Needle felting

Stacey6163

I've been admiring needle felted animals on the internet , so I had John check out of Michael's yesterday with a kit and 50% off coupon . :D I guess it takes some getting used to as well as a lot of time , and found out firsthand why they have you use a mat while jabbing the wool. Kind of missed and needled the inside of my hand , OUCH ! Then after a couple of jabs to the fingers I decided I'd had enough for one day , and went back to making felt mice , less chance of injury. :bear: I think I'll read up on it before trying again.

• Like 1

I'd love to try needle felting..... I'll have to look around for some tutorials and supply lists. The animals are all so beautiful, I'm sure it takes a lot of practice.

I'd love to see wha yu make, but please be careful. !

• 10 months later...

I have felted a mini mouse last year, 1.5 cm. tall, it was a first try but am certainly going to try some more (I need the practice!).

Have collected a lot of how to's on my pinterest and hope one day I will be able to make a lifelike mini animal too.

• 2 months later...

I LOVE needle felting--I haven't done any miniature animals with it, but it's probably my 'primary craft' since it's the main technique I use on my art dolls. I can't recommend leather thimbles enough. They don't feel as stiff and clumsy as metal, but they protect your fingertips like nothing else can! It's especially important when you're working on something extra tiny, since there are some parts you have no choice but to aim the needle towards your hand on. Take it slow and be careful, and I'm sure you'll find needle felting to be a lot of fun!

• 1 year later...

I just picked up needle felting and really do love it. I've only made three sculptures. My mom is actually making a knitted sweater for my Santa figure. And I a

so wear the protective leather finger gloves and a foam pad to work on. I haven't needled myself yet (thank god).

i purchase my wool from aliexpress.com. They have the best selections of colors. The curly felt for hair I purchase from living felt.

i started this so I could make myself a needle felted Nativity Set for next year.

heres two of my projects. I think it is so neat how you can mold it and I find it meditative. I enjoy it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

yay for felting in oregon!  Yay for felting in general!!

I've made three needle felted projects so far and have been pretty happy with the results.  I'll post pictures of them - the monkey is the first one I did (12th scale plush toy), the gerbil the second (life size) and the hamster the third (also life size... scared the bejezus out of poor Mr. Matthias H. Hamilton when he was presented with his felt portrait!)  My fingers looked like swiss cheese after the monkey but I only stuck myself once with the gerbil and not at all with the hamster.  Which is weird since I tend to injure myself every day handling not sharp things.  Go figure.  The other weird thing is that I've always been dismal at sculpting things with clay but for some reason stabbing things repeatedly seems to agree with me lol

that bull dog came out great btw!!

IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1525.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

• Like 3