Spray paint as primer? Recommended, yes or no?

Phoenix71

Happy Saturday, everyone!

As I madly scramble to complete my first dollhouse, the Duracraft Newberg, I wonder if it is okay to use spray paint a a primer for the interior house (masking where needed so as not to effect the exterior). I read so many different thoughts on whether to prime before or after I wasn't sure which to do and see now I would have been easier to do so. I want to wallpaper over the primer, of course. If this would work, what brand is suggested?

For future, if you prime before, do you draw the lines where pieces meet after dry fitting and not painting there so places that require glue can adhere? I've read two different trains of thought, one being glue won't adhere if pieces are primed and one where it does not matter (does it depend on the glue?)

Also, when sanding, is it best to sand until all ridges are gone? There is quite a mix in the quality of wood within the many pieces and some pieces do not seem to improve with sanding. Just observations from a newbie who is curious and looking for guidance : )

Many thanks your expertise!

I've used white spray paint with fine success. The only drawback is that it isn't waterbased and can take longer to dry. That somewhat depends on how heavy handed you are. I do light coats and it seems to dry and cure fairly quickly. Mask off any areas that you are going to stain very carefully if you are using spray because it seems to go willy-nilly where it wants and you can find the overspray in unusual places.

As to the bare wood to wood glue vs. painted surfaces and gluing, I haven't ever had issues with it either way. I know some GL folks absolutely only do bare wood to wood. Personally, I use a combination of wood glue and Alenes quicker drying tacky glues for construction and they seem to adhere nicely. That said, I'm referring to plywood builds here and not MDF. MDF seems to soak up glue differently, imo.

I have used spray paint as a primer without any problems. I used Rustoleum interior/exterior quick drying spray paint. It's dry to the touch within a few minutes. I've had no problems gluing to it either, however I mask off the wood edge that will be glued if I am spray painting while the pieces are still flat (which is easiest). I also spray both sides. My big Tennyson was done this way for the first two floors, with a whole lot of siding and trim glued on afterwards and it is solid.

Spray painting or hand painting to prime the walls before wall papering is a good idea if you are using lightweight papers and light colors. Again, I've done it both ways. In most of my houses I've primed the walls before papering, but since I use white glue to apply the paper and I first do a light coat "painting" the wall with the glue to get complete coverage, sometimes I don't prime with paint. I also print most of my own papers using spray fixatives and heavier card stock so I don't worry about it.

For the ridges in the wood, you might want to just use some spackle and then sand the surface smooth.

Happy Saturday, everyone!

As I madly scramble to complete my first dollhouse, the Duracraft Newberg, I wonder if it is okay to use spray paint a a primer for the interior house (masking where needed so as not to effect the exterior). I read so many different thoughts on whether to prime before or after I wasn't sure which to do and see now I would have been easier to do so. I want to wallpaper over the primer, of course. If this would work, what brand is suggested?

For future, if you prime before, do you draw the lines where pieces meet after dry fitting and not painting there so places that require glue can adhere? I've read two different trains of thought, one being glue won't adhere if pieces are primed and one where it does not matter (does it depend on the glue?)

Also, when sanding, is it best to sand until all ridges are gone? There is quite a mix in the quality of wood within the many pieces and some pieces do not seem to improve with sanding. Just observations from a newbie who is curious and looking for guidance : )

Many thanks your expertise!

As has been mentioned, spray paint has a tendency to go everywhere, especially where you don't want it! (Ask how I know this) I would handpaint the primer if the house is already together, but that's just me. I do mask off areas I will stain, and also areas I want to glue. I cut a lot of masking/ painter's tape into 1/4" strips for this purpose. When I sand wood before priming it I do what Debora suggests. I spread spackling compound over the wall, then scrape it away until the surface is flat and even. When the spackle is thoroughly dry, a day or two later, I go back with my sanding block and sand it smooooth. I handpaint in light coats, so brushstrokes aren't an issue.

This brought up a very interesting question, sort of related to yours. What is the purpose of primer, if you are going to use wallpaper on the interior of the house? I'm mildly confused on this issue, could someone explain?

~morningstar~

Daddy looked out the window on the morning I was born, while there were still stars in the sky and said "You, my daughter shall be named 'Morningstar'."

The tannins from the wood can bleed thru the paper and stain the paper - thus ruining all your hard work. Oft times it doesn't happen for a while so you might think it will be okay and then during a humid spell of weather you have a problem. One other thing you should consider is that you need to prime both sides though so you don't encourage a warping issue.

• Like 1

Even if you don't prime/ stain one side of the wood, a coat of clear sanding sealer on the unfinished side takes care of the warping issue; 1/8" plywood is apt to warp under certain conditions. I also prime when I'm going to apply exterior wall treatments.

• Like 1

Thank you Selkie and havanaholly for explaining. Daddy and I were talking about it tonight and although he works with miniatures of a different kind (model cars and the like) he couldn't explain why it would be necessary for me to put a coat of primer on the walls prior to my putting the wallpaper on. :) I do have to put wiring on before I put the wallpaper on too. Whee!!

~morningstar~

Daddy looked out the window on the morning I was born, while there were still stars in the sky and said "You, my daughter shall be named 'Morningstar'."

Selkie, Dalesq, HavanaHolly, Morningstar,

Thank you so much for your detailed answers...I can see the difference after priming yesterday - it definitely pays to do it right the first time and as I've seen many say her in his topic and others, it is a learning experience.

I will definitely do the spackling compound and sanding on my next house, The Willow.

Working on wallpapering today - hoping to finish before Wednesday for my niece. It just took longer than I originally thought, but I have enjoyed it, challenges and all!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...