I seem to be destined NOT to have a Xmas tree in the living room this year

me-barbie

On thursday night, I decided to get my tree out. And lo and behold, the top would not light up. I found frayed wires so no way can use that tree again. I wanted to get the boring fluffing out of the way before my goddaughter came over Friday to help me decorate.

So that meant, on Moonlight Madness Night one, off I had to go to buy a new one. Brought it home. And the top third would not light. So I took it back Friday, Black Friday, Moonlight Madness Night two (gods help me) and got another one. Brought it home...and it had NO lights.

So off I went today. Again. And the only trees left in town START at 188$. Then add 17% taxes and I am NOT paying 200$ for something that will be up for a month!

I seem to be destined for the first time since I was about 21, NOT to have a tree of mine own.

:bomb:

Gee, that sounds like something that would happen to me. :frusty:

My big tree had a section that failed to light after a few years. I just strung some new lights on the darkened section. I never could find out what was wrong, checked the bulbs, checked the fuses and wires, all looked ok - just dark.

We just added lights to the worn out section too. My DIL had none left on hers and just redid the whole thing with regular ones because she loved the tree. It's a huge 10 foot one. She had cathedral ceilings. So just dash back out and get some cheap-o light strings.

• Like 1

No replacing with a string of cheap-o lights, as frayed wires would equal frayed nerves from worries about fire risk. I have a friwnd who works at the mart of wal, she will call me when they get the next shipment of cheap trees in.

• Like 1

No replacing with a string of cheap-o lights, as frayed wires would equal frayed nerves from worries about fire risk. I have a friwnd who works at the mart of wal, she will call me when they get the next shipment of cheap trees in.

If I may interpret--don't plug in the the cord for the pre-done lights--just put new strings of lights on the tree and use those.

If you have a Michaels near you they have a lot of pretty nice trees that are not too expensive especially if you use a coupon. I just had a similar issue with my tree yesterday. Thankfully, it was just a plug that I missed. I miss the real tree we used to get, but the smell and the mess just became too much for me. (Not the fresh cut tree smell, the old tree water smell) I found some things called Scenticles in Michaels. They came in 3 different scents peppermint, cinnamon and Christmas tree. Just hang one in the branches and presto...yummy smell with NO mess.

About lights for any kind of tree...use the net lights sold for outdoor bushes instead of strings. Just wrap them around with the "seam" towards the wall. You can do an 8 foot tree with 2 sets in about 3 minutes!

P.S. The dreaded fluffing is this afternoon project...takes forever but is a must with a fake tree. I also use some poinsettia pick "bushes" for the holes that I always seem to end up with. I just stuff them in with the stem end close to the tree trunk.

I can't have a tree anymore because one of my kitties tries to eat the vinyl needles and then throw up. They can kill a cat or dog if they get lodged in the intestine and surgery to remove them is dangerous and expensive too. I haven't tried a real tree because I've heard they can harm pets too. I tried all the ideas to keep her away but nothing worked. I miss having a tree but would miss my pets more.

• Like 1

Pat,years ago I had indoor cats and had to forgo ever having a tree (Mine were artificial) because they wouldn't stop climbing in it and breaking ornaments and sometimes knocking the tree down! You are right,nothing kept them out of it for me either. I read every hint or cure ever written. I wasn't going to win and wasn't giving up my cats. I finally just started using a very small artificial tabletop tree that was less fragile if they messed with it-it survived the season much better. Where I live now I'm not allowed indoor pets, but I'm used to no big tree. I'm not decorating this year,but I do like your fresh wreath idea,Debora!

• Like 1

I remember one year I decided I would put up a tree just for me. The kids always decorated the tree and it was what it was........a kid friendly family mish mash tree with all their ornaments which is how it should be. However, I wanted to make a tree that I designed and decorated. So, I put up one in my music room and just after I finished my master piece I walked out of the room for a minute and when I came back, my 6 month old kitten had climbed it to the top, knocked everything off and that was that for the special Christmas tree!! lol

We put up a New Mexico style tree.......they are very scraggly and no lights because they are so dry. I bought some battery lights this year so there is no danger of setting the tree and the house on fire! :xmas:

• Like 2

The last few days have been very aggravating and stressful, and earlier today was no better, so I decided to just relax and decorate the cheap little tree I bought this year.

It doesn't have very many lights on it, so I decided to add another strand. My son brought up the box of Christmas decorations and there was a strand of lights right on top. I plugged them in to be sure they worked - they didn't. They worked when I took them off the tree last January, but now they don't.

So, I went down to the basement to find another spare string of lights. Found lots of outdoor net lights and one string. It doesn't work either. :sad_2:

Your trees are all bought up already Barbara? We don't have a lot of selection but they are cheap and they last a long time. I put ours out in the courtyard after Christmas last year and used it for the birds. We have absolutely no trees out here in the desert so they loved sitting in it!

• Like 2