Hello from New Zealand

HelenV

Helen, A 'bach' sounds like such a fun build! I have to admit,I went and looked it up on Wikipedia! ;) Do you pronounce it as in 'bachelor',or as in the composer's name,or maybe there's some other pronunciation? I love that we can learn so much on this Forum,every day! ^_^

There it is -- your muse and inspiration was as near as your maiden name!

Dampen one side of a piece of a regular corrugated cardboard box and pull off the outer layer to expose the corrugated part. It works well for 1:12 scale.

It sure was - I guess I need to learn how to listen better ... lol.

Aha that sounds easy ... thank you ... my son said they have single sided corrugated cardboard at his work for packaging so'll bring me home a piece but if it's not the right size I now know what to use :banana: doing my happy dance cos she's finally coming together

Helen, A 'bach' sounds like such a fun build! I have to admit,I went and looked it up on Wikipedia! ;) Do you pronounce it as in 'bachelor',or as in the composer's name,or maybe there's some other pronunciation? I love that we can learn so much on this Forum,every day! ^_^

Yay for Wikipedia - it's pronounced like bachelor.

I love that we can learn so much here too ... my family are getting used to my "did you know" or "I just learnt".... I'm so pleased I came across this site :)

• Like 2

The single sided corrugated paper ought to work just fine --- and less work. Talk about the universe being behind your project! :thumb:

That's what I'm hoping for ... and I reckon it's definitely all falling into place. Guess I better start preparing my husband for the other houses that will follow...

• Like 2

:hmm: I'd keep mum about the next houses. Maybe he won't notice right away!

Hmmmm... might be a good idea for now as he'll tell me to go back to work to fund them and I'm enjoying not working and having the time to work on my house... might have to start putting money away on the quiet for my next one ...

I peeled off one side of the box the kit came in to make the roof on my Maggie:

She;s not a beach house, however; she's a Florida Cracker family's house.

Aha thanks for showing me it's always helpful for me to be able to visualise things, especially as what I see in my head doesn't often look that way in reality ...

Have to admit I had to Google Florida Cracker houses to see what you were referring too ... very cool - you guys have some amazing styles over there.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Helen. I'm from Melbourne in Aus so just across the way from you :) I also noted that you have a beautiful cat in your profile photo, it's always nice to meet another cat lover.

I see you have suffered the same fate as I have. That of building the house only to find the original plans we have made for it have gone by the by LOL. I have four on the go at the moment, and I run into the same trouble with each and every one (and I'm about to begin building the fifth one). I really will have to discipline myself.

I belong to a miniature group here and of late I've been busy making one inch scale items, so my painting and wallpapering have taken a back seat. However, I will soon be started on those projects again.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your photos.

Welcome Helen. I'm from Melbourne in Aus so just across the way from you :) I also noted that you have a beautiful cat in your profile photo, it's always nice to meet another cat lover.

I see you have suffered the same fate as I have. That of building the house only to find the original plans we have made for it have gone by the by LOL. I have four on the go at the moment, and I run into the same trouble with each and every one (and I'm about to begin building the fifth one). I really will have to discipline myself.

I belong to a miniature group here and of late I've been busy making one inch scale items, so my painting and wallpapering have taken a back seat. However, I will soon be started on those projects again.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your photos.

Hi Jeanie, I've been to Sydney, Deception Bay just out of Brisbane and Coolum for holidays but haven't made it to Melbourne yet (it helps that my sister lived in D Bay and Coolum so costs were minimal - Sydney was also work related so they paid). It is on my one day plan but while I'm not working saving's not really happening.

The beautiful cat in my profile picture is my Ragdoll called Miss T - she's the youngest of my fur/feathered babies - we also have we have 2 dogs; a German shepherd/collie cross and a Chihuahua/mini foxie cross and technically 2 cats but Sprockit my long haired cameo prefers our neighbours and a white budgie called Brick. In my gallery there are a couple of photos of Miss T "helping" with my build.

It is quite interesting how the houses tell us what they'd like to be isn't it ... oh well I'm picking my original plans will happen with a house one day ... that said I do love what she has decided to be.

Oooh that sounds like fun - I checked out the miniature group here at their open/exhibition day and found them quite rude so I don't think I'll be joining there club anytime soon - yay for the internet and this site :)

I have a couple of photo's up but I'm on a go slow at the moment after my silicone filler debacle - http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34280 will tell you about it. I also had my first go at wallpapering the other day and let's just say it was an experience and there will be lots of strategic placing of items when it comes to finishing the room. That was after I had to re cut my paper as I'd cut one sheet from the wrong end... I knew there was a reason that as we've renovated our house I chose paint!!!

Well Helen, if you ever do make it to Melbourne, you must contact me and come along as my guest to the Miniatures group I belong to. They sound to be the complete opposite to the group where you are. We always have a great time each month at our workshops. You can check out our website if you like to see our projects etc. :)

You certainly wouldn't want to be visiting New South Wales at the moment, sadly. Our rain belt just doesn't seem to want to get up there and seems to stop just short of the fires.

Nice to know you are also supervised by a feline. I have four, two siamese and an oriental shorthair plus a dear ex feral moggie. All girls, all divas. I did have German Shepherds but after the last one passed away my husband decided he couldn't cope with the losses anymore so we haven't introduced another ... yet! Oh, and I also had a white budgie (named Sooty of course LOL). She was called a cinnamon lacewing. Very pretty little bird, and such a character.

I've just had a read of your silicone filler debacle. Oh my, I can understand the frustration for sure. The migraines certainly don't help do they. Mine seem to have taken a vacation for the last couple of years. I don't know what I'm doing right, but whatever it is I want to keep doing it. I've had them since I was 13 years of age, so I'm thinking hormones may have had something to do with that (now that I don't have any LOL).

I have been using my first, very basic, dollhouse to experiment upon before trying any task on my 'good' ones. I'm also experimenting with a cladding for outside walls made from egg cartons. I don't think I have the recipe right yet, but will have to question my source at our next meeting ... she is a goldmine of ideas and expertise. It's an interesting look ... a cross between adobe and tudor style exteriors.

I really must set to and get more done on my house. I did the undercoat on the large one, but haven't touched it since (I did put photos in my gallery of that). I'm just so fascinated by making the tiny objects right now so when that dwindles down I will get back to the houses ... :)

Hi Jeanie, I've been to Sydney, Deception Bay just out of Brisbane and Coolum for holidays but haven't made it to Melbourne yet (it helps that my sister lived in D Bay and Coolum so costs were minimal - Sydney was also work related so they paid). It is on my one day plan but while I'm not working saving's not really happening.

The beautiful cat in my profile picture is my Ragdoll called Miss T - she's the youngest of my fur/feathered babies - we also have we have 2 dogs; a German shepherd/collie cross and a Chihuahua/mini foxie cross and technically 2 cats but Sprockit my long haired cameo prefers our neighbours and a white budgie called Brick. In my gallery there are a couple of photos of Miss T "helping" with my build.

It is quite interesting how the houses tell us what they'd like to be isn't it ... oh well I'm picking my original plans will happen with a house one day ... that said I do love what she has decided to be.

Oooh that sounds like fun - I checked out the miniature group here at their open/exhibition day and found them quite rude so I don't think I'll be joining there club anytime soon - yay for the internet and this site :)

I have a couple of photo's up but I'm on a go slow at the moment after my silicone filler debacle - http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34280 will tell you about it. I also had my first go at wallpapering the other day and let's just say it was an experience and there will be lots of strategic placing of items when it comes to finishing the room. That was after I had to re cut my paper as I'd cut one sheet from the wrong end... I knew there was a reason that as we've renovated our house I chose paint!!!

Edited by GenieBird

Well Helen, if you ever do make it to Melbourne, you must contact me and come along as my guest to the Miniatures group I belong to. They sound to be the complete opposite to the group where you are. We always have a great time each month at our workshops. You can check out our website if you like to see our projects etc. :)

You certainly wouldn't want to be visiting New South Wales at the moment, sadly. Our rain belt just doesn't seem to want to get up there and seems to stop just short of the fires.

Nice to know you are also supervised by a feline. I have four, two siamese and an oriental shorthair plus a dear ex feral moggie. All girls, all divas. I did have German Shepherds but after the last one passed away my husband decided he couldn't cope with the losses anymore so we haven't introduced another ... yet! Oh, and I also had a white budgie (named Sooty of course LOL). She was called a cinnamon lacewing. Very pretty little bird, and such a character.

I've just had a read of your silicone filler debacle. Oh my, I can understand the frustration for sure. The migraines certainly don't help do they. Mine seem to have taken a vacation for the last couple of years. I don't know what I'm doing right, but whatever it is I want to keep doing it. I've had them since I was 13 years of age, so I'm thinking hormones may have had something to do with that (now that I don't have any LOL).

I have been using my first, very basic, dollhouse to experiment upon before trying any task on my 'good' ones. I'm also experimenting with a cladding for outside walls made from egg cartons. I don't think I have the recipe right yet, but will have to question my source at our next meeting ... she is a goldmine of ideas and expertise. It's an interesting look ... a cross between adobe and tudor style exteriors.

I really must set to and get more done on my house. I did the undercoat on the large one, but haven't touched it since (I did put photos in my gallery of that). I'm just so fascinated by making the tiny objects right now so when that dwindles down I will get back to the houses ... :)

Thank you Jeanie - I'll be sure to let you know if I make it over there. I've been watching the coverage on the fires and it looks terrible...

Sounds like you've got a lovely fur family - Miss T is my first pedigree cat we've always had moggies but I decided this time I wanted to know some of the likely personality characteristics and she's got them in spades ... I for a little bird budgies have a lot of personality don't they? Our shepherd/collie cross has just turned 12 and is quite arthritic and my husband's not coping with that well (neither am I but someone's got to think of her quality of life) so I dread to think what he'll be like when her day comes.

Yeah the silicone filler was frustrating but the bonus is I learnt it paints up matching the house so if I can learn to use it properly it will be great :) I'm well over the migraines - initially they said I had a virus now who knows.

You're so lucky to have someone you can ask ... sounds like you're having lot's of fun and are being very creative.

Hi Helen. - Welcome to the site.

My friend just purchased the Vermont Jr. dollhouse with a 40% coupon she had for Hobby Lobby, and the kit suggested she should have her colors picked before she starts. She is making a list of her choices, but after reading your welcoming posts, I am going to tell her to listen to the house because after all, it knows best.

I hope you have just as much fun with the colors as we are having. Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know what colors you decided.

• Like 1

Hi Helen. - Welcome to the site.

My friend just purchased the Vermont Jr. dollhouse with a 40% coupon she had for Hobby Lobby, and the kit suggested she should have her colors picked before she starts. She is making a list of her choices, but after reading your welcoming posts, I am going to tell her to listen to the house because after all, it knows best.

I hope you have just as much fun with the colors as we are having. Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know what colors you decided.

Thank you :) Everyone has been so welcoming and helpful.

Oh jealous about the discount coupon ;-) seems New Zealand is not the place to live in for Miniature bargains... I guess on the plus side this will make me very resourceful.

From my experience that's great advice to give your friend - as soon as I received the kit I bought scrapbook paper that I like for the walls ... :oops: at that time I had a picture in my head but once I did the dry build my house spoke and it all changed. On the plus side I'll have to find something to do with that paper so that could justify my next build or 2...

I will keep everyone updated - I've been at a stand still for the last week because I'm fine tuning some thoughts and I've been debating whether to try and add another room to the house but I think I'll leave her as is and save the bashing for when I've got some more experience under my belt. I'll keep the update's going in my Magnolia post in the my first dollhouse forum... My room colours are a little tricky to describe (probably cos I'm not good at that kind of stuff) so when I have them papered I'll post photos.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Helen, FYI, when our beagle/ Tennessee walker hound mix developed osteoarthritis our vet first prescribed a canine anti-inflammatory that seemd to help a little, but when he put her on a canine version of glucosamine with chondroitin the change was phenomenal; she started running with DH again! We were so impressed I began to take it for my own osteoarthritis, since I don't do well with a lot of anti-inflammatories.

Helen, FYI, when our beagle/ Tennessee walker hound mix developed osteoarthritis our vet first prescribed a canine anti-inflammatory that seemd to help a little, but when he put her on a canine version of glucosamine with chondroitin the change was phenomenal; she started running with DH again! We were so impressed I began to take it for my own osteoarthritis, since I don't do well with a lot of anti-inflammatories.

Ooooh that's really great to know - we've had to triple Sheba's medication in the last month so some serious talks have been had with the vet clinic staff etc - When I take Miss T in to have her stitches out (she was fixed last week) I'll ask about it.