So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

We have made it so far this winter with about 7 snowflakes. Nothing to shovel. :D Can't walk in the back yard for the mud from all the rain, but hey, that will dry up soon enough. 

Impressive amount of snow! Over here as I live in the southerm parts of Sweden it is green, snow drops are in Bloom as ar ethe crocus. It is still cold and chilly during night and in the early morning hours, but there is spring around the corner, not just sure which corner....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anna said:

Impressive amount of snow! Over here as I live in the southerm parts of Sweden it is green, snow drops are in Bloom as ar ethe crocus. It is still cold and chilly during night and in the early morning hours, but there is spring around the corner, not just sure which corner....

Anna, it amazes me how temperate your climate is for how north you are. Does the Gulf Stream originating down here in Florida USA have the same affect on your weather like it does England? 

Edited by Sable

Wow Carrie!  That is incredible!  I have never seen anything like it - must be freezing!!  We have friends in Wisconsin and thankfully they weren't involved in that massive pile-up the other day.  Hope everyone else is safe?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shareb said:

Wow Carrie!  That is incredible!  I have never seen anything like it - must be freezing!!  We have friends in Wisconsin and thankfully they weren't involved in that massive pile-up the other day.  Hope everyone else is safe?

We were thinking we might live up there after we retire......I don't think we would last 2 weeks. Cabin fever is a real thing. The snow is up to the roof

.....The good thing is that it will melt and  fill Lake Mead up a little.....right now it is at its lowest. You can see the concrete plant where they manufactured the cement for the dam and a little Mormon town that was covered can be seen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

We were thinking we might live up there after we retire......I don't think we would last 2 weeks. Cabin fever is a real thing. The snow is up to the roof

.....The good thing is that it will melt and  fill Lake Mead up a little.....right now it is at its lowest. You can see the concrete plant where they manufactured the cement for the dam and a little Mormon town that was covered can be seen.

Yep - I don't think I'd last too long.  Interesting that you can see those things in the lake!  Does the lake freeze??

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019, 6:35:36, Mid-life madness said:

Here is our cabin in southern Utah......I'm glad I am home!

And I've been complaining about the precipitation we've been getting!  At least ours is just rain and doesn't stick on the ground.  That is some amazing snow. No, I don't think you want to retire there.:eek:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sable said:

Anna, it amazes me how temperate your climate is for how north you are. Does the Gulf Stream originating down here in Florida USA have the same affect on your weather like it does England? 

We do indeed Benefit from the Gulf stream, I live in the very southerm parts of Sweden, about on hour drive to the bridge connection Denmark and Sweden and half an hour to the western coast. Since Sweden is so elongated there are very big difference from South to North so to speak, way up north there are so. Much colder as well as amount of snow, northernlight etc yet it only takes 1,5-2 hours to fly up there. Crazy really that there is such a difference in such "small" space which the poor weather forecasters all tell their stories of. 

• Like 1

Well we're now 'officially' in Autumn and certainly the sun has lost it's harshness (thank goodness) and the nights have been cooler (also thank goodness).  But the days are beautiful - clear blue skies, sunny, little wind and warm.  My favourite season of all!!  

Carrie, my parents retired to their home in Jackson Hole, wasn’t too many winters before they decided on Scottsdale instead. That’s what your photo reminded me of, their views all winter and my Dad shoveling out tunnels. 

I hope our Alabama greenleaf members are all ok? Wow, what a tragic storm system that turned out to be. 

• Like 1

The Beauregard, AL, losses made the national news.  Freezing where we are; we attended a boucherie this AM in Eunice, LA; tomorrow we're heading to Mamou for les courirs de Mardi Gras.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

The Beauregard, AL, losses made the national news.  Freezing where we are; we attended a boucherie this AM in Eunice, LA; tomorrow we're heading to Mamou for les courirs de Mardi Gras.

Since you were MIA today I looked up to see how far you are from the devastation, then I was able to breath again.

• Like 1

Thank you, dear heart.  We took off last Thursday to join old paddling/ hiking friends from the Tallahassee, FL, area to spend the countdown to Mardi Gras in Arcadiana.  Today we're headed to Mamou for le courir de Mardi Gras.  Yesterday we went to Eunice for la boucherie; none of us minded we'd missed the actual slaughter and carving up of the hog, but watching folks turning the parts into cracklin's and sausage and ponce and headcheese and all the other tasty things a pig can become was fascinating.  My favorite part was all that glorious Cajun music!  Saturday we were in Church Point for their parade and between that and Friday's tamer parade (no courirs de Marki Gras) in Lafayette the hubs & I acquired tons of beads.

Addition:  Mamou's Mardi Gras is like nothing we have ever seen before!  Everyone wanders around this teensy little Cajun town for hours and hours; finally the word goes out that the American Legion Hall is selling gumbo (HUGE bowls!), so we got some to help thaw out.  Finally the police cars with lights and sirens started coming down the mail street, followed by les courirs on horseback, wearing costumes whose traditions go back at least 1000 years; some of the riders stood up on their horses to dance.  More drama than I wanted, but one of the potential dancers began to fall off his horse as he began to stand, so he was climbing back into the saddle when he lost it completely and fell off backwards, hitting his head on the street when he landed and knocking himself out.  The EMTs arrived as he was regaining consciousness and they walked him back to the ambulance; we figured that he has one hellacious hangover today.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Pacific Northwest, thunderstorms are pretty rare up here, even in spring. So last Saturday night, we not only had thunder and lightning, we had a lightning storm. Something like 8 strikes a minute. This went on for a couple hours. They were hitting transformers, trees, houses, you name it. A game got temporarily stopped, the fair closed early, and streets were flooded.

So what are we doing tonight? Watching thunder and lightning again. In September! This is one for the books.

We need rain too. The current track comes a bit closer in than Dorian if it comes up the east coast so I guess I had better clean the gutters this time :mellow: but at least that means I have a roof which is more than those poor folks in the Bahamas. Thinking about you in Florida too!