HELP with shingles

genbug

I am fairly new to doll houses and was wondering if anyone had some tips to share on putting on shingles. Especially cutting them. I am really having a hard time, I need to cut on an angle and break more thn I can use.

I cut mine with scissors, although now that I have an Easy Cutter, I might try it.

I left some notes with your last image in the gallery, so I won't repeat those here. But the one thing I tried on one house that I will never do again is I applied the shingles and waited until everything was dry to cut off the extra overhang. Bad mistake. Awkward and I couldn't get a really clean cut. It took a lot of disguise work and time to fix, and although I'm satisfied with the fix, I wasn't happy about it and it wasn't what I had planned for that house.

I fold a sticky note along the angle, then transfer that line to the shingle. Start placing the shingles from the outside roof edge and work to the gable/mansard roof, etc. I also do the gables, dormers, etc. after the flat surfaces are done so the eye doesn't "see" the cut edges so much.

• Like 3

If you use templates for shingling, you can avoid the cracking shingles every time you cut but you can also cut them with a craft knife or Easy Cutter instead to prevent breaking. You can put masking tape behind them to make them a little sturdier for cutting as well.

Okay, I wasn't going to say it, but every time I see the subject line of this post I crack up thinking, TMI guys! :lol: Though Shingles aren't a laughing matter....in either sense....oh no, here I go again.....

• Like 1

Scissors and knife were lousy for cutting wood shingles (I have also used sandpaper). For the angles, like dormers and gables, I take a piece of scrap paper and lay it next to the join with one edge even with the bottom edge of the roof and fold and crease it along the seam to make a pattern for cutting the shingle.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Scissors and knife were lousy for cutting wood shingles (I have also used sandpaper). For the angles, like dormers and gables, I take a piece of scrap paper and lay it next to the join with one edge even with the bottom edge of the roof and fold and crease it along the seam to make a pattern for cutting the shingle.

I couldn't figure out how to cut shingles for the gables on the Arthur until I read this. Thank you Holly. :banana: