phew, almost a yr.....need pinned door help

cindy19335

Hi guys, I have been working on my Laurel for almost a year now.......boy oh boy....you guys are amazing in your accomplishments!! I haven't given up but I do need some help with my doors.

I have decided to do the pinned doors as this house will be played with. I really don't understand houw to do them. I searched the archives but haven't found enough detail.

I know you use a pin in the top and the bottom but how the heck do you get the door in with pins sticking out the top and bottom. For the life of me I can't figure it out. .... If I put the pins in top and bottom of frame, I still couldn't get door on the pins.

Can anyone give me detailed directions....pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hi Cindy --

Y'know, someone, either Havanaholly or Nuttiwebgal (I think) gave detailed instructions on how to do a hinged door without the pins. Can't find the thread (or whose blog it's in), but I'm sure someone else will pop in and point it out. :holloween: HELP!!!

She used a cloth hinge, which might be better for a house that's to be played with than the pinned doors...ya don't wanna know how easy it is for those pins to pop out or break. Basically involves gluing a strip of cloth to the door hinge side -- the strip should be wide enough to connect to the door frame. Allow the cloth to dry, then glue the other side of the strip to the frame. And I might have that backwards.

I'd hold off for the complete instructions on this 'cause it's a super easy alternative to the pins.

You can only do the pin method if you has not glued the floor or wall together. You would pu one pin in the floor and one in the top of the door. Slide the door over the pin in the floor and them slide the wall over the pin in the door.

If you are doing to cloth hinges put the cloth ( I have also used ribbon) in between the door and trim that lays over the door. when dry lay the other side on the exterior wall ans under the exterior door trim. I open the door to make sure the ribbon has enough slack to open and close. If you use a stretchy fabric you may not have to do that. I wait to cut off any extra until I know I have it the way I want it.

You can also use hinges. ( I have done that too) It takes patience and you will need to glue the nails in or they will work there way out.

Holly ( havanaholly) has writen directions and pics in some of her blogs.

Hi, holly uses chamois, which is leather, not cloth, as a rule (because I read somewhere it'd last longer?). However I used 1" wide twill tape to hinge the door in my Orchid and that how-to is in havanaholly's Team Orchid blog, in the 6th session.

Thanks so much, can't wait to try again....

Sorry for delay in writing but we caught this horrible stomach virus and it has made its way though all of us, one by one...I actually thought we have food poisoning but doc says no...

Will write more when I'm a little better...

• 3 weeks later...

Chamois is sueded goatskin (a chamois is a mountain goat) and you can buy big pieces of it in auto supply stores (I love Pep Boys!) fairly cheaply, it's also used to detail cars. It's great for upholstering and can be stained with shoe polish.

Well, I'll be darned -- a mountain goat, huh? Not sure what I thought chamois was :lol: but I never connected it with goats! As to Pepboys -- DH was a service manager for them and my older son is a service manager now so please keep shopping there :lol: