2013 Spring Fling Contest Results

Mini Man

Hey there, Maureen :) I keep thinking someone in the know more will answer you. I can only speak for the last 3 years, all of which I have anxiously awaited the kit reveal and participated in.

1) I have no clue if it's even guaranteed there will be a contest.

2) Based on previous years, the kit reveal would be sometime in April or May, I think. It varies and seems to take forever because it is so exciting.

3) The contest deadline has moved from Memorial Day to 4th of July to Labor Day to Halloween.

Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong. But that's what I am thinking.

As Morgan points out, we will not know when or what might be involved in this year's contest or how much time will be allotted or even if there will be a contest until an announcement is made. Producing a product for a contest takes a lot of behind the scenes time, talent, and just plain hard work that we don't see. It's nowhere near Spring yet, and Spring is measured by more than the vernal equinox,which makes its date a shifting target. All this to say, patience, people, patience. Save the anxiety juices for the waning days of the contest when they'll be needed to fuel the adrenalin rushes required to meet the deadline.

(Note: I have no medical training to back up the anxiety juices/adrenalin reference, but it sounded good.) :D

• Like 1

When I first joined GL the Spring Flings were still a newer idea and they were smaller pieces. There was an adorable little arbor that was the official SF. Prior to that there were some small contests.

The SF's were announced on the first day of Spring in March and went through Memorial Day. As the builds got more complicated, it has taken longer and longer to create them on the company's side and thus the announcements have gotten later and later and then ending dates moved later. The time allowed for the build was also lengthened. Then the time for judging became longer and longer so the announcement of winners became later and later.

Here is a link to the contests.

Personally, I wish they would go back to the simpler builds and shorter contests. But that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Selkie, I didn't realize you participated in the very first one :) how cool! I remember begging (harassing) Dean to let us do that heart arbor project since they had just started selling that kit again! It was so fun to see the different entries <3 we still have a ways to go as regards to the Spring Fling for this year. But if there is one, well you know I'll start chatting that it's in the works :)

..... we still have a ways to go as regards to the Spring Fling for this year. But if there is one, well you know I'll start chatting that it's in the works :)

Oh, dear, I don't like the sound of that icky word "IF" in your post .... yikes ... we NEED a contest, please!

It doesn't have to be a brand new design to be a contest. GL could just revive an older one or spiff up one that is lagging in sales to pep up the GL economics. We're very flexible - we just need inspiration to keep building.

• Like 2

Wouldn't this be an excellent time to rerelease the Victorianna? Huh?

I am with Holly, I have been begging for the Victorianna for almost two years. Guess it's time for me to email Green leaf again.

• Like 1

Long ago, in my hidden, more 'responsible' life, I won all of the top awards for creating contests that increased company profits and customer base for a GIANT and worldwide company. There is no way to describe how crazy it feels to watch what happens with this contest every year. I would LOVE to be able to do for Greenleaf what I did for... For whatever it is worth, this contest has NOTHING to do with increasing company profits for Greenleaf. It is ALL about the people who enter. If they wanted to increase profits, there are numerous easy ways they could do this. Instead, they appear to care about what we enjoy. Last year, not many people even entered. I think our best chance of encouraging Greenleaf is to start a head count of who all would enter, IF they are kind enough to provide us with a new contest.

I will count myself, despite the fact I have too much on my schedule already. Do we have number two, three...65, 66...come on folks, let's tell GL how many of us strong we are :)

What am I missing here? Why do you think there might NOT be a contest this year?

Morgan, I cannot imagine you as irresponsible! Why not write to Dean directly with any ideas you might have? Surely there's a way to make us and GL happy with a contest but, after all, it's not money that it's costing them, per se, but merchandise -- the gift certificates are all redeemed and, I'd hope, the cost price of every item that GL has for sale is far less than the retail price!

That said, good luck getting a response to e-mail. I sent them a question back in December, and still haven't gotten a response. Sent that one plus another question last week. Same thing. Not good. Maybe Dean will read this post! I was sort of wondering what ever happened to the "trophy" houses that the winners were to receive and, once upon a time ago, when Gina interviewed Dean, there was mention made of a Tennyson addition (which consisted of a conservatory with a deck above it. I don't see it anywhere in their store, and wondered if or when it might be available. I'm just going to phone them first chance I get this coming week.

Yes, of course, now that I got my feet wet, I will surely participate in the coming contest (gotta think positive here)!

.... we still have a ways to go as regards to the Spring Fling for this year. But if there is one, well you know I'll start chatting that it's in the works :)

What am I missing here? Why do you think there might NOT be a contest this year?

I was quoting Minis on the Edge ... she stated "IF" there is one .... that word indicates there is a possibility of not having one in my take on things.

Morgan, we have done head counts in the past. They can still be found here on the forum when we were releasing a new dollhouse item. Companies don't depend on head counting because people can and do say they'll buy the product but the proof comes when the product comes out and the actual purchase is made ;)

That Victorianna idea... Well, Dean has been teasing us for at least 6 years with that one. I was fortunate enough to get one of the 8 he did in birch back then. He gave six away during the contest season. We had crazy fun but those around back then remembers how and why some good things comes to an end. I don't think Spring Fling is a thing that will end though. I know this month is around the time it's mentioned to me :) I know... It's only the 2nd lol

• Like 1

Selkie, every year I say if because it hasn't been brought to my attention yet that we will have one. I never want to get hopes up when it's only coming from my mouth. I'm just the admin here and don't get to hang out at the actual Greenleaf factory (much to my dismay ;) ) I'd move right in if I could. I just love this brand so much!

• Like 2

When I saw those ornaments of the GL houses that came up on Ebay a couple weeks back (in Ebay thread) I thought they'd make a cute little itty bitty contest.

I would hate to see Dean give up on it because it got too complicated and there were too many fussing about this and that.

Keep it simple and easy for the company but still encourage participation in GL products by having something - even if it's small.

• Like 2

Sorry everyone, I feel like I was confusing by trying to 'say it all' too quickly. Now that I am reading the direction this took since my last post, it's (she smacks herself upside the head) 'Geez, Morgan, make them all think you're an idiot'. I will do my best to clarify better.

Every year people analyze the contest, plead for favorite ideas, beg for the reveal, and yes, even threaten not to enter unless... Well, I had an opinion on that and expressed it kind of catywompus. I will try again.

The Spring Fling is obviously ABOUT people enjoying this contest and my only intent was to stress that. I was not suggesting a headcount as marketing advice. That would be equivelant to thinking one could complete a kit using just glue. Numbers don't lie. But, to use a headcount in marketing you combine it with other numbers, apply them to your specific marketing plan and BAMM! that's where the magic happens! And yes, I have many awards to prove it. No. Sorry. I won't advise Greenleaf on how to raise profits. They probably already get it that their method made their success. I'm just sayin'...I get the frustration and the thought tracks but pleeeeeeeze, let's stick with stuff like 'count me in' and not start the panic and challenge.

Fling facts: the word 'if' has been used many times. There is no 'routine' to the fling. It is ever evolving. It never appears to me to even remotely resemble what the troops are clamoring for, yet, dozens of us have a fantastic time.

Let's all stay positive and hope for the best fling yet. K?

• Like 2

Dean does take things into consideration that's mentioned. He always try something new if it makes good sense for the customers and business :)

Thanks for listening Tracy and passing on info to Dean.

... yet, dozens of us have a fantastic time. Let's all stay positive and hope for the best fling yet. K?

Amen !!! I'm looking forward to whatever comes our way from the greatest little company in the USA !!!

I truly appreciate this little corner of the universe. It's my bright spot in a rather challenging life.

• Like 3

I think (yes, I do!) that we certainly have gone off track here for a number of reasons, the least of all is that no one has said -- or intimated -- that there won't be a contest this year. Of course, there will be a contest this year. Are there still 24 hours in a day? (Dean, did you read that? I'm counting on you not to make a liar out of me!) Whatever I'm working on now, that's just limbering up for the contest!

Selkie -- and Morgan, and Tracy, and everyone who joined in the spirit of things if not the actual craft -- we'll all have even more fun this year than last -- and that's saying something!!! I, for one, am really looking forward to this. SF 2013 was my first venture into any contest of this kind and I had no idea what kind of wonderful cameraderie there was to be had here. Shucks, if there's no GL contest, I think we should make up one of our own -- just for the sheer fun of it!

• Like 1

Well, as a newbie, I would definitely like to try a SF!

I've bought the kit for the other DH contest (Garage building) and it should reach me in Dubai by next week, but that one's due date is in December 2014 - so I don't feel too pressured in the deadline department.

What would the deadline be for the SF, though? I have to ship it overseas before I can go all King Julian on it hehehehehehe :monkeydance:

The 2013 contest got a late start, so the deadline got pushed up as well. In the beginning the contest began the first day of Spring and the deadline was Memorial Day (end of May), a bit over two months, and if you go back and look at those early entries an awful lot of beautiful, creative work can get done in a bit over 2 months.

• Like 1