10/3/06 What's Your All Time Favorite Scary Movie?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hands down, without a doubt, no question about it - my all time favorite scary movie is The Haunting 1963 version in B&W

-David

Edit - I forgot to say why it's my favorite.

1. It's a classy film - no gore no cheap props or monster suits -

2. It used some technical aspects (the lenses for the hall scenes) that had never been used before

3. It scared the heck out of me when I was about 5!

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken with Don Knots!!!! :blink:

Hey it is funny when you are an Adult but when you are little it will give you nightmares watching that organ in the attic with the bloodstains on it playing by itself.

The Original "House on Haunted Hill" with Vincent Price (1959)

I just love this movie. I remember watching this with my friend when I was a small girl. It scared the heck out of us. Some people are invited to spend the night in this haunted house and if they make it through the night they win a large amount of money. I think it was 10,000 dollars which was a large sum of money in those days. Very scary.

The Shining. Stanley Kubrecht at his best, IMHO. No matter WHAT Stephen King says, Jack Nicholson WAS Mr. Torrence... Okay, it WAS King's book, King's character. But I still think Jack was awesome in that movie...

hmmmm since I dont care for scary movies I have to say I did like the new version of The Haunting

with Liam Neison and Catherine Zita Jones.

Oh and I loved the effects in 13 ghost.

I like the old monster movies and all of the Vampire movies. but Freddy and Jason are not my cup of tea.

when I was a teen...Terror train scared the crap out of me.

nutti :pinch:

Oh man I seen terror train when I was a teen too. Do you know I saw that movie again like last year. It wasn't so scary now that I am an old lady. Just perverted and gross. LOL funny how your perspective changes as you get older.

Oh great . . . I'm thinking about this just before getting ready to go to bed . . . hmmmmm . . . okay, my mind has shut down! B) I'll have to think about it tomorrow! :blink: Thinking good thoughts . . . don't need no stinking nightmares!! B)

Hellraiser, because it was my first scary movie, when I was 12 watching it with my Daddy. Oh and the Fog (the original) that movie still creeps me out, when I was a kid I hated foggy nights just cause of that movie, grrr.....many sleepless nights.

I think it must be "Psycho" as that truly scared the beejeebers out of me, I was home from school with a cold and just popped the first tape into the VCR which happened to be just Pshyco and I tell ya' it scared me real baaaad!

Hugs

Suzq! OMG I almost forgot about that movie. It scared me sooo bad when I was little! Don Knotts is a hoot.

Favorite scary movie is The Exorcist. When I was young I could only watch it in bits and pieces..major fingerprints on my face. :holloween:

My favorite scary movie of all times has got to be the 1979 version of When a Stranger Calls starring Carol Kane...I didn't intentionally go to see it, I went to the show with a friend to see Saturday Night Fever and it just happened to be a double feature...I hadn't heard anything about this movie...but it had me jumping out of my seat...there was no blood, no gore, but, it was so verrrry suspenseful...the reason it was so scary for me is that the story could be true...it could really happen..I recently saw the 2006 remake and it was pretty scary too and I was pleasantly surprised that the new version wasn't exactly like the old one...the storyline was very different yet it was still pretty scary!! These are both definitely movies you don't want to watch alone in the dark...and God forbid that the phone rings while you are watching either one.....

"Psycho" and "The Exorcist" grabbed me pretty hard, but my all-time scariest movie is "The Thing" ... I saw it sometime in the early 1950s ... and half a century later, I can still feel the goosebumps crawling all over my arms!

:holloween:

My favorite scary movie of all times has got to be the 1979 version of When a Stranger Calls starring Carol Kane...

Okay, well, I had a rather uneventful night, dream wise! :cucumber:

Irene, WOW, I had forgotten about that movie . . . YES that was the most scariest movie I've ever seen because it could actually happen. I used to babysit alot during that time and it really FREAKED me out!! :holloween: Especially near the end when he's hiding in her closet years later and her husband is dead or knocked out in the bed. Freaky, man, freaky!!

Can I ask if anyone had ever seen The Tingler. I was about 10 when I went to the movies with my brother and some friends and I remember being so frightened we all ran out of the theatre. I've tried numerous times to find the movie either on satellite or to rent to no avail. I really would like to remember what it was that scared us so much that we felt we had to run. It would be interesting to see now what my reaction would be.

One of the best ones in recent years is Shaun of the Dead, although it is less horror movie and more romantic comedy with zombies.

Jeri

I just bought a Shawn of the Dead movie figure, complete with flowers for mum. *smiles*

I saw When A Stranger Calls back when I was a teen also. It was really scary for me because I was the nieghborhood sitter. What was fun was taking RayAnne this year to see the 2006 remake and watch her reaction. LOL

I've seen the Tingler, my dad has it on DVD. It's great. In the theaters they some had electrified seats that sent a slight shock to the occupent of those special seats, I bet they screamed bloody murder.

What an evil idea :devil: but I like it somehow LOL. I do hope however that the ones in the seats enjoyed themselves after the initial shock, I know my hubby would love such a happening.... And yes horror movies are fairly common in this household...

Hugs