2013 Spring Fling Contest Results

Mini Man

Ooooo, now I feel badly that I didn't enter the Fling last summer. Life got in the way and I was feeling poorly...but I would love to see another Fling for this year!! Will keep fighting get a and toes crossed!! :bigwink:

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe how close Spring really is. As much as I would love to see specific things in this years fling, I realize, no matter what it is, I will find a way to love it. A part of me wishes they would release the photo, early, so I would have planning time. Oh, well. I do my final planning when I have a dry fit shell in front of me. But right now...I plan like crazy anyway!!! Does anyone else actually write and draw out plans every day starting weeks, even months ahead of time? What do you do? Here's some of what I do.

*Make a list of things I have been saving and would love an excuse to use.

* Search google images for ideas about things that interest me.

* Make lists of new things I would like to try. Last year was egg carton stone. I give that an A+. This year, hmmm... :)

* Make lists of colors, styles, themes, moods, that kind of thing.

* I try to come up with ideas for things I can do on a budget. No matter how hard I try, it's a real challenge to keep my cost down. Once I fall in love with the project, I want to buy fun things I don't have time to make. Starting with a plan helps me, a bit :)

* I love to come up with dolls and critters I have that need a home and ideas for new characters. This year, I have a particular character or three I hope to build for.

Anyone else 'preparing' to fling? :)

• Like 1

Does anyone else actually write and draw out plans every day starting weeks, even months ahead of time? What do you do? Here's some of what I do.

Hmmm ... my approach is far more organic. I look at the kit and either know instantly what it wants to be (examples: heart arbor into ski lift buggy or Adams to Marie Laveau's cottage or houseboat to a floating mansion for frogs with a 2-story ballroom) or stare and stare and have no ideas at all. I'm always delighted to see how others approach the kits that didn't inspire me.

As for the ones I work on, I often Google for detail ideas, but mostly I just forge ahead following my nose. I guess I just get a mental picture of what I want it to look like and then do whatever needs to be done to achieve it.

I certainly can't say my ideas ever pan out. But, I start getting 'antsy' about now to have the picture of the new fling in front of me so somehow, I channel that into creative energy and start dreaming :)

As you may notice, my builds aren't as inspired as yours, Kathie :) A floating mansion for frogs? I'm in love with that build AND it's creativity. I have several ideas for my build this year because I always do. But none as fine as frogs :) (although I will admit I am ignoring the fact a few meece may come into play)

When I decided to post here, as I know I am not alone in fling thinking, I pulled a ding a ling moment (a fling a ling moment?) I was thinking the topic was 2013 fling, not winners. Sorry for posting wrong. I look forward to seeing this years winners :) there...I made it fit. Kind of :)

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't participate in Fling '13...and it's kinda haunted me. I have the kit (I bought two ) and everything. But to read the word IF concerning this year makes my blood run cold. I'm sure there will be one. :please:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just an note to let everyone know that There will not be a Spring Fling this year. I mentioned before when I knew for certain, I'd post here so here I am. There are other things in the works but not Spring fling this year. Sorry Greenleafers

• Like 1

Of course, Greenleaf can do whatever they choose, but what a craven way of getting the word out. I doubt that any other company has the following they have, and the very least should have been an announcement -- and an explanation by Dean. I am extremely disappointed... to the point of being angry about how this was handled, and I know that others here have been looking forward to this a hundred times more than I.

As far as I'm concerned, they've lost me as a committed Greenleafer. Oh, I will still build my minis but except for all of you, who I consider friends now, I've lost my love -- and respect -- for Greenleaf as a company.

I'm sorry, Tracy, uthat you had to be the bearer of this news.

• Like 1

Just an note to let everyone know that There will not be a Spring Fling this year. I mentioned before when I knew for certain, I'd post here so here I am. There are other things in the works but not Spring fling this year. Sorry Greenleafers

Thank you, Tracy. Certainty is better than uncertainty.

• Like 3

I don't think any of us should be surprised that there is no competition this year. If you look at the number of entries last year - less than 30 I think - it must be a huge overhead for Greenleaf for so little interest and return. I must admit to being a non-entrant myself last year so who do I blame, well me and everyone else who gave it a miss I suppose. Its a shame but maybe next year will be different, who knows.

• Like 4

Tracy did say that there are other things in the works. Who knows what the rest of the year may bring! :banana:

Didn't there used to be Halloween contests before the Spring Fling started? Things change but it doesn't mean that something better isn't just around the corner. :bigwink:

• Like 3

I don't think any of us should be surprised that there is no competition this year. If you look at the number of entries last year - less than 30 I think - it must be a huge overhead for Greenleaf for so little interest and return. I must admit to being a non-entrant myself last year so who do I blame, well me and everyone else who gave it a miss I suppose. Its a shame but maybe next year will be different, who knows.

Jo, I agree. Maybe Greenleaf is trying some new ideas that will appeal to more people over all.

We at least have this forum, and for that I'm glad.

• Like 1

Thank you Tracy for letting the Greenleaf family know, other things in the works sounds intruiging and whatever GL shows will be absolutly fab :wub: I know!!!

Hugs to all involved

• Like 6