee,welcome to the little family, and I wrote a book to reply to your post elsewhere. Shingles and siding are "pull-off-ables" that you might wish to postpone putting on the house until she's old enough to know better. Same for the windows and doors. Leave them off for now, since she'll probably remove them for play, anyway.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Greenleaf Family, Aimee :) So glad you found us. There is a thread that will help you navigate the forum - http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24166 Some of the details may have changed as we've had a couple upgrades since that was written.

The best place to post your questions concerning a dollhouse is: click on the Forums tab at the top; scroll down to Miniature Forums, and then on General Mini Talk. That's where most of the dollhouse and building chatter is going on.

And please don't hesitate to ask questions - that's how we all learn, and we are eager to share ideas with others.

• Like 1