Veteran builder/collector, newbie member

Hello,

I've been a miniature "builder" and collector since childhood, and after a dozen or so years out of it, I've recently come back to it.

Peripheral neuropathy in my hands (lasting effects of chemotherapy three years ago) has made it a challenge to work in miniature, but I've decided it would be a great form of therapy to keep my hands functional.

I still have my original dollhouse, a 1970s Duracraft San Franciscan, which has been in storage for a decade and needs a complete overhaul.

I also have what I think is a custom built structure, a two-story, front-opening "Main Street" shop that I've been gathering materials for for ages, and that is my current starting project.

I realized I don't really know any other dollhouse miniaturists (I know lots of HO scale railroad modelers, which I've also dabbled in), so I found this forum and really liked the layout and feel of it.

I'm hoping someday to acquire a Greenleaf kit, as I've always admired the craftsmanship, but for now I am concentrating on refurbishing/restoration.

I look forward to chatting with you. :)

• Like 1

Hi Andrea, and welcome to the forum! After 5 posts you can start a gallery and post photos, and I'm sure others are as curious as I am to see what the shop looks like that you're working on. And if you're planning to rehab the San Franciscan you'll want before/during and after photos as a record of your work. So wander around the forum and make some comments...you'll have five posts in no time, and then you can add your images!

Welcome,Andrea! So glad you've come back to miniatures! I've only been here a few months,and have learned alot from others to help me with my 1st and current build,a Dura-Craft Ashley/pizza place (no pix yet!). You might have some fun going through the gallery section and looking up some of the other members' Dura-Craft San Franciscan builds and like Debora,I'm anxious to follow your progress on your Main Street shop! Have fun! Kat

Thank you for the suggestion to look in the member gallery -- it turns out I have the 550 San Franciscan, but I had been slowly replacing/upgrading many of the original detailing with more finely detailed architectural pieces (doors, railings, etc.)

When I get it out of storage (one of these days) I'll post photos. :)

• Like 1

Haha, Holly, I was addicted long ago, then had to take a break due to life circumstances -- but it's amazing how quickly the excitement returned the other day as I was fiddling with the ceiling fan I mentioned in another thread. :)

• Like 1