Printed Wallpaper

Alexander

I believe all papers will fade some and probably home printed ones more so unless you were using archival papers and inks on a high quality printer. Also someone has recommended spraying both sides with matte sealer before attaching to the walls as a preventive measure for bleeding so maybe that might help with fading. Just a guess on that.

Inks are of hq I am sure because I printed them on a proffessional printer machine. Well... I quess some fading with the aging progress is expected... Future owners must deal with this... My dollhouse has a lid for sun protection and my roomboxes cases too (plastic or plexi-glass). :thankyou:

You've been away far too long! I can tell you that UV rays will suck colors out of everything, if you'll look at my Glencroft pub; I roofed it with black construction paper "slates" and it sat in the front part of my livingroom back from a south wall of windows that, between enormous azaleas and pine trees never got direct sunlight, and the roof has been bleached to tan.

You've been away far too long! I can tell you that UV rays will suck colors out of everything, if you'll look at my Glencroft pub; I roofed it with black construction paper "slates" and it sat in the front part of my livingroom back from a south wall of windows that, between enormous azaleas and pine trees never got direct sunlight, and the roof has been bleached to tan.

Holly, there's a big difference between construction paper and printed materials. I'd almost swear construction paper will fade if it's kept inside a closed cupboard. Well, not quite, but even ordinary incandescent or fluorescent light will effect a major transformation.

Inks fade at a variety of rates. Have you ever noticed prints hanging in public places or a doctor's office that have turned blue over time. The red and yellow inks fade a lot more quickly than the blue ink.And those are professionally printed.

If you want to test a sample, Alexander, put a piece of your printed wallpaper outside in direct sunlight for a day or so and see what happens.

• Like 1

...construction paper will fade if it's kept inside a closed cupboard. Well, not quite, but even ordinary incandescent or fluorescent light will effect a major transformation...

Where were you when I was figuring how to do the roof? And of course you're right about the artificial light sources, too. Eventually I'll find my acrylic paints, dig out the pub and repaint the darned roof!

I'm not an art major,but as a former preschool teacher of about 12 years,I wish I coulda warned you,Holly! I was 'queen of construction paper' for awhile! lol

Alexander,your settings are so beautiful,by the way!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

If anyone uses an Epson printer with their ultrachrome inks, they won't fade or bleed. We have made signs for outside of our shop with mine. They are on the south side of the building in direct sun and exposed to rain, and they still look good. I think most Epson inks are water resistant now, but I think only the ultrachrome is fade resistant.

Any of the wallpaper I have printed was done with ultrachrome ink, and it was just as easy to use as the stuff you buy.

They also make an archival spray - seems like I used to see it in Michael's. It's been years since i had any and it was sort of expensive in my opinion. I had it for spraying on newspaper clippings to try and get them to last longer for scrapbooking preservation. It kept the paper from yellowing as bad over the years. You'd need to print your wallpaper on acid free paper too in addition to archival ink.

• Like 1