So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

Excessive heat warning today....107F for the high. We will have a $500 power bill this month. I hate this weather. 100F is perfect, but once it is 110 the air conditioner cannot keep up and we have to close all the blinds etc.

Go northwest, young people! Here in western Washington we weren't supposed to crack 60° today, although the sun is shining so it may get warmer than that. We had 86°and record breaking heat in May. Now it's June and I finally broke down and put the heat on last night and again this morning. Next Saturday the high temp is projected to be 59°! And I wanted to buy an acre so I could start a large garden? What was I thinking?!? :wacko:

Here in NZ our summer just gone was the hottest on record by far for the whole country.  We were so extremely grateful to have air-con and a pool - which we'd just put in the previous year.  This year it was a life saver!  The summer also lasted a lot longer than normal.  Funny thing is, now we're in winter and we've been told to expect a colder than normal winter!  We've already had two frosts which is unusual for here!

Thunderstorms with gully-washer rains from early this AM until early afternoon, with the water for our part of the county off (we still haven't heard what happened).  The water came back on as we were walking out the door to go find supper, so we kept going.  Today was also primary elections for all the offices to be filled in the November general elections, and turnout was terrible, hopefully because of the weather.

• 1 month later...

We use Intellicast for our local weather, in addition to Alan Sealls, our meteorologist on WKRG in Mobile.  We are into a few days of goat-soaking trash mover rain through Thursday, with flash flood watches.

2 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

We are into a few days of goat-soaking trash mover rain through Thursday, with flash flood watches.

The leading edge of this arrived this afternoon. We're in for it until the weekend.

We have had very unusual warm weather Over here this summer. That has given watering restriktions and " droughts"  and also a dozen or so forest fires. We have had three sprinklersystem of rain and one day with a little more rain since early May. Us Sweden are ao mot used to it... there is even a barn on all BBQ, even in one's own yard, be it by coal or gas, not allowed at all since a week. 

2 hours ago, Anna said:

We have had very unusual warm weather Over here this summer. That has given watering restriktions and " droughts"  and also a dozen or so forest fires. We have had three sprinklersystem of rain and one day with a little more rain since early May. Us Sweden are ao mot used to it... there is even a barn on all BBQ, even in one's own yard, be it by coal or gas, not allowed at all since a week. 

Anna, we're getting rain here in Denmark at the moment and there's supposed to be a ton of rain Saturday night. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will come your way. It was soooooo hot in the house last night. I ended up sleeping in the basement basically right next to the fan. Our poor yard is toast. I dont think my husband watered anything while I was gone to the states.

8 hours ago, SewMini said:

Anna, we're getting rain here in Denmark at the moment and there's supposed to be a ton of rain Saturday night. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will come your way. It was soooooo hot in the house last night. I ended up sleeping in the basement basically right next to the fan. Our poor yard is toast. I dont think my husband watered anything while I was gone to the states.

Yep, the yard is pretty much toast here too, but we can't even do anything much about it as we are only allowed to use watering chans for watering outside, no refilling pools, sprinklersystem or anything and that barn has been since early May. (Back then we were also on alert for the possibilities of not having water from the inside taps either so that is atleast hopefully not a thread anymore) we did get some thunder and much appreciated rain showers along with a thunder and lightning show in Helsingborg where I work, about half n hour drive from home, but just a little shower here at home so still dry as tinder and we are on a continued non-BBQ and open flamma outdoors. Some local festivals that are over the coming weekend have had to change some of its contents as some of the food stalls can't serve the BBQ, some of the artist shows can't use their effects etc. Very unusual weather conditions for sure for us in these parts of the world so to speak.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just happen to be in Kaui and hurricane lane is heading this way. Heading out today to get supplies. I have never been in a hurricane and am well petrified. No flights of the island until Friday and we’ll thats when we will get hard. Suppose to fly out Saturday but we’re preparing that it will be cancelled  

I know some of you have been through this any help in staying calm. 

Amazingly today is sunny so far 

1 hour ago, NellBell said:

So I just happen to be in Kaui and hurricane lane is heading this way. Heading out today to get supplies. I have never been in a hurricane and am well petrified. No flights of the island until Friday and we’ll thats when we will get hard. Suppose to fly out Saturday but we’re preparing that it will be cancelled  

I know some of you have been through this any help in staying calm. 

Amazingly today is sunny so far 

Check local radio/tv stations for information on shelters and when to go to them. 

Close shutters, pull drapes -- anything to keep broken glass from flying into the house.

Remove all loose items from porch, yard, including furniture. It will become flying projectiles.

If not in a shelter, stay in an inner room/hallway during the worst of the blow with flashlights, emergency radio, bedding (both for a soft place to huddle and some protection from falling debris if the roof comes off). Don't rely on candles or any open flame if there is a gas line anywhere near the property.

After the storm, beware of downed power lines. Don't go near them until the power company has done their thing. You can't tell if a line is hot or not by just looking at it.

Odds are that you'll lose internet, but do check in as soon as you can -- we'll be thinking about you!

Your airline will probably call you to reschedule your flight out. I know it’s hard to cut a vacation short but the aftermath of a storm can be very disruptive, no telling when you’ll be able to leave.

im a self proclaimed hurricane expert having been through a few of them. Instead of flashlights buy the mini LED string lights. They last much longer on the AA batteries and give off good light. If you put them into an empty water bottle they act like a lantern. Plus, no one thinks of using them so they will be available even after all the flashlights are sold out. Hawaii’s biggest problem is that they don’t strap down their roofs so do not stay in a single family house. I’ll start monitoring the storm. It’s the eyewall you have to be worried about. 

First I want to says thanks again I knew I’d feel calmer just by hearing from this group  

Thanks for the ideas this is so new to me and I haven’t slept in 24 hours. I’m usually a brave gal but the unknown or not being prepared stresses me out  I’m feeling so much better just getting prepared for it  

Sable I love the light idea I’ll hit the Longs on the  way back. We have bought a lot of water. 

Amazing as it may seem it’s a beautiful day here (won’t let me load a photo though)

i do belive leaving the island may be a pain though 

22 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Cut your vacation short and leave when you can or else find and prepare to go to the local shelter; Lane is already a Category 5 storm.  

We tried today my husbands businees partner also tried and we couldn’t find anything that made sense. Most flights ended up in Maui or Hawaii late tomorrow and they are suppose to be hit the hardest starting tomorrow. 

We have flights this Saturday just worried they will be cancelled  

were suppose to get hit Friday  late in the day  

• Like 1