Newbie to the hobby from MD

Lycrisa

Hi there,

I've recently decided to seriously start on a project I've been mulling around in my head for a while, and decided to join because I find forums to be invaluable sources of information.

I find enormous joy in tiny things, especially if they are functional. I think I've been obsessed ever since I was a kid. One year, I had to be treated inpatient with the flu. In the peds lobby there was a HUGE dollhouse display with a plexiglass cover. It had a general store in the bottom floor with a tiny gumball machine.

I recently decided to give up a long loved hobby of breeding mice for show. It got to a point that I didn't have any fun, I didn't have any time for my other hobbies and you can't just pick them up and put them down when you're tired. I find crafting to be much more relaxing after finals. ;3

I'm currently in school with the goal of being a research scientist in the genetics field. So it's really important to me to have a way to unwind.

So, I already repair messed up clocks, it's mostly replacing cracked trim and bent movement pieces.

But, I came across one in pretty bad shape, and needed to replace part of the base. It's hollow.

I got the "crazy" idea to put viewing windows and tiny rooms in it.

So that's what I am working on now. I think when it's finished I am going to make mouse dolls.

My son is very into stories with mice, so I think it would be fun for him.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now.

I look forward to participating in this community. It seems very friendly and like-minded.

• Like 2

Welcome to the this site Lyra. One thing I like about the forum is that I get to meet interesting people I wouldn't have come across otherwise, and until I read your post, I didn't know of anyone who bred mice for show. There is just so much out there I wouldn't know about until it was brought to my attention, and I am sure the majoriity of people have no idea how big the miniature community is until they meet someone who has a dollhouse or is into miniatures.

With your background, it is no wonder you are considering making mouse dolls. I have a roombox that was orignally a ice cream pallor that I turned into a mouse house, or rather a mouse cabin, when my friend gave me a Furryville mouse family. As a child I was a big Mickey Mouse fan, and the mouse theme stuck with me. For years I even had a large Christmas tree with all mouse ornaments on it.

I am also interested in the fact that you repair old watches. My parents have a Seth Thomas clock that some day I would like to repair. I would love to see the base of the clock you are finishing off. That sounds like such a great idea and project.

I look forward to learning more about you and your projects. Welcome again and enjoy.

Hi Lyra and welcome to the group ! You'll find lots of ideas and inspiration here , it is a fun and enjoyable hobby . I had a clock that didn't work and gutted it out and made it into a room box. I have an old Grandfather clock my friend's grandpa made and am thinking of turning it into a multi floored "house" , maybe someday once I finish up a bunch of other projects. I look forward to seeing your clock redo and the mouse dolls . Glad you've joined us !

Welcome to the little family, Lyra. My friends and I had pet mice in college (50 years ago!); they lived less than two years and grew basal ganglis tumors and seized before dying. We were infested with wild mice in our old house, so my relationship with small rodents is love-hate. However, when it comes to dollhouses and miniatures, it's all love, and we're so glad to have you join us!

• 2 weeks later...