Dolls. 1/12 scale...help...need to find a good doll.

7 posts in this topic

What kind of doll is afford able? I mean afford able as in I could buy clothes that are less then $10! I have a heidi ott lady but, she kind of scares me. Her wig falls off since i bought her naked and bald. So she has knitted clothes from etsy and a wig from eBay. That right there was $90 put together! Ouch. I've been scouring the web for a nice posable doll hopefully that I can make into a witch for my bakery. I also want to be able to change her clothes more often since, I hate wearing the same clothes all the time! Please help! I also was gifted the Melissa and Doug family dolls that come in the box together. Hasn't been opened since yet again they scare me. Ok the baby does the others are ok.

I am scared of dolls yet, im a miniaturist at heart? Yes yes I am....

Sarah,

I don't really know enough to help you, but I am stuck in Dubai with no access to dolls except expensive courier fees (on top of exchange rate issues too).

I bought a Mad Hatter doll from a doll artist (he is arriving in Dubai on Sunday!), he is my first "proper" doll. But it gets pricey to add to the doll collection.

So I was super excited when I found some Sculpey doll molds at my craft store.

Do you perhaps want to give it a try and make your own doll?

I've seen some amazing tutorials for molded heads, arms and legs - the body is just rolled up cotton wool over pipe cleaners.

Casey's blog (http://caseymini.blogspot.com.es/) is super packed with tutorials and she regularly works on her dolls (fixing Tessie's wigs, making new arms and legs and clothes).

I also bought James Carrington's book http://www.amazon.com/Scale-Character-Figures-Dolls-House/dp/1861081618/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376466542&sr=1-10&keywords=miniature+dolls. His dolls have so much personality and it has a lot of pictures too.

Now I just have to get my courage together and make my own too lol.... I guess they are a bit intimidating - such a small scale to work with and then the emerging personality too!

As for dressing the dolls, I have a few books for 1:12 doll clothing. The internet also has a lot of tutorials and you can use various fabrics to dress them (handkerchiefs, ties, old cotton clothes from the thrift store).

I also have the Melissa & Doug dolls - I bought them for my 6 yr old daughter, but she isn't really a doll person, so I've adopted them, I will be changing their clothes at some point - it just doesn't look comfortable on them!

As for the doll with the hair falling off - have you tried some of the scrapbooking sticky glue dots? They are not fully permanent, so you can change it later if you want to.

Lene

2 people like this

I make everything that goes into my houses, including the little people. I make full-body sculpts AND posable. Sue Heaser's book gave me basic patterns for the bodies and also has some basic patterns for well-off Tudor and Edwardian clothes, which will give you a start. I used to make soft dolls and toys years ago, so I went smaller. It is a major PIA to dress and re-dress such small dolls in removable clothing, especially the ones with the wrapped wire bodies. If my little people need a change of clothes I remove the old duds with scissors and start over dressing them

Sarah,

I had been looking on a site called 'Tom Thumbs Minature Emporium'

The dolls were not too pricy and the advantage for me wasit is an Australian co.

Like Leanne and Holly I am going to attempt making my dolls.

I have gone thru my doll collection and found a couple of porceline dolls I put together years ago and have found a couple that were given to me and I am going to try to re dress them.

The hardest part will be getting the hats un glued without pulling the hair out, lol.

There are lots of sites online that will walk u thru the process of creating your own very special dolls. One site is OOAK, one of a kind.

Leanne I will also have a look at the site you attached, thanks!

Gail

1 person likes this

I either make my own dolls or look for children's dolls that are the smaller scale. They aren't always dollhouse dolls. I even found some Happy meal dolls from MacD's that fit into my houses! I also shrunk cloth doll patterns on my printer that I found on the internet and sewed tiny dolls for my houses. I never feel that the dollhouse dolls have to be perfect human replicas, after all its a doll's house! :)

2 people like this

The Fisher Price Loving Family dolls are close to 1:12, and so are most of the Breyer figures.

1 person likes this

Thank you:) I will surely start with looking into making my own dolls. Maybe then they won't be as creepy since I've made then from scratch. Now to get supplies! Shopping! Yay