So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Tropical Storm Cindy is dumping buckets of rain on Kathie & m, only she lives in Algiers/ NOLA, and we all know that is at or a bit below sea level.  Here's praying the levees are holding.

Actually, Holly, Algiers (on the West Bank of the Mississippi River) is on a bluff, well above the river. It's the East Bank (French Quarter & surroundings) that is in a low, bowl-shaped depression. When Bienville and Iberville landed here, they camped on the Algiers bluff as it offered a defensible position against the natives. Engineers sent across the river to scout a place for permanent settlement advised against it, but they settled the French Quarter area anyway. Due to build up of the shoreline from normal river sediment, the FQ is a bit higher than the surrounding area and drains fairly quickly.

The Army Corps of Engineers built miles of new levees and other flood protections after Katrina. The problem is soil saturated from recent rains causing localized flooding. Roads flooded, some power lines down. Nothing major. So far, so good.

Main concern this morning is tornadoes. Two warnings east of the city already this morning, near Slidell and Bay St. Louis, between Holly and me. Batten down the hatches, Holly!

Looks like Cindy has a "dry eye". I don't trust "dry eye" storms. Rita had a dry eyewall and the storm surge was horrific. I know this storm isn't a hurricane but I sure hope people near the coast stay safe as the eyewall comes ashore.

Double red flags flying means STAY OUT OF THE WATER!!! yet the news showed idiots surfers from California on their boards, tempting the storm furies.  I wonder how many of them we'll lose, and how many will be lucky enough to spend the rest of their time here in jail, because its against the law to enter the water when those two red flags are flying; or just the one with the picture of the swimmer with the red bar across it.  It's bad enough that some of the fire & rescue squads have been announcing they can't answer distress calls to rescue swimmers because it's much too dangerous.

Mother nature has gone crazy!!!   Temperatures are suppose to be 102 or higher today here.   We live at an altitude of 7000 Ft above sea level.   It has never been even close to that up here in the clouds!    We are being smoked out from yet another forest fire started again from lightning.  I do not understand how we can have thunderstorms when the humidity is at 9%!    Of course no rain falls so the dry lightning hits the dry forest and off we go with another fire.    I am staying inside with  windows and doors closed and air purifiers running full blast.       I could use some real rain!!!!
Be safe wherever you are!!!   
Happy Summer!!

• Like 1

I just got back from Nashville yesterday.It was a nice 8o degrees there!

It is 7:30 am in Las Vegas and 88 degrees. Forecast  to reach 115 today....:bomb: All the blinds and drapes are close tight, the air conditioner probably will not turn off today. (Thank God I have air conditioning). People living on the streets are in danger today. If they should pass out from the heat they end up with 2nd degree burns from the hot pavement.

• Like 1

The weather has been crazy!  We are having an unusually long hot spell (not that I'm complaining; I do like the warmer weather). Normally we just get a day or two before the fog comes back in.  And Sunday night it rained!  It does not rain in the Bay Area in June, and when it does rain (in other months of the year), the day is gray and cold, not warm and sunny.  I blame the spousal unit, who washed both cars on Sunday and then watered the back yard that evening.  Hope all who are in places with threatening weather (fires, storms, dangerous heat levels) stay safe.  Our thoughts are with you.

• Like 1

One tornado warning for Orleans Parish set off the warning alarm on my phone a couple hours ago. The swirling winds and clouds moved out over Lake Pontchartrain without causing major damage on shore.  Tornado watch in effect until 7 pm.  A pattern of scattered heavy showers has developed, short bursts of sun between relatively brief gully washers. The storm is moving very fast. Got an email from my doctor's office saying they're closed for the day because their power is out. They're only about 6 blocks away from here. Don't know what caused their outage, but electricity here hasn't even flickered. 

There has been no sun at all between our cloudbursts, just gray and more rain.  The ospreys on Osprey Cam have been miserably huddled together to keep warm.  The "babies" are big as momma & daddy now, and every so often one of them has to stretch & flap those huge wings.  Daddy flew in a few moments ago and the nest was so full he just lit & took off again. 

We're still battling smoke from 2 or more forest fires, heat and dust........this is the time of the year when mother nature lets us know that we live in the desert.  I could use a visit to a walk in freezer!    We don't even have AC in our house. 
Hope everyone stays safe from tornadoes and other stuff nature is throwing at us! 

1 hour ago, Roxxie2 said:

We're still battling smoke from 2 or more forest fires, heat and dust........this is the time of the year when mother nature lets us know that we live in the desert.  I could use a visit to a walk in freezer!    We don't even have AC in our house. 
Hope everyone stays safe from tornadoes and other stuff nature is throwing at us! 

Stay cool Roxy! Do you have a swamp cooler instead of AC?

If you start getting cabin fever, make a plan to go watch a movie. It will be nice and cool, and it will distract you all for a little while.

• Like 1

No, Carrie, no swamp cooler, no AC........just ceiling fans.  Until recently we didn't need them up here.   It use to remain cool enough in the day by closing up the house in the day and opening it up at night as it gets down in the 40's at night.  
Go to the movies???    Where?    Usually I go work on my dollhouse and forget all about the heat.  :)

• Like 1

I can't believe this is not getting national attention! Those fires in Mexico and in your area must be contributing to the awful heat you are experiencing. All of those dark carbon air particles are absorbing the sun's heat. It must be miserable out there. 

image.png

47 minutes ago, Sable said:

I can't believe this is not getting national attention! Those fires in Mexico and in your area must be contributing to the awful heat you are experiencing. All of those dark carbon air particles are absorbing the sun's heat. It must be miserable out there. 

You are so right Sable! I did not realize Mexico was a blaze.

• 5 months later...
53 minutes ago, Sable said:

Holly, will you be getting snow?

The snow line in Baldwin County is north of I-65, thank the Lord.  If it ever snows here it will make me change my mind and let the wild horses drag me back to south FL.

It has been snowing for 12 hours in the Atlanta area. It's beautiful, but I'm glad I don't have to go out in it. Don't even have boots to take me out to the mailbox (which is wearing a greeting-card perfect cap of snow). I think there's about 4 inches. But temps should be in the mid 40s  tomorrow, so life will go on.