Wee "c" Miniatures Show 2013 - Chicago

I live in NJ and was lucky enough to be able to go to the Philadelphia/Cherry Hill show. I guess it is too much to ask that I be able to go to Chicago as well, but some day I hope to make it.

Have fun, and please share your experience with us.

I like this show - it's the last one of the year in the area, has a good amount of quality vendors and they have a whole room of finished houses and room boxes that people display. I've thought about displaying one of my own, but I don't know a) how I'd get it there and b ) if I'd feel comfortable having people just be able to reach out and touch it.

I like this show - it's the last one of the year in the area, has a good amount of quality vendors and they have a whole room of finished houses and room boxes that people display. I've thought about displaying one of my own, but I don't know a) how I'd get it there and b ) if I'd feel comfortable having people just be able to reach out and touch it.

My first reaction was, Nooooooo! :) I feel very protective, ha ha.

But you could build a plexiglass box to cover it so that it isn't touched.

I was really surprised by the lack of displays at the Philly Mini show. I had expected there to be a lot more than there was but it was more shopping oriented. Maybe it was because I went on the last day.

Brae I think you should display. It would be such a treat to see your work in person. I think you could put a piece of plexi over the back to keep hands outside the house and a sign that politely says do not touch to keep hands off the exterior details. I know I kept my hands to myself if there was a sign that said no touching. People would take the hint. Or you could do the whole glass case thing.

how about an upside down fish tank? LOL

just kidding that would be incredibly heavy. I'm thinking either a thin wooden framed box with plexiglass side inserts screwed into it or if you don't want the edges to break up the view, use the same frame as a gluing jig and the plexiglass could be sealed with clear fishtank adhesive or caulk in the corners and then the frame could be removed.

Plexiglass boxes are actually really easy to build. You can get it in thin (thickness) sheets and cut it on a table saw or most saws just like a sheet of wood. To glue the seams you use basically superglue (hubby knows name of product, but just left so can't ask him). It literally fuses the plastic together. When I used to design masks, my DH made plexi boxes for me to go over the mask (on its display head). Worked great to protect contents and keep fingers off! :)

• Like 1

Methyl ethyl ketone and methylene chloride weld the plexi seams together. DH made me some plexi display boxes for some of my fancier dolls and the last thing he made from plexi was a clear lockbox for his shift's coffee supplies, since the other shifts were making free with them; when the box was literally broken into, the top was cracked through, but none of the seams had broken; he simply glued the cracks back together and the other shifts were too embarrased to do it again.

• Like 1

I checked with DH and he used acetone in a needle tip bottle. He ran the tip of the applicator bottle along the seams and says wicking action draws the acetone in to fuse the edges.

He also wanted me to include the disclaimer that acetone is highly flammable and can go boom, so be careful, follow manufacturers directions, don't use it in an enclosed space, be sure to use safety gear, wear haz mat suit, respirator, etc. (This is the same stuff that we used to get as nail polish remover.)

Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) is bad stuff too.

In all seriousness, for others like me with sensitive respiratory systems, get someone else to do this for you. :)

You got some really wonderful stuff, Brae. I see that you're also an owl person. The biggest thrill for me on our recent trip to the paddler's rendezvous was going to the Hobe Sound Nature Preserve our last day at Jonathan Dickinson and discovering that the red-tailed hawk and barred owl sitting stiff and still on their perches were real! When I did my barrred owl hoot, the one on the perch cocked its head at me! and that's how I deiscovered both birds were live. All the animals they have on display are rescues.

I had not been watching my calendar. I actually spent Saturday driving to an area north of you and buying a bunch of product from a closed miniature store.

I will be at the January "3 Blind Mice" Show. Nothing beats Chicagoland in January...lol .

Brae...give me a call next time. I have an SUV and would be happy to help you out. The protective case is another story. Maybe some electrical fence?

• Like 2

I think they can see it from 6 feet away, don't you? (All in jest :) )

:lol:

We don't give magnifying glasses to see this one...we give binoculars. :lol:

This reminds me when I set off the alarms at a museum by pointing at something over the rope barricade. :hide: :oops:

• Like 1