San Franciscan 550 555 557

Blondie

Out of curiosity, I would like to know what the differences are between these kits. If any of you have built more than one kind, which did you prefer and why? Sometime, I'd love to make a San Franciscan, so I'd like to figure out which type of kit I want in case I randomly come across one.

What's the difference?

San Franciscan 550 = ?

San Franciscan 555 = ?

San Franciscan 557 = ?

This site has the instructions for all three. Looking at the photos of the assembled houses, it looks like there was a change to the entrance between the 550 and 555. A comparison of the rest of the instructions would probably shed light on the difference(s), if any.

http://gr123.powweb.com/DollhouseWorkshop/instructions.html

• Like 1

I haven't built a 550, but one difference with it and the 555 was that the 550 had what looks like stripwood pieces radiating out from the oval window in the big gable, that the 555 didn't have. There were curved pieces over the front and balcony doors. Beyond that I don't know. The 555 exterior walls were built up from pieces of tongue & groove plywood with siding milled into it, and the working windows were a bear to make!

Some clues I notice in the instructions:

550: 43 x 22 x 18; walls "unassembled"; lattice foundation; triangle tower roof

555: 43 x 22 x 20; walls "unassembled"; brick foundation; teardrop tower roof

557: 43 x 25 x 20; walls "assembled" (MDF); brick foundation; triangle tower roof

And yes, Holly, I do see a different circle window on each one! Interesting....

Thanks, Mike; I didn't remember that the balcony didn't have the round grillwork like the front door, but it has been 20 years since I built that rascal. If the company were still around I wouldn't mind trying to build a 550.

• Like 1

I have the 557 and its in progress. I love the design of the house I just don't like working with MDF. If I had to do it again I would try to find the

555. I like to add windows and things and I find MDF just awful to work with. It also seems to just suck the paint in. It takes several coats to get the coverage even with sealing the wood with primer first. The MDF also makes it quite heavy!!! I have replaced some of the interior walls with 3/8 ply. Also the roof did not fit correctly no matter what I did. I found at least one other person who had this problem also. I ended up cutting my own front dormer piece and putting in an oval window instead of round, and now everything works. Just my two cents.

You don't need the company, Holly! We can find you one!...

Actually it wasn't to get the kit that I wanted the company to still be around, it was their free parts replacement policy I sorely miss; when I finally build my Newburg it's going to be interesting to see if I can do it without totally ruininig pieces.

If I ever build the San Fran again, I'll look for one of the plywood models. I didn't like the MDF, and tragically the house pretty much fell apart during shipping. All the wall-floor joints were compromised (just waiting for one big jolt to collapse altogether); this is partly due to me not packing it well enough but also partly due to the way the MDF fits together. :(

I was so sad-- this was my Art Deco house and I'd spent two years on it... :weep: I patched it as best I could...

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this hobby, as my wife purchased this for our daughter and would like me to build it for her. I opened the box that looked like it had been opened before, however neatly, and realized that I am missing some of the siding pieces. The model is a San Franciscan SF-550. My question is this, is there any way of getting new parts without having to buy a whole new kit? The part number is 1-4 3" siding. I need two pieces. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I am rehabbing a 557 at the moment, and would have to agree - if I ever build one for myself it will be a plywood model!

And Joshaua- there are plenty of SF builders on here that I am sure someone will have the parts you are looking for! I had a forum member rescue me when I needed missing/damaged parts. :)

I am new to this hobby, as my wife purchased this for our daughter and would like me to build it for her. I opened the box that looked like it had been opened before, however neatly, and realized that I am missing some of the siding pieces. The model is a San Franciscan SF-550. My question is this, is there any way of getting new parts without having to buy a whole new kit? The part number is 1-4 3" siding. I need two pieces. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Check with this eBay seller. He can often make replacement DuraCraft pieces.

http://stores.ebay.com/Manchester-Dollhouse-and-Wood-Works?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

http://www.manchesterwoodworks.com/servlet/StoreFront

• 1 month later...

The part number is 1-4 3" siding.

I may be able to help with siding... PM me

The 550 asnd 555 were stacked molding in connectors for the clapboard walls. This kind of construction is not my favorite as I live in the north with 0% humidity in the winter and 101% in the summer, so the walls swell in the summer and shrink in the winter, but the connectors don't. This kind of construction tends to tear itself apart with a bang (literally). If I do another I won't glue the walls together, I will glue them into the connectors with goop (resiliant) and glue matt board to the inside surface, and I will build it in the summer.

All three styles have the sandwich die-cut and cellophane windows, and the openings are not standard.

The key with painting MDF is to not sand it before the first coat of paint (that just makes it fuzzy), to use semi-gloss interior house paint (like Behr or Benjamin Moore), not craft paint(!), and to sand it down to the wood after the first coat. Here's a video that is good advice (http://www.hd-imagination-house.com/Painting.html). That and use a thick tacky glue with enough glue in every joint so you have to wipe some up. Then it makes a nice product, but it is heavy!

• 5 months later...

The 550 model was the first one Duracraft came out with. You used the channel moldings to slid your siding down in and those doubled on the inside as walls. The house was characterized by single windows only in the bay window (not the tower windows - they had three windows apiece on all floors) and a roof over the balcony. There was very little trim.

555 was a fancier update of 550. The company updated several models at this time, including the Farmhouse and the Newberg and I think one more that I can't remember now. The 555 didn't have a roof over the balcony, but there were now three bay windows in each of the bays on every floor. The window in the center of the third floor was enlarged. This one is my favorite because of all the trim. There was still a problem on the inside with running the moldings around the ceiling and floor because of the channels molding used to construct the walls.

557 was the latest update of this house. I believe Duracraft was trying to move into the higher end dollhouse scene at this time. The channel molding way of constructing the house was changed to 3/8" MDF, so now you had smooth walls all around the inside without protruding channel molding. There was still no roof over the balcony, and there were still 3 windows in each bay. The center window in the third floor was redone like the first model. There was a loss of some trim for the tower and under the witch's cap. The kit was much heavier and I daresay, more expensive. Otherwise, the layouts and measurements were the same from model to model.

That's about all the differences I could think of.

Denise, the SF555 was the first kit I ever built and I built it with a Stanley retractable utility knife, a steel carpenter's square, a hobby saw, a bottle og Elmer's all-purpose white glue and a couple of rolls of masking tape; also quite an arsenal of *magic* words...