Bashing the staircase in the Brimbles Mercantile

Gleise

Hi, everyone

Anyone ever bashed the staircase in the Brimbles Mercantile? Like make more open or something?

Can the steps be made seen by a railing or maybe 'floating' steps?

From pictures I seen the staircase is not supporting anything but itself, right?

Can anyone should me light!!!???

THANK YOUUUUU!

I often leave the stairs out completely. I pretend that you just can't see them. lol There are two schools of thought on this one. We have debated it before. Some people need to have the stairs showing for realism and like myself, if I want more space I just leave them out because it doesn't bother me to imagine they are unseen. I do the same with bathrooms. The little people who shop in the store will know that the stairs are in the back around the corner.

That wasn't much help probably.

• Like 2

I have one in a box but haven't opened it yet. In the photos it looks like it could be left out with no problem but if it did provide support for the second floor, you could always just add a post of some sort like might be found in an old country store anyway.

• Like 1

Or you could just make a floor to ceiling shelf/display, if the stairs are a support and you prefer to delete them.

I don't want to delete them, I love staircases. For me, they give character and reality to a dollhouse.

I want to open it up 'cause I always thought that railing too chunky. I think I'm going to cut part of that off or maybe the floating idea... I have not decided yet what shoppe it's going to be.

But your idea of shelf has merit and if it need support for the second floor I make some shelves.

Thank youuuu!

• Like 1

You are very welcome, Gleise. I just had an idea and I don't even know if it would work, but how about using just one stringer and centering the stair tread on that stringer with no risers. Hhhmmmm..... that is an idea I may try to use somewhere in one of my houses. Oohh.... I want to play with that idea, but have to get these gift houses done first.

I also like the stairs in a house. I agree about the reality issue. I cut a pair down in one house because they came too close to the invisible back wall and I was worried how the 'people' would get onto the stairs to go up. Just as I do not like in the Cozy Cottage how the upper stair case/railing extends beyond what would be the roof. It takes away from the reality of it all. In fact, I decided not to purchase a house once because there wasn't a place for the stairs and there were no stairs included in the kit. I can understand what others say about using the imagination of the stairs being in the unseen areas, but for me, I like the stairs.

In the Brookfield I am doing, there was no railing or upper railing either. I used a bamboo skewer as a railing glued that to the wall using beads to hold it out from the wall and made an upper railing out of scrap pieces and Popsicle sticks to go around the hole so the 'people' wouldn't fall down.

Hope you have a great day. Looking forward to hearing what you do with the house and stairs.

• Like 1

.... I just had an idea and I don't even know if it would work, but how about using just one stringer and centering the stair tread on that stringer with no risers. Hhhmmmm..... that is an idea I may try to use somewhere in one of my houses. ....

:jawdrop: ooohh. I like that!...Thank you very very much. I shall try! I can imagine it will be very posh! We like THAT!

Take a look at the open staircase in Deb's Magnolia the Sleek Geek-Chic. This is one of my favorites. Her addition of the skylight was my inspiration for adding the rooftop skylight to my White Rose. The staircase sounds like what you might be envisioning.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=59&showentry=1226

• Like 2

So, Gleise, I am not sure what you are picturing but here is my two cents worth. If my current line of thinking remains unchanged, the half scale Brimbles is next on my list of purchases. Unless the Spring Fling comes first, of course :) I have drooled over the online pictures for hours.

Brimbles is a great style. Depending on how you plan to finish it, you could do the stairs several different ways. I like the idea of shelving underneath. Stairs are a great part of the character of a build. But I don't have to have them in every build. In this I think they should stay, and be open. If you do a dry fit, it might help. You could also use the actual pieces to make a cardboard mock up, like from cereal boxes, and see how you could adjust it. I find things often look too different on paper.

Take a look at the open staircase in Deb's Magnolia the Sleek Geek-Chic. This is one of my favorites. Her addition of the skylight was my inspiration for adding the rooftop skylight to my White Rose. The staircase sounds like what you might be envisioning.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=59&showentry=1226

That looks good, indeed! Thank youu.

...Brimbles is a great style. Depending on how you plan to finish it, you could do the stairs several different ways. I like the idea of shelving underneath. Stairs are a great part of the character of a build. But I don't have to have them in every build. In this I think they should stay, and be open. If you do a dry fit, it might help. You could also use the actual pieces to make a cardboard mock up, like from cereal boxes, and see how you could adjust it. I find things often look too different on paper.

I'm going to do a dry fitting tonight, although I shouldn't since I did not finished the Chantilly yet..

And I'm working out some prototypes of staircases... Thankx Morgan!

• Like 1

If you are going for an uber chic/modern store you might try glass stairs or glass railings.

Here is a link to some examples .

There are some pretty glass spiral ones on this site too. I pasted in one floating glass stairs that I thought I was cool.

post-2708-0-88138900-1386347235_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Hmm .. :hmm: ... hope nobody has to move a piano up those glass stairs. Not sure I'd even want to step on them! I know they must be well engineered and have passed safety requirements, but still ...

That site has all kinds of staircases from old timber style to stainless steel and glass.

It's a great site to just to brainstorm ideas for the huge variety of stairs out there.

Just as a note, I lifted this quote from the glass stair section.

"The EeStairs® LongLast solution protects the glass stairs, ensuring they remain non-slip, durable and safe.

Our glass steps also feature a diffused surface, providing privacy from any prying eyes below."

• Like 2

Selkie, :yikes: Wow,I love these!! If nothing else,what a cool design element and could be applied to use as display shelves. Can't wait to see what else you found.

Plus, I really love the stairs in Deb's Magnolia-what a cool idea!! I like the modern,less is more look!

• Like 1