My restoration project, Hofco Southern Dynasty

Acp

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forums.

My house is a Hofco Southern Dynasty. Circa 1988. I have recently started restoring it.

It would be great if I could find a copy of a Southern Dynasty Deed, I just want to see what one looks like, I was a child when I received my house so I have no recollection of the deed or knowledge where it could possibly be.

My little sister had a Hofco Federal. I would be interested in seeing pictures of those as well!

Thanks,

Angela

• Like 1

Angela, have you done a Google search for either house? That would be a start. I think some our members may have that house, or at least Hofco houses and can better answer your questions. I'm off to read your introduction and give you my customary welcome :wave:

Hi Angela. I have a few of the hofco houses and each one has a deed. I could scan one and send you a copy if you like. I do not have your model though. I have the farmhouse, classic victorian, americana, and and other simple house.

they are amazing houses!

• Like 1

Hello Minsanity and Havanaholly,

First, thank you for the welcome.

Minsanity I am very jealous you have so many houses! I would love to see the deed even though it is different model than mine.

I'm looking forward to having the ability to post pictures. In the last few weeks I have made a lot of noticable progress.

My next step is bricking the foundation. Most of my work has been exterior so far.

I'm also working on creating a designated workspace for winter.

Hi Holly,

I'm using the same bricks as are already on my Chimneys. They are individual, a lot of work but a much more realistic effect I think.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I can.

Looking forward to the weekend! Going to spend a few hours painting my stairs inside and out. More pictures to come soon. Thank you all for the positive feedback. It can only look better from here. Can't wait to be able to start my own blog.

-Angela

I have one house that I painted them Grey and I like it (my beacon hill). I tried scoring the floor on my hofco house and don't think I have the patience to do that. I love skinny stick floors painted or stained look very realistic although it's time-consuming. I have used coffee stirs too but I like the look of the skinny sticks better it seems to be harder wood and finishes nicer although the skinny sticks are more expensive

Thank you ladies! I purchased grey paint on my way home from work. Also my shutters and door accessories arrived today. I'll post some new photos tomorrow.

-Angela

Sooo...I decided after painting the porch floors once that it was too dark. Then after the second lighter coat I decided it still looks too dark. Ugh! So I'm going to try a MUCH lighter grey tonight and then paint the porch ceilings "haint blue" after some research using Houzz, Southern Living, Benjamin Moore, and Sherwin Williams I have decided on a VERY light aqua blue to ward off miniature evil spirits. I'll post pictures soon. I would rather paint three time and be ecstatic with the results than just satisfied!

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks all!

Angela

• Like 1

then paint the porch ceilings "haint blue" after some research using Houzz, Southern Living, Benjamin Moore, and Sherwin Williams I have decided on a VERY light aqua blue to ward off miniature evil spirits.

You got me curious on the blue paints. On my Spring Fling, that was a planetarium, I painted the ceiling of the porch light blue and added clouds on it too just because I thought it was a good thing to do at the time. My neighbors have a blue porch ceiling and several others in our area have the same. I just love it but I don't have a nice big sitting porch to paint a pretty ceiling on. I just have a little entry way with a tiny porch roof over the steps.

Anyhow, here is some info I found from several different websites and put together just for other to have fun with too. (should be working on my SF but, yet, here I am)

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Haint blue can be seen on doors, shutters, entire buildings and most commonly on porch ceilings all over the world. Milk paint formulas in the early days were mixed in pits dug right on the properties where the painters were working. One ingredient in the milk paint formula was lime. Some think that lime in the blue paint mixtures is what deterred the insects, not the color itself. Most modern paint formulas do not contain lime, so painting your porch ceiling blue may or may not help shoo the bugs away, but it definitely looks good and provides a relaxing “feel”.

The South Carolina Low Country, blue paint has been used on porch ceilings and some say this color blue extends daylight at dusk and helps keep bees, wasps and other insects away. It seems to be a spiritual and cultural custom in the South. In cities such as Savannah you will see the blue color painted on the door frames, porches and window sills of many homes. This blue/green color or “Haint Blue” is not only calming and aesthetically pleasing, but also it apparently helps repel bugs. It also has an important folk lore purpose of warding off evil spirits.

Haint blue paint is reported to have been first used by African slaves to secure the entry of their homes from spirits. According to the Geechee/Gulla culture of the Low Country, the haint blue color represents water which spirits can not pass over.

Haint is a variant of the noun "haunt" meaning supernatural being or ghost. The historical significance of "haint blue" ceilings goes back to slave folklore.

Haints, or haunts, are spirits trapped between the world of the living and the world of the dead. These are not your quiet, floaty, sorrowful ghosts, they are the kind you don’t want to mess with, and the kind you certainly don’t want invading into your humble abode looking for revenge. Luckily, the Gullah people remembered an important footnote to the haint legend. These angry spirits have a kryptonite: they cannot cross water. The safest place would be in an underwater bubble, or perhaps to surround your house with a moat. But the Gullah people had a much more elegant solution. They would dig a pit in the ground, fill it with lime, milk, and whatever pigments they could find, stir it all together, and paint the mixture around every opening into their homes. The haints, confused by these watery pigments, are tricked into thinking they can’t enter.

• Like 2

You sound like me - I get so (what's the word, picky, obsessive, oh no.... particular - yes that sounds better) particular. I hope you don't get frustrated as I do! I get so upset sometimes when things don't turn out as I would like. That is when I put things away for a while. I've said more than once my Beacon Hill was at risk of demolition but to date I've only wondered where the sledge hammer was, never travelled to it. Yes, and I can still have temper tantrums of a 2 year old!

• Like 1

Selkie,That is amazing info! Having only lived in modern suburban and rural neighborhoods down here (South Alabama),I've never been around many old,old Southern homes,so I don't know if any down my way still hold to this tradition. I have been on a tour of a grand old home in downtown Mobile,where the porch ceilings of it and the caretakers' house were painted pale blue,as per authenticity. But,the guide said back then It was done because it was thought to fool insects and spiders into not landing/lighting,etc. there,if I recall correctly what she said. Nothing at all about spirits!!(Never,ever heard anyone of any culture down here say 'haint'!lol) Just tells me there's so many different traditions in the Southern USA that aren't necessarily traditions in my little part of the South! Fun to learn something new!!Thanx!! And on the plus side,the blue porch ceiling looks beautiful on that old house downtown! :)

The articles also say the blue painting was done to fool insects. Also, for a sky effect. But there are several articles and references to the "haint blue".

Anywho, am I completely crazy to be considering purchasing a miniature dining room suite that will cost more than the one in my home? Please tell me I'm not alone!

Oh I can't wait to start the inside but first things first. I know I have to stay on track with the exterior.

Sigh.....

Angela

Thank you Roxy! Hardware going onto the French doors next, then new light fixtures, then a porch railing. Still awaiting arrival of bricks for the foundation :( Please check out my gallery.

• Like 1