So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

30 minutes ago, NellBell said:

We tried today my husbands businees partner also tried and we couldn’t find anything that made sense. Most flights ended up in Maui or Hawaii late tomorrow and they are suppose to be hit the hardest starting tomorrow. 

We have flights this Saturday just worried they will be cancelled  

were suppose to get hit Friday  late in the day  

Stay safe Nellie!!!!

If you can get to Honolulu you’ll have easier access to resources, be further from the path of the storm, stay in a well built hotel and be closer to the main airport. 

Edit: I see your point about the timing getting to Honolulu. 

We are just north of Montgomery, AL, heading home this AM and the rain finally stopped and the sun came out yesterday; hope it's this pretty back home at the coast; we have had rain since late May.

19 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

We are just north of Montgomery, AL, heading home this AM and the rain finally stopped and the sun came out yesterday; hope it's this pretty back home at the coast; we have had rain since late May.

Radar indicates clear sailing. Nearest storm system west of Kansas City

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Many thanks! :D

You are welcome ... we are having a series of dry days ahead. It would be a good time to be painting the new porch if the new porch were anywhere near being ready to paint. Whenever I step out on the porch there is a nice breeze. Can't wait to enjoy nice fall weather from the comfort of a screened porch. I may buy a rocking chair. :) 

15 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Are you sure we haven't switched our locations? We haven't had a drop of rain since before June, although we are supposed to get some this week. Maybe.

But at least the wind has cleared all the smoke out. Finally! WOOHOOHOO!

Anyone know how Jeannine is doing in BC with all the fires?

At least the rain on the Big Island isn't making Kilauea explode.  Kelly, we're getting enough smoke from the wildfires out West to make for some pretty sunsets.  Rain is supposed to return this weekend, but it sure was nice to come home in sunshine and clear blue skies for a change!

42 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Except for humongous amounts of rain causing flooding, mud slides, etc.

I guess I was referring to the eye making a direct hit causing major structural damage like what happened to Puerto Rico.

9 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

At least the rain on the Big Island isn't making Kilauea explode.  Kelly, we're getting enough smoke from the wildfires out West to make for some pretty sunsets.  Rain is supposed to return this weekend, but it sure was nice to come home in sunshine and clear blue skies for a change!

We are all starting to get the affects of the fires. 

This is a mapping of today’s smoke layer in the upper atmosphere. Granted it’s not this thick but it does make a statement of the how far the particles have traveled and the amount of carbon put into the environment.

AF2B01E6-DB51-4CF4-94DE-0B14FF6ADD4C.png

When the hubs was stationed in HI we lived on the windward side of Oahu and got to the Big Island once for a week's vacation, but I always wished we could have visited Kauai, the local folks kept telling us it was the prettiest of the islands (least spoiled).

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

When the hubs was stationed in HI we lived on the windward side of Oahu and got to the Big Island once for a week's vacation, but I always wished we could have visited Kauai, the local folks kept telling us it was the prettiest of the islands (least spoiled).

Its true shame you didn't go.  When revisited Kaui in May it was absolutely breathtaking. Lush, green and in such a natural state...the road only goes on the outer part of the island leaving everything else in a much more natural state. Small, friendly and very very relaxed...not a lot to do and that is perfectly wonderful!

33 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

...not a lot to do and that is perfectly wonderful!

Even back then we were hikers.  Back then living in HI took every penny we had saved up during the first three years of our marriage after graduating from the university and his being drafted into the USMC (next-to-last draft the Marines had to do, during the Viet Nam build up), so traveling to the outer islands was out of the question, except for vacationing at the military recreation camp on the edge of Kilauea; we could walk across the road and peer down into the caldera, and one day we hiked down into it.

5 hours ago, Sable said:

Amazing that the worst of the rain bands is over the Kilauea volcano.

Sounds like a recipe for steam cleaning the southeast part of the island.

6 hours ago, Sable said:

Amazing that the worst of the rain bands is over the Kilauea volcano.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Sounds like a recipe for steam cleaning the southeast part of the island.

Sound like a recipe for "the big BOOM!"

On 8/24/2018, 4:48:05, havanaholly said:

Kauai is very very green and beautiful . Though I was surprised at seeing the dry side .