Hobby table saw recommendations

thelittlethings

I primarily use a band saw and hand tools. My dream is own a scroll saw because you can do so much more with tiny things on them. I have a regular RL table saw (not mini size) that I use with a tiny tooth size blade made for smaller wood if it's something I can't fit onto the band saw but I find I don't really use the table saw that much. MicroMark makes quality tools and I know some others have Sears and Harbor Freight models.

A few months back I purchased Micro Mark's Micro Lux Mini Tilt Arbor Table Saw and I am very happy with it. I still have to get the (RL) table saw out when cutting large pieces of plywood but for smaller pieces and quick little cuts the Micro Lux cuts beautifully.

Valerie

I too have the mini table saw by Chicago Electric and it is a great little saw. I used a 20% off coupon and got mine for only $32 - well worth every penny ! Harbor Freight has some really great deals.

I, too, have this saw, but find that I use my RL scroll saw more for thicker woods, and also got the Dremel Moto saw and absolutely love it. It's a scroll saw that clamps to a table.

I just got an email notice this morning that MicroMark is having a power tool sale this week and that includes their mini table saw and all the others.

I, too, have this saw, but find that I use my RL scroll saw more for thicker woods, and also got the Dremel Moto saw and absolutely love it. It's a scroll saw that clamps to a table.

I am going to look into that , thanks !

Okay,here is a saw-related question that I hope will fit in okay here; what can one do,if anything,with a 'jigsaw' in our hobby? I have a secondhand one,a Black and Decker,that was left in my possession by someone a long time ago and forgotten about. I have never even turned it on. I know it worked and was fairly new a dozen years ago,but have not had any reason to mess with it. Is it any use in our hobby? I don't know a thing about power tools,but figure I will eventually need to!

Kat if you mean this kind of saw, which I call a jig saw, then Yes !!

41A8iBt0ibL._AA160_.jpg

I use mine a lot - that and my band saw. Love those 2 saws. Only other one that is on my wish list is a scroll saw.

The reason I asked by adding the picture is that some folks call a circular saw a jig saw too. Different areas use different references to different tools. I thought the picture would help any confusion.

I use a jig saw to cut window and door openings. I have a Bosch (which cuts through like cutting butter) and It is a must as I only work with 3/8" plywood. I just used it yesterday to cut 3 openings in the walls of my Queen Anne (assembled) for stained glass panels.

Valerie

I use a jig saw to cut window and door openings. I have a Bosch (which cuts through like cutting butter) and It is a must as I only work with 3/8" plywood. I just used it yesterday to cut 3 openings in the walls of my Queen Anne (assembled) for stained glass panels.

Valerie

Kat--jigsaws are good for heavier wood, and fine cuts. The blade is strong enough to cut straight, but flexible to cut pretty curves and shapes. A scroll saw has a finer blade and works in closer quarters and corners for more elaborate detail cuts. Jigsaws are hand held and you move the tool over the material. Scroll saws are mounted and you move the material to the blade. My jigsaw was my first power tool--a Black and Decker, and it's still going strong 30 years later. Bet yours just needs a new blade.

• Like 1

I had a Dremel scroll saw. My former brother in law used it and burned out the motor. I used it for miniatures and also for cutting out Christmas ornaments. It handles curves very nicely. Some day I'll buy a regular size scroll saw and just used finer blades. I currently use an old Black and Decker jig saw. It's okay.

First,thank you all,ladies,and I emphasize that,not in a sexist way,but as a compliment,cuz it's still fun and new for me to know women who are experts with power tools! I come from an old-fashioned family where none of the females knew a thing about motors,electricity,machinery,or tools-which is a very disadvantageous thing in this hobby,I realize more and more!LOL

And,yes,it's a jig saw-this one is an orange Black and Decker. I don't think it needs anything like a new blade,as I haven't even turned it on. But,I will have a knowledgable person check it out before I even try to use it! It was left at my home-by a long gone-good riddance-ex-boyfriend,a dozen or less years back,and I think it was pretty new then.(but I don't recall seeing it in use) I figured it cuts curves,but I am so glad to know it will do some other things I had hoped it would,like straight cuts and cutting window and door openings. Very cool! When I do get to the point of needing it on a project,I'll ask y'all for more advice,ladies! :bigwink: Thanx!!

For inside cuts, like a window in the middle of a wall, you'll need to make some kind of cut first for the blade to go in. I use a drill bit to make a hole in a corner, then insert the blade and go from there. Sometimes I make a drill hole in each corner so I can turn the corner easier and not break the blade from applying too much pressure as I cut. Often I make diagonal cuts first. It just depends on the size of the opening and how much wiggle room you have. You can also make the initial plunge cut with a dremel first or a Trio or a box cutter instead of a drill bit.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have an old set of miniature woodworking tools from Sears, it's similar to micro mark. I will need to replace the table saw soon. Good to see there is an affordable option at harbor freight. I really try to plan ahead and cut / change door and window openings before the house is assemble.

I'm still having a love affair with my Trio too.  Being able to plunge cut makes it SO much easier for me to zip thru just about any cutting project, especially windows.   The fact that it seals the edges so I don't have to do much sanding is even better.   I still have my little Harbor Freight table saw that I got from Holly and between those and the electric chop saw, life is pretty good.   :)