Has anyone tried replacing the windows in the Rosedale?

permutations

Thanks for the link to the German site. I just spent way too much time drooling over the tiny tools. I love realistic, and this fellow hits it out of the park.

I know!! That's why I was so incredibly frustrated that he made it impossible to buy. I was ready to place a large order, but I will not be treated that way as a customer.

Everything he does WORKS, which completely knocks me out. I can't tell you how badly I want one of his pencils - it WRITES, for crying out loud!! I have artisan-made miniature pencils that look very good, but they don't write. I think he must have mental problems - not the artist, the store owner, who sets these unreasonable policies. He's shooting himself in the foot. He would be just a protected if he used PayPal, and he'd have a lot more business. Apparently, this is not his main source of income.

I have a lot of miniature tools, many of which I bought from a seller in England who is shamefully overpriced. I sort of wish I didn't already have a knife set, because I long for the knife set made by Jose Maria Bolio (Ulus Miniatures). His knife set has real blade edges - so well done. I met him at Philadelphia Miniaturia and talked to him for a long time. He gave me a lot of tips on making things.

I'm going to upload some pix of my miniature collection to a gallery (mini tools from kitchen and workshop, furnishings). It's not a dollhouse, but it will go in the dollhouse.

I have to agree with you on the lack of decent toilets. I went through this while building my SF this year. I don't care for the wood look seats, which limits me to a very few. I want all white - pristine looking. Although I differ from you about the back needing to open. That isn't important to me. The one that Jeffrey likes from HBS looks okay from the outside but it isn't a true 1:12 scale, imo. It is larger than the mini person could reach to sit on. It isn't hotel modern either, imo. It's more 1990's at best. I found one that I thought looked realistic on the outside from a seller in England and when I received it, it was at least 3/4 scale and had the icky brown seat. The seller was great about it but it was discouraging to me that what was advertised, didn't match. The only exterior finish ones I like are priced over $100.00 and I can't justify spending that much on such a tiny part of my collection. There is no view of what the interior looks like of this one. It seems extremely odd to me that all this wonderful modern furniture can be easily made and a toilet can't be created. It would seem that there has to be a market for something other than Victorian or 1900's vintage bathrooms.

• Like 1

Selkie,you are so spot on-I've felt the same way ever since I fell for minis-if so many wonderful minis can be created in so many price ranges-even ones that I can afford!-why,oh,why can't someone market a reasonably priced mini bathroom set that is just every day looking-not Victorian/clunky and not uber Modern/expensive! I'm with Jeffrey-I am not a sculptress myself,but when I eventually get to my Orchid kit I want a small bathroom,so I'll be making what I need out of clay. The bathroom fixtures in Sue Heaser's book are Victorian-no surprise-but I think I think they could be adapted to make it an everyday average realistic bathroom. Okay,that's just my 2 cents worth. :)

Why bother to adapt somebody else's design that you don't really like in the first place? Go Google "toilet design" and use a real life commode as your inspiration. You'll find some waaaay out modern designs out there as well as the usual Home Depot standards.

• Like 1

There was NOT ONE SINGLE TOILET at the Philadelphia Miniaturia show this year. And I wasn't the only one who noticed that. I saw a man walking up and down the aisles calling out, "Toilets? Toilets?" It was funny!

If I'm able to make a decent toilet, I will probably make a mold of it and sell it on eBay. I learned to cast clay in college (I was a sculpture major, as I said), so I have some familiarity with this. The materials today are different, but the principles are the same. It should be do-able.

By the way, I just finished posting a big chunk of my miniature collection in a Gallery Album on this site, over 60 photos. If you look, you'll see how much I looooove working miniatures - perfect replicas. I've spent a fair amount of money on my collection and my brother thinks I'm nuts, but what does he know? It makes me happy. :)

• Like 1

I agree with Kat, I will leave the realism to the imagination! Its fun to see what they come up with that actually works but I am not willing or able to go that far!

By the way, the tv and the fridge I mentioned are Hallmark Christmas ornaments and they are really cute. I am satisfied with those! :)

• Like 1

Perhaps you're right that it isn't noticeable. I have to see one of these windows dry-fitted into the house to tell. Thickening the walls overall with foamcore or siding is another way to go. I'm not opposed to making my own windows, but I'd have to buy one and see how it was put together.

I do make some things that can't be purchased to be exactly how I want. E.g. I'm planning to make a marble-top coffee table because I want a particular design (and I think it would be fun to make). If I make one, I'll probably make extras and sell them on eBay. I also want to make a toilet, though I have a very nice Reutter toilet, because I think I may be able to do better (and it would be fun to try). I'd have bought a toilet from this guy, but he doesn't seem to be making them anymore - doesn't answer my email.

Working miniature toilet, 1:12 scale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84rG0Vnkeqk

Update: I had the great pleasure this evening of speaking to the Potty Master himself - the guy who made this wonderful little working toilet!! It turns out that this 4" working toilet is slightly larger than 1:12 scale, but he is thinking of making a true 1:12 scale toilet for miniature collectors. It wouldn't work, but it would look just like the ones that work. How cool is that?!

• Like 2