smoke from forest fires

Rhonda

Day 3 of not being able to go outside unless it is for a short amount of time. My craft room gets too warm without having a window open for air. While I love my craft room this is one of the times I wish it was part of the main house. I am seriously bored out of my head and wanting to finish the bar in the beacon hill. I have crocheted, wove baskets, attempted a paper bowl, made lamps and perfume bottles from beads, now I am out of little projects that can be done inside!!

The fire/fires are about 25 miles south of me. There are actually 5 fires burning and they have named them the Douglas Complex fire to add to the haze I guess we are also getting smoke from fires in Northern Ca. These fires have been burning a while but the wind was keeping the smoke away from us. Normally from my living room window I can see over 3 ridge tops today I can only see one. Looking up the valley it is all blue from smoke. It does not help that it is partially overcast which is good for the firefighters but bad for air quality.

Rhonda, I feel for you! I live in northern New Mexico and most of the spring and July we were surrounded on three sides by horrendous forest fires. The smoke was really bad plus we don't have air conditioning so unless you open your windows it get very hot. I hope that you remain safe and they get the fires under control soon!

Yes send rain! The smoke in Reno isn't completely awful, but it's enough that being outdoors can be uncomfortable. The weather predicts rain possibly on Sunday. I do hope it comes and put out the fires. I think we're getting smoke from the Tahoe fire.

Geez,I'm in the same boat as y'all-well,almost need one,but not quite! But I do hope it reaches out and quells the fires. I'd have to just give up and die,with my allergic reactions to burning leaves. Trees burning by the acreage would be awful to endure!! So,I'll take my poor soaked friends instead.Stay safe and healthy!

:( Sorry Holly, I hope it subsides soon, for both of us! Checking our forecast though, looks like there's a chance of rain for the next 10 days. :(

Two of the schools I service are undergoing major renovation right now. The rain this summer has really put them behind. So far, about 6 weeks.

I hope the best for everyone who is in harm's way, either fire or smoke. Stay safe!

Id give anything for a little rain to clear this horrible air in Californias central valley.

I love the smell of smoke in the air, but after a few days it does get old. Hope the rain comes.

• 2 weeks later...

I was up in Oregon a few weeks ago and in Reno Nv a few days ago and I had smoke in both places!! Before I left my place we had some smoke from a different fire not to far off from me. I sure hope the fires get put out soon but sadly I dont think that is going to happen to quickly. The Rim fire (northern Ca) is still growing..

I didn't want to hear that, Tracy; we're tentcamping our way to visit our kids.

I tent camped across the U.S. when I was in my twenties :eek: We were ahead of a storm moving east that caught up with us every night. Worst! Thing! Ever!

Hope your trip isn't too wet!

With the Labor Day weekend looming and this particular pair of kids we are hunkered down until next Tuesday AM; and yesterday was the first rain we'd had since arriving. So we hope. We didn't start tent camping until about five years or so ago, when we joined the Alabama Scenic Paddling Trail events; and even for those we mostly use our RV.

We can smell the smoke from somewhere even now! At one point in July we were surrounded on three sides by huge forest fires. It was frightening! We got some rain lately but not very much and we are in a severe drought here. I hope the rains come and the air clears you for Karin and anyone else suffering from the smoke.

I know we were plagued with wildfires for several years in Central FL and this year's rain is just beginning to make up for the past five years' drought. I hope y'all's turn for rain comes soon, and meantime the fires come under control. A lot of our bad fires weren't even lightning strikes, but either arson or carelessness.