Magnolia finally taking shape

HelenV

Finally posted some photo's - think this is the link http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6460

There's a couple of my Ragdoll baby in them and thought I'd give some of my background so I don't come across as too much of a crazy cat lady. I have 2 sons (23 and 18) and a daughter (19) my oldest son lives away from home and is very sporadic with his contact. The other 2 are still at home - both are working. I had to leave my job for health reasons earlier this year (I'm calling it very early retirement as I'm 43) and my pets have been great company - we have 2 dogs; a German shepherd/collie cross and a Chihuahua/mini foxie cross and technically 2 cats but Sprockit my long haired cameo prefers our neighbours and Miss T my Ragdoll and recent addition and lastly a white budgie called Brick.

Oooh,I love your menagerie! I have a no pet lease with my little rented mobile home,but we have a yardful of cats,nonetheless! Two of my sweeties have Siamese markings and lovely blue eyes like your baby girl. Years ago,elsewhere,I had several pet birds; so many pet budgies in fact that a couple of them actually raised babies-I didn't get them for that purpose,but I later learned that they will only breed if there's several of them within hearing distance,and it was so cool to watch them raise the tiny chicks! I'm sorry your health caused you to retire so young,but so glad you get to enjoy your children,your pets and your dollhouse building!!

As for the wall ridges,yes,I think some greenery and vines would just 'sing' with that lovely shade of blue!!

Oooh,I love your menagerie! I have a no pet lease with my little rented mobile home,but we have a yardful of cats,nonetheless! Two of my sweeties have Siamese markings and lovely blue eyes like your baby girl. Years ago,elsewhere,I had several pet birds; so many pet budgies in fact that a couple of them actually raised babies-I didn't get them for that purpose,but I later learned that they will only breed if there's several of them within hearing distance,and it was so cool to watch them raise the tiny chicks! I'm sorry your health caused you to retire so young,but so glad you get to enjoy your children,your pets and your dollhouse building!!

As for the wall ridges,yes,I think some greenery and vines would just 'sing' with that lovely shade of blue!!

Thank you so do I - this the least amount of pets we've had. I bred quails, zebra and bengalese finches and budgies for a while but as I was working full time then I sold up as I just didn't have the time for them. Oh wow it would have really neat having your pet budgies spontaneously breed (probably a lot easier than intentional breeding too). My mother birds made beautiful babies but were quite nasty to them so I have to admit to a twinge of jealousy that you got to watch the babies being raised as they should - I spent a lot of time hand feeding mine.

Oh that must be really hard not being able to have pets - pleased you've got your cats anyway your Siamese marked ones sound beautiful.

I'm hoping my migraine issues are just a cluster thing and will eventually go along with the chronic fatigue I've been suffering, but that said I'm really enjoying life without work and especially my new hobby - I have lots of future projects planned I just haven't told my husband yet... I figured I'd see my Magnolia through to near completion before I drop that bomb shell ...

Thanks for the feedback on the vines it's great to come on here and have people's feedback and advise especially as I don't know anyone who's into miniatures.

I love all the new things I learn here every day and getting to meet people who don't think I'm childish or act like I'm a little off for loving anything to do with dollhouses and miniatures! I'm a caregiver for an elderly lady and she sweetly humors me by listening to me go on and on about dollhouses or looking at anything mini I bring to show her. I'm a bit of a hermit because almost any time I'm in public I'm subject to being exposed to chemical fragrances (perfumes,colognes,etc.) that make me deathly sick. So,I can understand how bad your life can be at times.This hobby is such a blessing to so many!

As for hand raising your birds-wow! I honor you because I know what a tedious and scary thing it can be,after reading so much about it and seeing it done in person by bird breeders. Not me-I'd be scared to death,as I know it has to be done just right! Bravo to you,girl! My budgies were evidently very determined,as they didn't have nesting boxes or anything-just the floor of the cage. I had to carefully put the babies in a makeshift nestbox after they hatched and was so glad when they almost all survived. They were definitely not textbook cases,as I figured the mom would abandon the chicks. 4 out of 5 made it to adults!

When you get ready to landscape, we all will have suggestions for you,I'm sure! I have used floral wire and paper leaves to make vines. I like to wrap my wire tightly around a pencil,to make a coil,which I then stretch out,leaving it with curving shapes instead of rod straight,so it looks more natural (to me) when I glue on the leaves. I will eventually have an album to show,but it's not there now,sorry!

• Like 1

I completely second what you said about being a part of this forum. Oh wow that's really cool that she listens to you - my friends listen politely at present but I'm not sure it'll last.

Oh that must be so tough for you having those allergies I can't even imagine what it would be like to have life limited like that.

Yeah it does seem it is a blessing to many and I feel so lucky to have discovered it.

Awww thank you - it sure was tedious feeding them. Believe it or not it's easier than it looks. That's still so cool what an amazing time it must have been for you. and may I congratulate you on your survival rate that's better than a lot of breeders get!!!

Yay looking forward to the suggestions and learning how to make vines etc ... I have so many ideas rushing through my head but I've got to finish the build first.

• Like 1

Yay looking forward to the suggestions and learning how to make vines etc ... I have so many ideas rushing through my head but I've got to finish the build first.

Not really. I've been known to stop in mid-build to make furniture or other accessories. Sometimes you just need a change of pace.

• Like 2

It's really coming together nicely Helen , and your cat is gorgeous ! We have always had animals - pigs , goats , horses, cats , dogs, and even a pot bellied pig. We had went to the livestock auction and this huge UGLY pig was brought out into the ring and no one was bidding, I felt so bad for her and raised my hand and bid $5 - I thought John was going to have a heart attack on the spot. He was not a happy camper :furious: . I paid a guy $5 to deliver her and we (or I ) named her Petunia . She was a stubborn , mean old thing that tore up and ate my flowers and would chase us , but she was happy and lived her last 4 years happily.

These days it's my german shepherds Zoey , Bella, and Bruno and my Manx cat Toby , but I do want another goat , maybe come spring. :ohyeah:

• Like 1

I'm reading this thinking how frustrated my dad must have been at times when putting my house together. I keep thinking I want to do a build but it seems daunting. A constructed house from Craig's list to rehab is probably the way to go for me. I admire your perseverance. Hang in there!

Doing a rehab is a lot of fun , but doing your own build , though at times can be SO frustrating you want to rip your hair out , :pullhair: is also so rewarding . Sometimes just walking away and working on something else gives you time to think of how to overcome whatever obstacle has been holding you up. It's all part of the fun ! :D

• Like 1

It's really coming together nicely Helen , and your cat is gorgeous ! We have always had animals - pigs , goats , horses, cats , dogs, and even a pot bellied pig. We had went to the livestock auction and this huge UGLY pig was brought out into the ring and no one was bidding, I felt so bad for her and raised my hand and bid $5 - I thought John was going to have a heart attack on the spot. He was not a happy camper :furious: . I paid a guy $5 to deliver her and we (or I ) named her Petunia . She was a stubborn , mean old thing that tore up and ate my flowers and would chase us , but she was happy and lived her last 4 years happily.

These days it's my german shepherds Zoey , Bella, and Bruno and my Manx cat Toby , but I do want another goat , maybe come spring. :ohyeah:

Thank you - so pleased I read lots of how to's on here before I started. Yeah I think she is too ;-)

Hee hee hee that sounds like something I'd do and I had a giggle reading about you buying her - Terry would react the same way. How lovely that she got to spend her last 4 years happily.

Having an animal family as part of your family is great isn't it?

I'm reading this thinking how frustrated my dad must have been at times when putting my house together. I keep thinking I want to do a build but it seems daunting. A constructed house from Craig's list to rehab is probably the way to go for me. I admire your perseverance. Hang in there!

Hi Angela, please don't let my mistakes and venting put you off doing a build - I shared on here for help but also so like minded people could empathise with me as my family haven't caught the miniatures bug - yet. I'm actually really loving it and there's such a sense of accomplishment when I achieve my plan for the day or fix my mistakes that any frustration's are quickly forgotten.

I so admire you for doing a rehab cos to me it seems like it would be really hard work!!!

I do think next time I'll make sure I have a couple of projects on the go so I can take time out if something's proving difficult - but I've got to finish this one before I hit my husband with my plans...

Yes Helen , it is great and they are definitely part of the family. I would be lost without the crazy furry kids ! :D

I love bouncing back & forth between projects , be it houses or furniture or the people I've been attempting , it's just too much fun !! :banana:

• Like 1

I've spent a week deliberating on whether or not to add another room as there's not quite enough sleeping room for me and I want to have a bathroom ... but I have decided to leave her as she is. I have mocked up a bay window seat for the living room which can double as a bed and am now working on making a pull out bed for underneath it ... I also think I'll make a pull out couch so that should solve my sleeping problems.

I have also been side tracked as my brother got married on Sunday and he asked me to speak at it.

And I have found my next project!!!! It's not often you find bargains here in NZ and I saw this house on a NZ auction site and hubby agreed if I could get it cheap I could have it ... I got it for NZ $50 and am super happy :banana: ... I pick it up this arvo. The description said front panel and roof that open up to reveal 3 stories. Houses stairs, a few pieces of outside and other accessories are not built in so whole house could do with a brush up. For some reason I couldn't paste the pictures here so here's a link to them in my gallery ... http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6469

That is such a nice house ! Looking forward to all of your rehab work - lots of fun ahead ! :D

Thanks heaps - I'm looking forward to it too :D!!! I'm sure I'll be asking for lot's of advise. Maybe this house will let me use some of the paper I bought originally for my Magnolia...

• Like 1

That is a fantastic house,Helen,and what an amazing bargain! Your plans for your Magnolia sound great! Yes,lots of fun,as Stacey said! :jump1:

Yeah I'm pretty happy right now - stoked at getting such a bargain :banana: slightly nervous that is won't be as good in real life but I'm sure there's nothing I can't fix and I know where to come to ask for help...

I'm really pleased with my plans for my Magnolia now (I really need to come up with a name for her) and have been on a gluing spree this morning. Once that's set I'll give wallpapering another go and then it's all the windows etc ....

Well my hubby picked up the rehab today and it's going to need more work than I anticipated ... the person selling it neglected to say it has significant water damage to the front and sides - it's made of MDF so it's a bit swollen. On the plus the first thing my husband said was he'd make me a new front :) and has made some other suggestions of what I could do to it. Also the windows open so that's cool. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller as I'd like some money back but we'll see what happens - I've kinda fallen for the house so don't want to give it up and as Terry's going to help me fix it I'm happy to keep it. It's bigger than I expected too but that's ok my children might just have to move out - hee hee.

There are some neat mirrors, pictures, towel racks, shelves and an old type phone stuck to the walls that I'm hoping will be salvageable.

Meanwhile on the Magnolia front my gluing spree has set so I have been cutting wallpaper (right side up this time!!!) for the master bedroom and that's tomorrow's plan. It is so exciting seeing her take shape!!!!

• Like 2

It will look brand new when you get done with it ! I love bouncing back & forth between projects - when one gets me frustrated I go to another. And Helen , I thought of you last night when I realized I had cut my wallpaper upside down - #@$%**** lots of magic words. But I think I can salvage most of it for the ornery Orchid - she is being very difficult !

• Like 2

Sounds like a big project. I agree with Stacey, it can only get better from here. Please post lots of pictures!

it sure will be but I've already got lot's of ideas rolling around in my head so will just leave them percolating for a while - I guess this is the equivalent of the dry build stage...

I sure will post lots of pictures :D ... I'm going to take some close up's of it as is today...

It will look brand new when you get done with it ! I love bouncing back & forth between projects - when one gets me frustrated I go to another. And Helen , I thought of you last night when I realized I had cut my wallpaper upside down - #@$%**** lots of magic words. But I think I can salvage most of it for the ornery Orchid - she is being very difficult !

Hopefully it will look brand new ;-) Have to admit I'm quite pleased to have 2 projects now so if I make another mistake or get frustrated I can work on stripping back the other one.

Oh :oops: ... hope my "mistakes" aren't catching ... I can imagine the magic words you used and I bet I matched them when I did it!!! I hope you can salvage your paper. Oh dear seems like some houses are very difficult to please and your Orchid is one of those.

Well I wallpapered the master bedroom yesterday - I don't think me and wallpapering are friends yet. I don't think I made my wallpaper glue thick enough initially - I was pretty sure I'd broken down the ratios correctly (somehow I don't think one house needs 4 litres of paste). It was a lot easier to manipulate the paper and get rid of bubbles than the lounge - where I used my white wordworking glue... but it didn't stick properly in some places and in the odd spot the paper has rubbed so looks worn :doh:.

I have to say my Magnolia has been very gracious to me with my learning curves (maybe she also senses my self doubt so is gently showing me I can do it) and it was her that reminded me that she is in the process of becoming a much loved family bach that has been in the family for generations, a place where when the people arrive for their holiday they canhear the sea and smell the sea air (and see the sea from the upstairs balconies) and they can feel the memories in the bach and it relaxes them instantly. So as I'm yet to see a perfect bach that has been well used etc I am going to embrace my learning curves - though I'm not so sure about her plans to "wear" some more of the paper to give her an authentic well loved look.

On another note I've been really regretting punching out the fireplace as it takes up so much of the wall and of course this happened after I wallpapered the lounge and I don't have any more of that paper - so I put my thinking cap on and am going to do what I recently saw on a TV programme and build a bookcase in the fireplace gap.

• Like 1