So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

We  had a cold night last week, with a bit of frost on the grass. It was enough to get the leaves turning. Mainly we've had lashings of rain and damp, chilly weather. But by the weekend it will be 70 F and sunny. 

8 minutes ago, SewMini said:

I swear it was spitting snow last night. The Danish weather has finally turned...Danish :D It's been cold, rainy and windy the past few days. Time to start busting out all the candles and getting hygge!

Yep, windy as he-double hockey sticks suring the week and Now is has turned into a Wintery scene outside. large.IMG_2020.JPG.a4eaad48e00c30e1c8993

• Like 1

The snow didn’t bother me in Rochester, NY it was the below zero temperatures in January that cured me of winter in the Great Lakes. Back in Florida, we are finally going to go below 82 this weekend as a “cold” front is passing through.

• Like 1

I didn't mind winter when I was younger, still don't, mainly. When I lived in the Chicago area I kept my snowmobile at a cousin's place in northern Wisconsin for weekend adventures. Not enough snow nor a place to run it closer to home. Now that I'm ... ummm ... older more seasoned, I'm okay with snow as long as I don't have to shovel it or drive in it. I trust my own ability to drive in snow and ice, but I prefer not to put myself out there as a target; it's the other guy, the one you see pouring boiling water on his windshield to melt the accumulation of ice and snow, that scares the devil out of me.

My kids have never seen snow that they can remember - Jack (16) is heading to the Swiss Alps this year for Christmas so he'll be having a white Christmas!  Meanwhile we'll be BBQing and swimming!  It's finally warming up enough to wear t.shirts and I even wore shorts the other day!  We're on water tank here - rely on rain water.  We had a night of rainfall last night which has bought our water tank level up - helpful to start out with a full tank before the dry summer starts!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shareb said:

We had a night of rainfall last night which has bought our water tank level up - helpful to start out with a full tank before the dry summer starts!

What happens during a dry spell? Do you have water trucked in?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KathieB said:

What happens during a dry spell? Do you have water trucked in?

Yep - we end up with town water pumped into the tank from a truck.  We try to avoid it though because it has flouride and chlorine in it which we're just not used to.  Our water is fresh and clean and water tasting! :D We've been here 22 years so we're used to water conservation in summer but recently there have been a huge number of new houses built and the townies (as we call them) are moving out into them.  They have no idea and last year the water trucks were running 2 weeks behind because of the excessive demand.  It just means you have to be sensible and know to order well ahead of time!  I have no idea what they were doing but there were households running out after two weeks!  I think they may have been watering their lawns.....not so sensible when on tank water.  If you look up Beachlands Pohutukawa Coast in pics you'll see our little area.  We're a suburb of Auckland - the biggest city in NZ (but not the capital) but we're seperated from 'town' (suburbia) by a large tract of farmland.  Basically we have to drive 20 mins to get to the nearest shopping mall.  Last year we had a supermarket and shopping centre (mostly food related businesses) open up here.

10 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Oh, Rebecca, that looks to be a lovely place to live. 

We think so!  It's hard now that the main (and only) road out here is so much busier - and busier with cars whose drivers aren't perhaps as confident driving at open road speeds.  The road quality has reduced greatly and when we have a crash the whole road gets closed.  So saying, we live in 'old Beachlands' in the original community.  We have 1/4 acre 5mins walk from the beach.  We have a lovely home and most people out here are very nice.  So all in all - yes, we do live in a lovely place. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We've had gloomy rain everyday for at least 2 weeks now. I can't remember when it started, but I went recreational shopping last Monday because it was supposed to be a nice day with sunshine (I was sick of rain and wanted to stay out of it). We did get a few peaks of slightly brighter light that day before it darkened up again and rained. A couple days ago the house got really bright for about 30 minutes because the sun came out, but then the dark gray clouds rolled back over us and once again, it rained. Yesterday's forecast called for no rain, but it rained anyway.Today has been the darkest, gloomiest day yet. They say we're supposed to have a sunny day tomorrow but I have my doubts - they predicted sunshine several days during the last few weeks and been wrong every time.:badmood::boat::shipwrecked:

Thankfully, the Red Tide is gone on the east coast of Florida so our beaches are all open once again. I was up in Vero over the weekend and all of the dead fish have been cleaned up and it’s business as usual. Let’s hope that the Saharan Desert keeps all of its dust to itself next year. 

Friday we went to the Blue Angels' homecoming air show and nearly froze!  I don't think the temperature got above 60F all day.  Since then we have a warm, wet front move in and it's back to 80F with lots of damp.

Here in the northeast we are experiencing two days of real fall weather! :clap: The sun is out- the sky is blue- the temps are just perfect! However, it is just a brief reprieve before the dreaded rain is back by the end of the week. :badmood:This summer has been the wettest on record.  We seem to have a leaky chimney and during the multiple-day rain episodes water drips down drenching the hearth and creating little pools on the tops of my candles.  The fireplace is one of those huge Colonial walk-in types and so it is not very efficient.  The previous owners did use the gas insert, but we never did - I just put a collection of candles inside.  So anyway, we had 2 days of crazy rain over the weekend and this fireplace has been dripping ever since.  I've got towels on the floor to keep the puddle from oozing onto my wood floor and rug. It's really annoying. We need to call the chimney guy.

On the positive side, our trees have finally burst into color and the countryside is just lovely.  The drive to Philly for the Miniaturia last weekend was just beautiful!  I enjoyed my drive as much as the mini show! :p

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Frost on the Gulf Coast, too; woke up with the heat running.

I turn off the heat at night. Inside temp was 63F this morning. Coldest so far this fall.