I'm grieving the loss of my sweet dog, Milo......

Creamcheese

On November 14, 2013 our sweet dog, Milo died. We found out he was gravely ill about a month or so ago and it has been such a wretched time. We rescued him on 8/29/10 but he was such a wonderful addition to our family and I had so hoped we would have him with us for several more years. I haven't been able to work on any miniatures as I was trying to get him to eat and give him extra love and attention. Sadly on the 14th he would no longer eat anything, even all the special food I was making for him, and his breathing was so difficult that we knew it was time to make his last visit to our vet's office. We spent all that day with him with our arms around him all the while listening to Baroque music. He knew we loved him and we were right with him when he took his last breath that day. Oh, how I miss that little guy. Even on that final day he still found the strength to follow me to our front door when I went out to get our mail that day. He never let me out of his sight.

Right now I placed one of his photos on my work table because I just now began to work on my dollhouse projects again. Just seeing his photo nearby made me feel like he was still with us. This will be a rather sad Thanksgiving without my little man. My other 3 dogs all seem to miss him too. I attached the photo of Milo; this is the picture I have propped up on my work space. I remember that there are lots of pet owners on this forum and somehow it just helped me to write about Milo today.post-13678-0-66462100-1385237540_thumb.j

Susan :(

Susan,I am so sorry for your loss,and I honor you and yours for being the ones to give that so sweet-looking fellow a wonderful,loving home for the time you were allowed with him. May God bless you and comfort you. Kat

• Like 2

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our pets are family to us and they leave a huge whole when they are gone. Sometimes this is hard for others to understand, and they don't understand our grief. Take care of yourself.

• Like 2

Oh Susan, I am so sorry for your loss. Our pets really do become part of our family and leave a huge void when they pass on don't they? What a lucky dog he was to have been rescued by you and so loved and cherished by you all and like Kat I honour you and yours for doing that for him. What a beautiful photo :). Sending big hugs and prayers for God's peace and healing of the grief for you all - pets included.

• Like 2

I am so so sorry to hear about your pup. There are no words to help.

Since you are crafty, I thought perhaps I could offer a suggestion that might ease your pain. When my beloved cat King died, I couldn't bare the thought of losing his favorite kitty toy. It's a little grey mouse that he chewed the tail off of and carried around sometimes. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought two kinds of candle holders. Then I put some stones, a wee flower arrangement, and the toy inside. I put a K outside for his name. When I miss him, I light the candle. When you're ready, perhaps you could make a memorial candle for Milo in a similar way. I had to wait a little while to make mine because I was too sad.

post-1461-0-26796500-1385250751_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Blondie, what a beautiful way to memorialize a beloved pet.

We too have fur kids. I thank everyone who posted here, to comfort Susan and her family. I am grateful to be a part of a group who whether we have ever met, or not, genuinely care for each other.

Susan, I am deeply sorry for your loss and will include you in my prayers. Thank you for letting us know so we can send every bit of support possible, your way.

• Like 1

Susan, I too , am so very sorry for your loss . What an adorable , happy picture to remember him by . I know the pain you and your other dogs are going through , we lost our beloved Fritz at thirteen this past summer , but I'm sure like Milo , he lived a joy filled & happy life .

Susan. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It is heartbreaking. I have lost a few who were so much a part of me. My first, I have the ashes of and he will be buried with me when I go. Another has a special place he is resting. When his sister crosses the rainbow bridge, she will rest beside him.

I don't know if you had thought of it, but when I had to put my babies to rest, I had taken a clip of their fur and a few toenails. I then put those into a few of those mini fill-able ornaments (the backs come off and they are all clear with a tab for hanging). Mine were in the shape of hearts and were only about an inch tall and half an inch deep. After I had done that I glued them shut so they'd never come apart and the hair or nails get lost. For awhile I wore one of them on my neck. The other I had hung on the wall and we now use it as a Christmas ornament on our tree. I suppose you could use one of the fill-able Christmas ornaments as well.

May your heart heal and I hope you know he is waiting for you on the other side of the rainbow bridge and watches you while he's waiting.

Susan, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my sweet Miss Kitty last month, she was old and sick and her heart gave out. She died in my arms. We are so blessed to have our fur babies in our lives, and it is so hard when their short lives are over. I know there is a big hole in your heart right now, and I offer you my deepest condolences for the loss of your beloved Milo.

Take some comfort in knowing that no matter what his life was before you, you gave him a great place with other dogs, and was loved until the end. We've had a number of rescues--dogs, cats, horses and sheep, and hopefully we made their last years happy ones. (It's the only way I can get thru missing them.)

• Like 1

I am so sorry Susan. Love the picture of Milo. What a gentle soul. We have angel ornaments for our dear bassets and Homer's (18 year old wonderful cat) bowtie ID tag that we put on our Christmas tree every year.