SDK Miniatures modern kitchen, bashed (half scale)

fov

Some questions came up years ago about whether SDK Miniatures' modern kitchen kit could be bashed. At the time I was a pessimist because Susan from SDK told me she thought it would be tricky. But then I saw Sharon-UK's awesome job with it in her Lydia Pickett Fairfield and it gave me the confidence to try it. There aren't a ton of kitchen options available in half scale so I thought people would be interested in what you can do with this kit.

The kit has an L-shaped piece and a separate unit for the fridge, oven/microwave, and pantry. (The island is not part of the SDK kit, it was a NAME day project a few years ago.)

rowhouse592.jpg

The main change I made was to remove the fridge portion and attach the tall unit to the upper cabinets. I also printed out my own oven and microwave from pictures I found on Google.

rowhouse594.jpg

I'm using an Acme fridge magnet with a Petite Properties kit for the upper cabinet. I lifted this idea directly from the Lydia Pickett blog. :) (Better picture of the fridge here.) The sink isn't glued in yet, that and the faucet are the last things I have to do.

rowhouse587.jpg

The kit came with a printie for the stovetop, but I didn't like it so I made my own with a piece of aluminum sheeting, lock washers, and seed beads. The stove hood is a fondant cutter from the cake decorating aisle at Michaels. More details on my blog.

rowhouse588.jpg

If you'd like to see more of the step-by-step stuff, my kitchen posts are archived here.

Has anyone else built this kit? I'd love to see other pictures of what people have done with it!

• Like 3

Whoa... It's hard to believe that's a miniature kitchen. It truly looks full size. And seriously...Fondant cutters, aluminum tape and lock washers??? Simply brilliant! There are some people out there who just have that talent of looking at something and seeing it for something else. My wife will be amazed when I show her these pics.

Matt

• Like 2

Matt, copper pipe fittings make wonderful mini stock pots, and lock washers are da bomb for stove burners. I even located itty metric nuts, bolts and washers to make a working futon in 1:12. 80-120 grit sandpaper makes wonderful shingles, too.

Emily, was the curved shelving at the end of the sink's counter part of the kit, or did you add that on?

Thanks Matt! You'll start "seeing" that way too, I guarantee it. :)

Holly, yep the rounded shelves are part of it, but the kit came with little guards for the edges that I'm not using (same as on the bottom shelves over the stove). One of the pieces was missing -- or maybe I lost it while assembling -- and with the fridge right up next to the counter I don't think I need them there, anyway. Wouldn't want my little people to have trouble pulling their pots out when they're elbow-deep in a recipe...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Albert22

Good kitchen range but do any of here know any Kitchen Scales and kits company that offer best products at affordable price.That offering its products in California and other regions near Chino? I want to buy some kitchen related products for our home.

Good kitchen range but do any of here know any Kitchen Scales and kits company that offer best products at affordable price.That offering its products in California and other regions near Chino? I want to buy some kitchen related products for our home.

Albert, not quite sure what you're asking. You do realize we are dealing with dollhouse miniatures here, don't you?

• 2 months later...

Albert, your posts sound like you are looking for a kitchen scale, etc, for your full-size house's kitchen; this forum is for the builders and collectors of dollhouses and miniatures, not full-size stuff. You can do a Google search on your computer for full-size items.

• 3 years later...
15 minutes ago, wiliamjohn said:

i was looking for the good quality and latest good design kitchen faucets if any of you here have experience with buying a good product let me know that Which is the best kitchen faucet?

I would look at the site of ELF Miniatures, Ask Elisabeth if She what She can share with you http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=41469

4 hours ago, wiliamjohn said:

i was looking for the good quality and latest good design kitchen faucets if any of you here have experience with buying a good product let me know that Which is the best kitchen faucet?

I made my modern kitchen faucet from an old radio antenna which was bent by using a tube bender, pen spring and two eyelets/grommets. Mine is 1/12 scale. I’ve made the base shorter since this photo was taken:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=120590