So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

Sorry I had posted I thought but I guess never hit submit . All is well and we are heading in a bit to the airport . Kauai never really got hit much . It has rained and been windy but only a but more than a typical trip here. The only real bummer has been that the ocean is now very turbulent. No snorkeling but yesterday we saw wind surfers and surfers . SCARY to me . Many of the residents did board up their homes and closed businesses to be safe. 

All I know about the other islands is what I see on the news. Sadly Hawaii got hit hard. 

• Like 2

Well we have waterfalls outside our front door!  There is SO much water coming down!!  AND unfortunately I have to go out today - UGH.  I was going to drive an hour each way to visit my elderly Uncle as I do every fortnight, but not in this weather.  I'll just hang around the shops until it's time to do payroll for our business and bring my boy home from his mentors.  BLAH!!  Still - Spring arrives on Saturday!

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

We get it tomorrow.

Yes, I’ve been thinking about you. We only had that one major band. Lasted about 20 minutes. The rest of the day was drippy rain. Maybe a leaf or two fell. I’m starting to see blue sky. It was a fast mover. 

12 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Are you hanging around? Latest I've heard is that you'll be on the soggy side of a Cat 1

Yup, we pulled in all the yard moveables back in late May and no one has told us to move.  The power companies all had their trucks out today (yes, Labor Day) checking the lines..  I'll top off all the water containers and we have cans and camping food and a gas stove in the RV, so until they tell us to get out of Dodge we'll hunker down.  I'm more worried about Lawanda & Chris.

2 hours ago, NellBell said:

Is this what you call a little tropical storm ? I amazed how you guys handle it. 

I don’t get worried about storms unless they are a category 2 or higher.

However, there is a wave coming off the coast of Africa now that might be of concern to me but I’ll be in France if it makes it to south Florida. I’m putting both my cars into the garage while we are gone and the hurricane shutters will be installed by my son should the need arise. I dislike not being home during the height of hurricane season.

One of the reasons we got the Bahama shutters for all of our windows was for anything higher than Cat 1.  I grew up in West Palm Beach, FL, and I'm in my late 70s, so I've ridden out quite a few storms in the days before NOAA and categories.  Tomorrow we'll lay all the porch furniture over on their sides; the storm is supposed to make landfall tomorrow evening.  The generator has gas in it; we use it to run the fridge.

We just got another estimate for two “impact glass” double french doors. $9,000!!! The other two double doors cost us $5,000 eight years ago. It’s crazy! And it’s hard to find anyone to install anything but the impact glass. While I still have thirty/something sons in the area, I’ll stick with my heavy metal shutters for a bit longer. 

7 hours ago, Sable said:

We just got another estimate for two “impact glass” double french doors. $9,000!!! The other two double doors cost us $5,000 eight years ago. It’s crazy! And it’s hard to find anyone to install anything but the impact glass. While I still have thirty/something sons in the area, I’ll stick with my heavy metal shutters for a bit longer. 

If you don't spend it on the impact glass you'll spend it on either insurance or get dropped and have to replace anything that's damaged or destroyed out of your own pocket.  When we went shopping for our back porch the e$timates were stratospheric! but when we finally found a local contractor we got both the porch AND my 500 sq ft workshop for less than half those porch estimates!

56 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

If you don't spend it on the impact glass you'll spend it on either insurance or get dropped 

Actually, the insurance companies prefer the steel panels. Impact glass still breaks if a projectile hits it. It just won’t penetrate the film. Hurricane insurance deductible is about $5,000 so the homeowner gets stuck with the glass replacement cost, depending on how many windows are smashed. Plus, it could take a year to have it replaced. Knowing this I still put my old shutters on my two impact glass doors on any category 3+ storm. Every three years we have to have an insurance inspection of our home in order to keep our rates down. They check the roof straps and verify that there is protection for all openings. I even have a hurricane resistant garage door. The only opening which doesn’t give my house an A+ rating is the front door. It’s a good steel door (not worth replacing at this time) but it doesn’t have the required label on it so it doesn’t pass. I still get an A rating so my insurance rates are reasonable.

Well, I got coffee, water and towels ready............ LOL. I'm all set. I'm up high enough that the water won't be a problem, and that's the main concern here right now. It'll be okay. Got home from work early and might not go in tomorrow if the roads aren't cleared. I plan on playing veggie on the couch and binge watch something.

Thank you both for checking in.  The last time we had local flooding here from a storm it was from the deluge of rain; we and the folks to the right of us got water in our yards and across the street got some in their garage.  

It's nowhere near a hurricane yet, Kelly.  We've already had our first bands of rain.  With a Cat 1 it's not the storm winds that get you, it's the increased conditions for tornadoes to form that's a problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It's nowhere near a hurricane yet, Kelly.  We've already had our first bands of rain.  With a Cat 1 it's not the storm winds that get you, it's the increased conditions for tornadoes to form that's a problem.

Looks like your in the thick of a strong band now. Stay safe.

3 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

I'm thinking next time we will stay home.  By the time we got settled in the motel Gordon changed direction.   Lesson learned 

The thing is, you don't know if it's going to change direction ... better safe than sorry, eh?

• Like 1

Just now, L Swearengin said:

Kathie, my cat doesn't agree.  Lol.  He is NOT a traveler.

I hear you. Had a cat like that. She was only cooperative if closed inside a pillow case. The motion of the vehicle seemed to calm her while we were unnderway, but if she could see the passing scene she would go bonkers.

• Like 1