Growing kittens in my garden

clynn

So I must have inadvertently planted some "kitten" seeds in with my eggplant and peppers this year in our garden, as last night, I found a nest of 4 of them all curled up. I saw the mother yesterday but haven't seen her since so I'm hoping she comes back.

Aren't they darling though?

post-33184-0-46442000-1378500419_thumb.j

• Like 3

Oh,so sweet-nice garden you have there! Hope Mother makes it back,though-there are good foster parent individuals for cats in just about every community,but some shelters will destroy them instead of trying to raise them,so be careful if you have to get help for them. I took some abandoned babies to the wrong 'shelter' here and found out way too late-was misinformed and there was some miscommunication-and I suffered a lot of guilt...but I have since been proudly owned by a mother cat and her 4 now almost 7 month old youngsters! :) Put some water and a tempting treat out and maybe Mother will appear soon. Fingers crossed!

When I had to give up my indoor raised cats to move to a no pet lease locale (No choice) I was really depressed,then the above mentioned feline family adopted us and they are now our 5 porch babies. My landlord never says a word,as they are always outside,and we no longer have the big rat that haunted us our first few weeks here! Cats are the greatest!

we had a feral cat in our neighborhood who left us a package like yours. we got her spayed and got all the kittens into rescue. happy ending is that feral mom is now 10 and still going. won't come near humans but will eat the food.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'm luckier,Holly-or the cats are,anyway! We have a set of 4 that are right at 7 months old,who have never left 'home'. We lost a little female in the 1st couple of weeks,but the remaining 2 boys and 2 girls are fat and sassy! They don't stray far,and luckily we have almost zero traffic on our little lane out here. They bring all kinds of 'gifts' to my doorstep,so I know they are good hunters. Mama cat very obviously had another litter at some point a couple months ago,that sadly never surfaced-and she's always been right there with the older set. I have a 'No pets' lease,but since these fur balls have been on and under my porch (never allowed inside) we've had no more rats,so I think my landlord looks the other way when he comes by! I know we'll eventually have more babies,but this bunch of clowns has just been such a joy!

I don't know about AL, since we haven't had feral cats where we are, but in FL where we lived there was a number you could call and the humane society folks would come out and trap the feral furbabies and neuter them and rerelease them. Because the litters being born around our house didn't live all that long, I figured there was a built-in genetic contraception thing going on and didn't bother, and then one day a 'possum was eating from the bowl of catfood we left out for momma cat and shortly afterwards the field mice tried to take over our house.

So to update on the sweet baby kittens - Mom ran off and left them, so after a day of them wandering around on our deck crying, we went to the pet store and got them droppers and kitten formula to feed them. That may have been one of the cutest things I've ever seen. Even my husband, who is not a fan of cats at all, agreed that it was cute and then wanted to try feeding a few himself.

Thankfully when we went to the pet store, one of the staff is a kitten rescuer, so she agreed to take them and raise them until they are old enough to go to homes. There are 3 boys and 1 girl and they are doing quite well. We haven't seen them in a week, but she still sends us pictures and updated frequently. Very lucky to have found her, as the local SPCA I called asked for a $100 surrender fee and then stated because they are "feral" they will more than likely be humanely euthanized. No thanks!

So glad things are going to turn out well for the kittens,Christiane! They are so worth saving!

We have a kill-only shelter in my county (I call it like it is!). My babies are almost all tamed now,so I don't really consider them feral-they've lived their entire life under my porch or on it!

I'll just be like my late grand aunt who had a bunch of outside felines who kept her yard and house clear of snakes and vermin! When I wanted one for a house pet some 35 years ago,she told me to give her an hour and then come get the one I had pointed out. When I got there she had him in a soft old burlap sack-for his sake and mine,she told me-and after our short ride home,I literally let the cat out of the bag! :p Casey turned out to be one of the sweetest,funniest,best cats I ever had!