So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Sable said:

@havanaholly are you worried about Michael? It looks like it will hit east of you but please be safe.

Not worried for us, we have water bottles filled, gas in the generator, and Bahama shutters on all our windows.  Our son in Tallahassee is in the storm's path, so some worry about him, but he called and has a pretty good plan in place.  BTW, the rain has started.

Its not bad yet in Lake City.  We are projected to get high winds here and now that Michael is a cat 4 , we are under tornado warnings.  We have gas, water and supplies to get thru.  I am expecting to lose power.  Hope everyone in its path stays safe.  Prayers for all. 

1 hour ago, Mini maniac said:

Its not bad yet in Lake City.  We are projected to get high winds here and now that Michael is a cat 4 , we are under tornado warnings.  We have gas, water and supplies to get thru.  I am expecting to lose power.  Hope everyone in its path stays safe.  Prayers for all. 

Please try to stay in touch. Although you will not be in the eye, You are on the dirty side of the storm and those bands will be strong. The howling of the wind is amazing in those bands. The wind in your case will be coming from the south to the north so stay away from the south side of the house.  Please, Stay away from parts of the house which may have trees over it. I’ve only been in the eye of one Cat 3 but in the bands of a Cat 4. Equally scary.  If you have any questions, please ask.

• Like 1

Actually everybody  in Michael's path please stay safe! and do what the emergency people tell you.  On the news last night they reminded folks who need to evacuate to throw their main circuit breakers before they leave.

• Like 1

My daughter lives feet from the divider line between Hurricane and TS warning. And she's on the east of the storm, in S Ga. So as far as I'm concerned, it's hurricane warning there. She has giant pine trees in her yard, and one could take out all 3 bedrooms. When Irma hit there last year, one of those huge trees fell on the house across the street, so it made it more real. She is planning to go to a family members house tonight, and they have gassed up the generator. Thing is, as of now she's supposed to work, but she's hoping they will at least close early. She said many places already are closed. Rain started there a few minutes ago. Interesting though, She's not in the "cone", but still has all the warnings. 

My youngest son switched colleges this year thankfully, because it will still be Cat 2 as it crosses over SW Ga. For Irma, I got to stress about 2 kids, at least it's just 1 now.

My county (south of Atlanta) is expected to receive 4-5" of rain, but not the super high winds. Valdosta (where Anslee is) will get the winds and hard rain, but maybe just a couple inches.

I'm still confused on how living in mid-north Ga recently became hurricane prone!

Everybody stay safe and check in!

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Please try to stay in touch. Although you will not be in the eye, You are on the dirty side of the storm and those bands will be strong. The howling of the wind is amazing in those bands. The wind in your case will be coming from the south to the north so stay away from the south side of the house.  Please, Stay away from parts of the house which may have trees over it. I’ve only been in the eye of one Cat 3 but in the bands of a Cat 4. Equally scary.  If you have any questions, please ask.

Thanks for the heads up.  We are expecting it to get rough starting around 3pm today and deteriorating throughout the evening hours.  I hate that it will be dark out when it is still moving thru.  I am certain that we will lose power so I have filled up tubs and containers with water.  I am on a water well.  Also, we have a safe room but lol, its more on the South side of house. I will keep you posted.  I pray for those in the direct path.  Its really bad.  

25 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Interesting though, She's not in the "cone", but still has all the warnings. 

That’s because the cone is predicting the path of the eyewall not the outerbands which can carry tornadoes, heavy rain and damaging wind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sable said:

Did it get really crazy for you?

Not at all.  Even the wind gusts were about what we normally get in the Fall.  In fact, the sun is shining now!  I'm doing Anna's happy dance with a twirl (don't look, it ain't pretty).

We started getting the rain bands about 2 hours ago. It's a fair amount. The wind hasn't picked up yet. It should peak about 5am. It's predicted to be about 17mph at 7am when kids are at the bus stop, so we'll see what is decided for school.

My daughter in S Ga is almost out of the rain, but the wind is still increasing. Should peak there in about 2 hours. They closed her work finally, so now I'm hoping she'll still go somewhere other than her house for the night.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

There's one whirling around in the eastern Atlantic here:  https://earth.nullschool.net/  This is fast becoming my favorite site for looking at messes in the ocean that might want to come our way.

Holly, That site has been my goto site for many years. Look more closely at just north of the Panama Canal. Very faint, just getting going. Those are the ones that tend to go into the gulf in October. Or not, but I’m watching it anyway. 

Edit: NOAA is looking at it now. The orange blob:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc

I see the whirly I was watching yesterday in the eastern Atlantic is now mid-Atlantic and is now Hurricane Leslie.  Interesting mess brewing between Ireland and Iceland.  Thanks for the NOAA link.

19 hours ago, Sable said:

That’s because the cone is predicting the path of the eyewall not the outerbands which can carry tornadoes, heavy rain and damaging wind. 

We did not have it bad here at all.  We had some winds and rain bands, of course. But just 2 hours west of us a completely different story.  Our sky actually turned purple here which was a strange site.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the ones that are devastated by this storm.  Never trust a hurricane...it does whatever it wants.  

We are on the northwest side of Atlanta. Tropical storm warning yesterday. Rain overnight. Rain gauge, which measures up to 8", was overflowing this morning. Today no rain,  cloudy, with sunshine predicted for this afternoon. My heart goes out to those caught in the path.

That was one hellacious storm! One DIL lives in Roswell, an Atlanta suburb on the northern edge, and they got lots of rain, too; no wind damage.  We joined the rest of the world buying groceries this AM; one of the "tricks" of storm prep is to use up all your perishables you can before the storm hits, in case the power goes out.  Usually running the generator three times a day will hold the stuff in the freezer, but if you have to evacuate you don't want a whole lot of fancy stuff in there; that's when I take it all out to the camper, turn on the propane and set the fridge out there on "gas".