Tuppynme: my Orchid build

Tuppynme

At long last, tonight I worked out how to post my photo's of my 'Orchid' build.

Pic's are now in my gallery.

I have sooooo enjoyed this project.

Now creating furnature.

Our local libary was good enough to bring in a couple of books on making minature furnishings.

Keeping it basic as have very little experience.

I can always up grade as I move along and it will be interesting to re furbish every now and then.

Today I have been working on the big bed and the linnen, also a padded chair, both still a work in progress.

I have been reading everyones posts and have learn't quite a bit since joining this forum.

A big thank you to all members for the encouragement that you give one another.

Gail

I couldn't be in this hobby if it weren't for making alot of my own stuff or dollar store finds,plus you will get better and better and be so proud of your accomplishments.I haven't graduated to power tools,yet,but maybe some day! The fun we have is worth the sometime frustrations,I think! Enjoy!

Holly, I was so looking foward to getting rid of all that scrap that kept getting into a tangle as I sorted thru to find a piece or confirm a part BUT as I was doing the big tidy up I could see the value in hanging on to these parts. So now all the frame is stored back in the box and the smaller pop outs are in another container and kept close by to rummage thru in case there is something that can work with in there.

I also have a small collection of Balsa letf over from the days my youngest son was building radio controlled model aeroplanes.

Soooooo handy!

Hello,Katherine! You are definitely not alone in feeling overwhelmed! But the joy you'll get out of it in the long run will make all the difference! Why don't you go over to the New Members Introductions forum,under "Front Office" and tell us more about yourself and what you are building. More members will notice that post first and you will soon have all kinds of help and advice! I know you will end up having a blast as you and your little boy share this time together. 'See' you later! Kat

What threw me is the directions mentioned painting, staining, etc. before putting it all together. I didn't have anything like that ready. I printed out the online instructions which are easy to read and THERE ARE PICTURES! Thank you for the welcome and for the information.

Katherine, invest in a roll of masking tape or painter's tape and put your kit together with that first, instead of glue. You can shave/ sand the tabs and slots for a more exact fit and get a feel for putting the kit together without committing yourself irrevocably. It's what we call dry fitting, and it lets you see how the house goes together and gives you a chance to let the house tell you what it wants to look like. Then you can also decide what you want to stain, to paint or to paper.

Hi Katherine! I've been building for a while and still feel overwhelmed when starting something new! Hang in there.....one baby step at a time and ask lots of questions! This is a really helpful bunch of people! :)