New Harry Potter Spinoff Movie *spoiler alert*

Jeffrey

I know there's a few Harry Potter fans here and I'm sure you'll be excited to hear that WB is making a new movie based on the author of one of Harry's schoolbooks "Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/09/12/jk-rowling-to-write-harry-potter-inspired-film/2803671/

I'm super excited because it's going to be written by Rowling herself and it sounds like it might be a series as well.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt's story will start in New York, 70 years before Harry's gets underway.

That makes this story take place in 1910 New York. Very cool!!!

• Like 3

Oh,Kathryn, you are so right! All the new characters-what a blast! I'm like a kid again-watched all the Harry Potter movies with my boys over the years and I'm planning to read the books soon-backwards,yeah,but that's okay! And now this-I can't wait! :D Thanx for the heads-up,Jeff!

• Like 2

The books have quite a lot more than the movies, as usual, and in the case of HP I enjoy both. Recently I read Rowling's Casual Vacancy and her Crystal character reminded me of Matt Lucas' highschool dropout girl character on "Little Britain".

• Like 1

It was well written, but I did enough social work and public health nursing over the course of my life that all the family dysfunction and adolescen angst was a bit to cope with. I'll have to look for The Cuckoos Calling.

• Like 1

Ohhhhhhhh this is exciting! I am a Harry Potter fan come late to the books and movies. My daughter started to read the books and I took her to the first two movies. I lost interest in it and then I started watching the movies and saw all of them. I am now reading my way through the set of books that my daughter abandoned...lol I can't wait to see what they do with this!

• Like 2

I'm one of the original Hobbit/Tolkien fans but only of the books !!!

I'm a cranky old lady when it comes to liking MY movies in my own head and don't want them polluted by someone else's pictures.

I drive my family crazy because I never want to "wreck" my movies by going to the movie theatre.

This goes for all books turned into a movie.

I make the kids read the books first before I'll allow them to see the movies so they have their own pictures first and can be a better critic of how well the book was or was not interpreted.

Awful, aren't I?

• Like 2

No,Selkie,that's a very good idea! I have yet to read the books,as my older son thinks I won't like them as much as the movies....?

Both my boys liked to read the books first,on their own,and usually thought the movies didn't quite do the books justice,with "Harry Potter" or "The Hobbit/LOR". I read "Gone With The Wind" before I ever saw the movie and even though I did like it,the movie was no where near as deep as the book-some of that is good,and understandable,but even as long as the movie was,so much of the story was missed for me.

When my boys were wanting to read Harry Potter,my ex went bananas-wizards and witchcraft and all sorts of awful evil happenings...not our babies!! Ha! I fell in deep the first movie I went to with them and told my ex to chill out! :)

As I understand it,a whole generation of kids were actually reading and comprehending more because of these books and my 2 are still voracious readers in their 20s! I will probably wind up going to see this new Rowling movie with the two of them for old times' sake!:)

I just watched "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of The Rings" movies last month and cannot wait for the next "Hobbit"! The 'extras' on the LOR dvds-of what all it took to make these incredible films-will take you hours and hours to go through,(grab some pizza or popcorn!)but you will be amazed! Peter Jackson is incredible! The whole cast and crew is amazing! Okay,so I get excited a little....:)

• Like 2

I looked up Casual Victim and Cuckoo's Calling on amazon.com The reviews for Casual Victim weren't terribly enthusiastic. I downloaded Cuckoo's Calling on my Kindle and have been hard put to pull myself away from it today. Having just buried Inspector Morse, I was ready for another rough-cut cop or private eye, Rowling's writing style is similar to that of Colin Dexter, the creator of E. Morse*; I feel at home with both. They are literate, complex, yet clean -- if that makes any sense.

*I hung in there long enough to find out Morse's given name. No wonder he preferred simply "Morse".

Great teaser,Holly;now I'll just have to read to see who Glorfindel is-or at least wait until Sunday when the boy gets home and I ask him. :) And I'm so glad there are so many fans of Rowling here-it will encourage me to explore!

Well of course no movie comes even close to the mental images reading the book forms; and movies are a much different genre, so there will be all sorts of artistic differences, too; but if any of you LOTR fans recall those AWFUL Ralph Bakshi versions, Peter Jackson's versions aren't half bad. I wasn't exactly happy with his remake of "King Kong" until DS#2 (the only one who shares my tastes in movies) suggested turning off the color and watching it in B&W. I still love the 1933 version, but Andy Serkis' King Kong was really neat.

Casual Vacancy was a really downer story, but it was about really downer subjects and JK Rowling can write.

Okay,I knew Peter Jackson did the King Kong remake,but Andy Serkis did King Kong himself-?? Whoa! I skipped that one-just not my kinda movie. Buuut as Andy Serkis is my new crush,after the crazy job he did as Gollum,I will have to see it,I guess! If you haven't seen the 'extras' on the LOR dvds,you have to get them and make time to watch how they created Gollum (special effects to create him for the screen,I mean), and how much of him IS Andy. This guy is incredibly talented!!! ( And King Kong,too?!) Of course,longtime fans of the movies will know all that already. But it's a whole new thing for me and I'm loving it!

I don't watch a movie if I've read the book, but I will read a book after seeing a movie and find it a satisfying experience. The book, of course, presents far more detail, and I'm able to override the movie images with images of my own. :)

I was waiting with great anticipation of the Hobbit movie and I was so disappointed. A small book like that should have been done in ONE movie.....not three! I don't need extended scenes with explosions and battles that last a half hour! LOL I guess I am showing my age but there isn't much acting in the newer movies. Its all graphics and sound! Just my opinion.

I do agree with you about all the action scenes,Roxy-and I haven't read the books yet. They are not what I usually choose to watch. But it still grabbed me! Maybe it's good in my case I haven't read any of the series of books in discussion. My son claims that I might not care for "The Lord of The Rings" Or "The Hobbit" books-I'm going to have to get him to give a reason why he said that!!He loved them....?

I actually quit reading fiction a long time ago. I prefer nonfiction and biographies,mostly about the U.S. presidencies of the past (not really their politics-more behind the scenes and family life) and I devour anything by David McCullough! One of his books about John Adams,was made into a mini-series or movie,I believe? I read and adored the book,missed out on the onscreen version! Oh,well!