A salute to Greenleaf!

rodentraiser

I have been looking at books on houses lately - lots and lots of books and lots and lots of houses. All shapes, sizes, colors, and styles. And I don't think we have ever really given Greenleaf or their house designers the kudus they deserve for their research and reproduction of period dollhouses. It hit me over and over again in looking through the books: I know this house, I recognize that house. All because these houses have been so faithfully reproduced in miniature by Greenleaf. I have come to the conclusion that in the future, I think I will do very little kitbashing on a Greenleaf house. Instead, I'd like to build them exactly as they are made to be built. If I do that, I may look at a book and recognize MY house someday.

My hat is off to you, Greanleaf!

• Like 5

In this vein of thought,hopefully not too far off the topic, I have wondered something that you've given me a chance to ask about-Now,I too have seen many pictures of houses that were so much like many of the Greenleaf models-but Kelly,have you or anyone come across a photo of a real life house like the Orchid? I have looked for and come close to finding a match,but just not quite the same,whereas,yes,some of the other models(I'm still putting names to the 'faces' of GL's kits,so not naming specifics) are so nearly exact copies of real life houses that it is amazing! I'd love to see a real life house that looks just like the Orchid!

• Like 2

In this vein ....I too have seen many pictures of houses that were so much like many of the Greenleaf models-but Kelly,have you or anyone come across a photo of a real life house like the Orchid?

This has come up before. Here's one of the threads. I know the Westville, Arthur, and most of the others are modeled on RL houses. There are more photos here somewhere. Looking...

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16530

I remember reading somewhere in Greenleaf info that the Westville is the only exact duplicate. I have been wrong before.

It's important to me to add my vote in the salute to Greenleaf. I am a huge fan. I've built countless GL kits, all sold, decades ago. They have always been my favorite. Thank you very much, Greenleaf!

I would love to know more about who in the company designed the houses and just more history of the Co. in general. Its my understanding that it was the man who started the company (Deans father? Grandfather? who designed the Beacon Hill.

• Like 1

I remember reading a history that someone produced somewhere. While I remember reading it, I don't remember where it is located - whether it is here on the forum or someplace else. I do know I read it though and it has existed in written form. Wonder if it might have been in an old Gazette?

If I remember or find it, I'll add a link. Hate this old brain that doesn't remember like it used to. Gr-r-r

Oh and my kudos to GL as well. It's the first wooden house I ever built.

I think I know what you might be referring too Selkie. Was it an interview that Gina did for her blog moreminis ?

I do remember that one but I'm not sure that gave the origins did it?

Its always very cool to see these photos. I love Greenleaf Dollhouses as well. My goal is to one day be able to say I've built them all. I also like to do very little bashing of them and keep them as they are originally. They are wonderful.

• Like 1

Just in case someone hasn't seen this - It's from the "about us" on the Greenleaf store page.

Quoted from their page - not my information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

team-greenelaf-550.jpg
The Greenleaf Company Picnic 1986 Greenleaf's Mission

Greenleaf Dollhouses mission is to continue to make dollhouses and miniature collecting an affordable hobby for all to enjoy while providing products that are fit for a king! We are also committed to provide an online resource that welcomes new people into the world of miniatures and a platform for the season veterans to share their knowledge.

Award Winning Design in Miniatures Greenleaf is known world wide as an innovator in style and design. Being as such, we have received recognition amongst miniature organizations, design institutions and hobby associations. Our proudest accomplishment is the outstanding feed back we receive from people like you who actually use our products, because at the end of the day, it’s you who we here at Greenleaf are working for!

Lates News From Greenleaf

The History of Greenleaf Dollhouses

The chain of events that was to become Greenleaf Steel Rule Die Corporation (Greenleaf SRD) began when the plans for this Church wound up in the 10 yr. old hands of Anthony W. Roberts. Diligence, scrap wood, a hand saw and mother time brought change to his little corner of the universe. His project was the talk of the neighborhood and an interested friend's houseguest was brought by to see his handiwork. Mr. Wiley was his name, making dies was his game, he offered 12 year old Anthony a job on the spot.

AW_Clock_194.jpg

1915 was the first year Standard Folding Carton had two die makers and as time passed by, the apprentice became the master. The 30s were hard on most of them, but not Anthony, he had all the overtime he could stand. He saved his money and dreamed of starting his own business. In the spring of 1947 he made his move and opened Greenleaf SRD in a cow barn in upstate Schenevus, NY.

More time passed, the generations changed and so did Greenleaf. The business, now being run by his son Dean, became the worlds largest manufacturer of die cut doll house kits which were marketed under the well known name of Greenleaf Products. In 1986, Dean decided to sell off this part of the business to outside interests, but Greenleaf SRD was contracted to continue on as the manufacturers until 1992. At this point Greenleaf Products started down a long and twisted trail which led to several name changes and owners.

Meanwhile, time rolled by and the generations changed again. With his grandchildren, Lisa and Dean Jr. now running the company, Greenleaf SRD added additional services such as silk screening, laminating and high speed packaging. Even though custom manufacturing has always been the bread and butter of the operations, we did miss being part of the miniature community, so in 1993 we came out with a line of dollhouses which we market under the name Corona Concepts. The Corona line has similar appeal, offering high quality and a large variety of styles and sizes. Many of the current Corona houses are of a more simple design and appeal to entry-level consumers while the Greenleaf houses are more intricate.

As luck would have it, in the winter of 2002 Greenleaf SRD was able to re-acquire the Greenleaf line which was then being marketed under the name of Falls Wood Products. We are currently investing in re-tooling and refining the dies and designs of the Greenleaf Dollhouse line so that the houses can be re-released with the same quality and reliability the Corona Concepts line is well-known for. With the combined lines, Greenleaf and Corona meet the needs of the beginning crafter to the more serious miniature enthusiasts. Both lines will now be manufactured under exacting standards in upstate New York and will provide an exciting and satisfying craft and collectible experience with the widest variety of choice for customers.

• Like 7

I have seen several real houses in upstate NY that do resemble many of the Green leaf designs. Being they are from upstate NY I imagine some of them were inspired by some of the lovely old homes of the region.

Not only do I appreciate the workmanship of the Greenleaf houses, I appreciate this forum where we can share and learn from each other, even if we're working on a different brand of house. :)

Here is the link to MoreMinis (Gina) interview with Dean (MiniMan) in case someone hasn't seen that either. She has a wealth of info on dh history if you check out her section called Links. Someone made reference to her list of pictures of RL houses and you can find that here. Here is her link to a history of dh's. You have to keep clicking on through the time periods as you go. It's very informative. Of course she is always best known for her wonderful assembly instructions and building tips. She is a great promoter of everything GL !! Her project planner is a great tool too.

In this vein of thought,hopefully not too far off the topic, I have wondered something that you've given me a chance to ask about-Now,I too have seen many pictures of houses that were so much like many of the Greenleaf models-but Kelly,have you or anyone come across a photo of a real life house like the Orchid? I have looked for and come close to finding a match,but just not quite the same,whereas,yes,some of the other models(I'm still putting names to the 'faces' of GL's kits,so not naming specifics) are so nearly exact copies of real life houses that it is amazing! I'd love to see a real life house that looks just like the Orchid!

I haven't seen one, but then, I haven't exactly been looking. I just recognize them when they jump out at me. Now I forget, is the Orchid a Corona house?

Yes,The Orchid is in the Corona Concepts line. I have tried hard to find a similar real life model,but haven't yet. May not be one for it-? I just know I fell in love with it almost from the very first spotting of online photos of one,which is one of the things that eventually led me here....:)