Magnolia finally taking shape

HelenV

...I've been really regretting punching out the fireplace as it takes up so much of the wall ...so I put my thinking cap on and am going to...build a bookcase in the fireplace gap.

You mean like this?

gallery_8_988_214231.jpg

• Like 1

I love your Magnolia's sweet 'history',Helen! What a lovely place it will be! Will look forward to seeing your bookcase idea-sounds very cool!

I tried to reply using multi quote but somehow I've ended up with a multi quote of blanks ... so I'll go with single quotes...

Thanks Kat :) - Terry's family have a Bach in Raglan that was built by his grandad for his great grandmother (it was initially built for a home and after she passed away it became the family Bach) and you can feel the memories etc when you go there so I guess that's kind of what I'm drawing on.You can't see the sea from their but there is a 2 storied place just down the road that has the most amazing view of the bar breaking and you can watch the boats crossing as they come into the harbour so that's where the view comes in...

As long as the bookcase translates into miniature it should be quite cool (that's where Terry comes in -not that he knows it yet- luckily he's a jack of all trades).

You mean like this?

Not quite Holly, I am intending on building a bookcase that actually fits in the fireplace gap - it looked really cool on the show I saw it on. I may have to straighten the top edge to get it to work properly as theirs was in a rectangular fireplace ...

I'm sure the bookcase will be lovely - you just have to roll with punches on these houses - they do have a mind of their own. :bear:

Thanks Stacey I'm quite excited about it - as long as I can pull it off. They sure do have minds of their own - I've been reading about your "Ornery Orchid" and thinking how lucky I am that my Magnolia is being so nice ... but the penny has dropped she's using subtle manipulation and flattery to get what she wants ... :harhar1: - I swear she's doing this behind my back ... hee hee ... Oh well I'll keep rolling with the punches :spar: and wait to see what "my" Bach looks like when finished (though I'll probably keep dreaming and hoping).

The snowstorm kicked up a bad migraine for me last night....grrrrrrrrrrr!

Oh no that's awful for you, sending a big hug and healing prayers your way ... I had to go to my brothers wedding last Sunday with one - I was as drugged up as I could be and still function, worst bit was having to speak and having the shakes from the meds :blush:

First Construction injury! I was nipping the last few briks for the final corner of the foundation and nipped the middle of my palm! OW OW OW! Lots of "magic words" Stacey. At least I didn't get any blood on the house.

• Like 1

Hi Ladies, don't know if I've mentioned this before but there is a product called "Migra Spray" you can get it over the counter. If I can take it at the first warning of a migraine it is helpful and doesn't have so many side effects as the prescription stuff.

Ooooh ouch Angela - hope it heals fast ... gotta love those magic words.

I haven't come across "Migra Spray" here in NZ but am going back to Dr next week so'll ask about it then... though if my suspicions that they are hormonal prove correct I'm hoping they can be balanced out and good-bye migraines.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had to share - I've added the Magnolia to my stash of kits ! :D Brand new from ebay for less than $40 with the shipping , I mean I couldn't pass up a deal like that !! An early Christmas present to myself ! :xmas:

• Like 5

Hi Helen, I am sorry you've had migraines. I know what they can do to you.

Is there any way you could 'stucco' the house and make it look right? I have never built a Magnolia and never used it, but some houses look awesome with that for an exterior.

Hope you continue feeling better.

• Like 1

Just had to share - I've added the Magnolia to my stash of kits ! :D Brand new from ebay for less than $40 with the shipping , I mean I couldn't pass up a deal like that !! An early Christmas present to myself ! :xmas:

That's really awesome Stacey what a great deal!!!! - can't wait to see what your Magnolia decides to be :D.

I was hoping to get the Fairfield for my Christmas present in the Greenleaf sale but I haven't had reply back to my emails asking for a shipping quote so guess I'll be missing out :(

Hi Helen, I am sorry you've had migraines. I know what they can do to you.

Is there any way you could 'stucco' the house and make it look right? I have never built a Magnolia and never used it, but some houses look awesome with that for an exterior.

Hope you continue feeling better.

Thanks Vicki :) they can be debilitating but I'm determined to not let them define my life; they also seem to be tapering off now I've started the HRT.

That's a really great suggestion and I did consider stucco but it's not done much here in NZ and seeing a stuccoed Bach would be rather unusual so I'm just going to be creative with the landscaping and items leaned against the house etc and hope that covers the worst.

• Like 2

I was going to do an update tomorrow but as I'm on this thread I'll do it now. I have been plodding away - my problem is I start to do something and then think of all the other ways I could do it or how it could look if I did this instead etc so I mull it over for a while and then I go to do it and I find myself distracted by something else. Sometimes my brain is more flighty than a bird ... lol.

All that said the shell is very nearly complete - I have finished wallpapering have all the windows done, have finally decided what I'm doing for a front door so that'll go in in the next couple of days - just got to figure out what I'm doing about the French doors. I have nearly completed my window seat, have made my dining room table and 1 chair - the one chair took me hours as it was quite fiddly (it's mission style) and my jig is slightly too big for my saw but it looks pretty good for a first attempt so only 5 more to go.I found a roll of book covering that looks like wood flooring and have trialled a small section as floor boards - it looks really good so that's the floors sorted (well when I cut it all and stick it on the cardboard it is) I'll try and post photo's tomorrow - attention span permitting!

• Like 1

Sounds like you're making good progress Helen . :D Can't wait to see pictures ! I don't think it's being flighty , just so many ideas and options to consider . I think that's why I like to have multiple projects going , when I need a break ( or get tired of doing one thing ) I just bounce on over to another .

Hope the Magnolia isn't one of those bossy ones - might take me awhile to get to her. :) So many houses , so little time .

• Like 2

All of you talking about migraines and hormones. I had BAAAAAAAAD migraines for years. Then, they discovered it was because I took estrogen PILLS. They changed me to patches and good bye migraines. Perhaps one of you have a similar possible solution. My heart goes out to you.

My Magnolia? $25 on craigslist.

• Like 2