Holy hotflashes batman.......I am melting

Rhonda

I know you're not going to want to hear this, but I experienced one hot flash 20+ years ago and now at age 72 do not anticipate any more. Just lucky, I guess!

As for Mother Nature's weather temps, I bless the man who invented air conditioning and do not venture very far out of doors.

I'm not much use, either, Rhonda - when I went thru menopause I was so totally busy/consumed/overworked/crazified looking after my demented mom that I honestly don't remember any of the classic joys of MP. I have had the rare hotflash since and immediately go stand in front of the fan I have going all the time in the bedroom, but they are don't happen often.

Of course, with the weather being what it seems to be nearly everywhere (91+ and sticky humid here today, with at least another week of same or worse forecast), we're all gonna need those icepacks, fans, icy washcloths right out of the freezer....

And my neighbors and I are reminding each other that we'll look back quite fondly on this heat along about January, when it's ten to twenty below zero.

• Like 1

Is it normal to feel sick to your stomach for a few minutes? I guess maybe its time to make Dr Apt. Just to make sure all is ok. Thank you for the advice def going to try some of them.

I started having them when I was about 35, I'm now 63 and still having them. My grandmother had them until she was in her 70s. Cold wash cloths help and in some cases a cold shower is necessary. My trouble is they never happen during the winter months when I'm freezing. Night sweats, mood swings, weight gain and dry skin are also some of the joys of MP. There are others that I can't remember at the moment. I refuse to take anything for then either. My mother took Premarin for years and developed breast cancer because of it. I'll just tough it out rather than become a victim.

• Like 1

my hot flashes were horrible for about 3 years, I am sorry your going through this. I hadn't had night sweats up until that point, then the hot flashes stopped and the night sweats started. I'd be hard pressed to decide which was worse. I noticed if I was concentrating on something it would trigger one. My face would start flushing, so I would jump up and grab an ice pack, try to hold it at bay. I don't know if being sick to your stomach is normal, but I was. A doctor appointment is a good idea. Good luck & stay close to a fan :)

After surgery to remove things I was on Premarin for almost twenty years, then eased off of it about six or seven years ago. I get occasional hot flashes. a nice washxloth wet with cool warer across the back of the neck helps, also the fan. The worst I ever had was when the doctor in Tallahassee added slow-release niacin to my Lipitor; in addition to heatwaves and sweats addd burning, FIERCELy itchy skin. I now have a homeopathic method to reduce cholesterol (wish it worked on my trilipids) that our new doctor approved. I still get the occasional hot flash, but they like the wet washcloth and fan treatment. It's a carry over from growing up in South Florida without air conditioning.

I started with the hot flashes last year- got them every 5-10 minutes, they would start in my back and move up to my neck and face. It was weird. Sometimes I could go several months without a single one.

I started taking Black Cohash and that seems to have made them less intense and a more infrequent. Yeah, this summer has been a bear. I finally purchased a small personal fan for my desk at work, which does the trick. At home I just have a fan on me all of the time! LOL I have done the ice pak on occasion as well.

Holly- I've heard before that niacin can cause flushing....so I've reduced the amount of bread I eat and make sure I don't take supplements that contain a lot of niacin.The other factor with my hotflashes has been my blood pressure; doc added some additional meds because it wasn't getting down to an acceptable level....now that it is getting more under control, the hot flashes seem to be getting better as well.

So hang in there - see your doctor- and pass the ice pak, please! :)

I've had these for almost 10 years (another bad gene I inherited). The only thing I have found is to keep ice water near by, and at the first inkling start drinking it. The trouble is realizing that I am about to have one and getting the water in time because I am usually involved in something. Hot flashes are really awful when you are standing in a classroom in front of students - I'm sure that they thought I was angry about something when I wasn't. Little things like suddenly becoming animated from a calm state, thinking about something I forgot/needed to do, getting near the heat fan of the overhead projector, etc. are triggers.

I can relate! Its not that hot here in northern NM but I have enough heat to make up for it! This has been going on for 15 years! I can't take anything for mine so I just take cool showers and stay out of the sun.

I had a hysterectomy very young and immediately started with the hot flashes. I tried the hormone supplement for 3 months and then decided that the hot flashes were better than the side effects of the HRT. We have far too many cancer patients in my family to want to risk the HRT. I toughed it out and they eventually calmed down. Unfortunately, the hot flashes returned when I reached my late 40's, subsided, and then returned again in my late 50's. The MD said that some folks bodies produce enough natural hormones even w/o the female parts to bring on the menopause symptoms at the normal menopause ages. They also said that stress can bring them on which was probably the cause of my 40's episode. All the tricks mentioned above are things I did too. Only time brought the permanent relief.

Is it normal to feel sick to your stomach for a few minutes? I guess maybe its time to make Dr Apt. Just to make sure all is ok. Thank you for the advice def going to try some of them.

I did. That's how I knew one was coming.

I feel so bad for those who are still having the hot flashes,especially in summer! I started having night sweats a couple years before full menopause,but it was just here and there I'd occasionally wake up with a damp chest. That didn't last long. But the mood swings were Horrid! I couldn't stand my own self,was forgetful,and,weepy,and,cross(Nicest word I can use here!). My employer at a daycare at the time was the one who told me I was starting 'the change'. I laughed at her,at first,but she had known me well for years. Soon it was no joke. Hormone pills seemed to make me feel worse,so those were out quickly. I did take anti-anxiety medication at the time and that seemed to help,along with Nature just taking it's course. I don't know if a woman's cycle or fertility history makes a difference in how menopause affects us individually. I was so horribly irregular,from my very first cycle,that I had to take fertility medication in order to have my 2 children. I hope you each find whatever works to help you-and Rhonda,yes,see you doctor!! Being a woman is something else-mostly good though!

Wow. I feel incredibly lucky. And my hotflashes don't flash. They last and last. I have several medical issues that make me much different than the 'normal' person. For me, a hysterectomy at 31 was a miracle. But, it left me with a few problems. I am completely dependent on hormones and have too severe of side effects to go without them. Although there is nothing that can be done, my cholesterol reads above 600 regardless of my weight, diet, etc. Most uncomfortable of all, they told me my internal thermometer is broken. I cannot tolerate the heat. My body won't regulate it. I am almost always too warm except when it gets below about 40. It's helped me become a social recluse (I have friends, family, activities, a 5 yr. old) but whenever possible, I like to stay home where the temperature around me is better regulated. Oh yea, and if any of you ever meet me, I'm the one wearing the headband :)

• Like 1

Today seems better as it is overcast I have only had 5 or 6 today a vast improvement over the past few weeks. I think the mood swings are making me crazy I cried today because I dropped a fimo clay piece of bacon and then stepped on it, and I have like 50 more pieces sheesh!!!! Perhaps I will just lock myself in my craft room with a fan for the next 6 months! Thank you again for the replies I think sometimes we forget there are a bunch of women out there who have been through things we are experiencing. It makes you feel not so alone in your misery LOL!!!

• Like 2

I had a hysterectomy at 27, so I know how hard it is to be young when that happens. I was on HRT (prem.) but during the big HRT cancer scare the doctor took me off of them. As far as your heat intolerance, have you had you thyroid checked? I have hypothyroidism which causes heat intolerance. I very seldom even sweat, just continue feeling like I'm on fire. Maybe if you haven't had it checked maybe you should? Just a thought...I wish you luck feeling better.

Nan, I hope you're taking thyroid-replacement meds; I've been on them for nearly 20 years; first the dosage was increased, but ;I had labs drawn two weeks ago for today's appointment, and the dose got dropped a tad.

Holly, yes I have been on meds for thyroid for 25 years. I was saying heat intolerance was a symptom of that. And yes when you have it your blood is drawn a lot to keep an eye on it. Good luck with your appointment.

I have an incredible heat intolerance and lately I've been "too hot" all the time. Unfortunately, if you're a woman between the ages of 12 and 90, every doctor has just two words for any ailment: hot flashes. I guess I've had one hot flash lasting 24/7 for the last 20 years then.

If you are having hot flashes continually in hot weather though, you could try this: I take a T-shirt and soak it under warm water till it's completely wet. Then I wear it and if it's really hot, I wear it in front of a fan. Soaking it in warm water means you won't be shocked by a cold T-shirt going on and it cools almost immediately, so while it's warm to put on, it will promptly cool down and get you more comfortable. And you might get a lot of whistles. Other than that, all I can say if you have one is "pool". And if you have a pool, can I come over and live in it?