Art Deco dollhouse plan

mesp2k

For those who want another view of this house, I found it in a book called The Girl Mechanic. I posted it in this thread. It has other dh and woodworking plans and ideas too.

These are the plans I downloaded! The ones that came up last July in response to search instructions 'art deco doll's house plans'. The fact that they are included in a 'girl mechanic' section suggests to me that some wee lassie (!) ought to be able to build these houses without too much trouble. If a girl of similar age to the one in the illustration really could tackle such challenging projects , I'd be amazed. I'd also praise her to the skies LOL.

• Like 2

Mike, I thank you most sincerely for taking the trouble to produce these detailed plans. You are, as we say in Glasgow, a darlin'! I am truly grateful because in their original form these 'instructions' were, to me, inaccessible. The young 'girl mechanics' at whom this house and others were aimed were surely prodigies.

I might add that you, Mike, are certainly a prodigy. You're very talented. I now have to work out how to convert them to 1/12th scale in Paint...

I did tell you all that I'd never done this kind of thing before LOL. I have a HP esp 3.2s all-in-one inkjet printer. Will a regular printer be able to produce whatever these plans measure in 1/12th scale? Ink I have, a-plenty! Paper I have, at present, A4 size only. I will buy bigger paper asap if I can work-out how to enlarge the plans.

Should the worst come to the worst I'll copy the component parts on bigger graph paper Ha Ha.

Once I have a workable set of plans I shall build this house. Yea, verily. I have 5 x A3 sheets of foamboard that might just come in handy.

• Like 3

I do hope many folks decide to build this beautiful home that Mike has so artfully crafted the plans for. Thank you so much for all the hard work and so much time you have so graciously invested in this project. I appreciate it very much.

Selkie, does your name refer to the Selkies (Silkies) of Skule Skerrie? The half-human, half-seal people who, according to legend, live in the waters that surround Scotland's northern-most Isles? If so, you may know the folk song that tells of the Silkies. When I was at university I chose this legend to story-board, provide props for, and 'perform' to my classmates.

• Like 1

Selkie, does your name refer to the Selkies (Silkies) of Skule Skerrie? The half-human, half-seal people who, according to legend, live in the waters that surround Scotland's northern-most Isles? If so, you may know the folk song that tells of the Silkies. When I was at university I chose this legend to story-board, provide props for, and 'perform' to my classmates.

Yes, I used those stories as the basis for my name. I found the story years ago when I met the author, Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés, who wrote "Women Who Run With the Wolves" plus many other books and stories. She used one of the many versions of the story and it touched me deeply. I've been interested in all the different versions ever since.

• Like 2

Mike, I thank you most sincerely for taking the trouble to produce these detailed plans. You are, as we say in Glasgow, a darlin'! I am truly grateful because in their original form these 'instructions' were, to me, inaccessible. The young 'girl mechanics' at whom this house and others were aimed were surely prodigies.

I might add that you, Mike, are certainly a prodigy. You're very talented. I now have to work out how to convert them to 1/12th scale in Paint...

I did tell you all that I'd never done this kind of thing before LOL. I have a HP esp 3.2s all-in-one inkjet printer. Will a regular printer be able to produce whatever these plans measure in 1/12th scale? Ink I have, a-plenty! Paper I have, at present, A4 size only. I will buy bigger paper asap if I can work-out how to enlarge the plans.

Should the worst come to the worst I'll copy the component parts on bigger graph paper Ha Ha.

Once I have a workable set of plans I shall build this house. Yea, verily. I have 5 x A3 sheets of foamboard that might just come in handy.

Pauline I don't want you feel pressured into building this house because I did the plans. I've been wanting to do them for a while now. :)

I sent you a PM

Hi Mike --the mockups look great & I love the 'exploded' view!

So are you putting in swing out wall openings or sticking with the original plans for lift out walls? I didn't see any walls left out--I think it looks so much more 'real' with all walls intact--no gaps in the overall design--and much safer for people with curious cats!

Tappy

• Like 1

Pauline I don't want you feel pressured into building this house because I did the plans. I've been wanting to do them for a while now. :)

I sent you a PM

Pressured? No way! I've been drooling over this house, dreaming about it, and trying in vain to fathom some means of Tackling it for the past six months! This is wonderful xx.

• Like 2

Hi Mike --the mockups look great & I love the 'exploded' view!

So are you putting in swing out wall openings or sticking with the original plans for lift out walls? I didn't see any walls left out--I think it looks so much more 'real' with all walls intact--no gaps in the overall design--and much safer for people with curious cats!

Tappy

Thanks! :) I hadn't thought about removable walls or hinged?? Probably removable / magnetic? The kit/dine & bedroom roofs could also be removable.

...should use strong magnets to hold removable parts in-place tightly so cats can't get in & also, cut down on warping?

Pressured? No way! I've been drooling over this house, dreaming about it, and trying in vain to fathom some means of Tackling it for the past six months! This is wonderful xx.

Good! :bear:

Mike, would Velcro keep out cats? Pauline, you could go ahead and copy the 1:24 plans and take them to a copy shop to have them enlarged to 1:16 scale. On the other hand, I had a blast making furniture and dolls for my 1:24 hacienda and Fairfields...

• Like 1

The problem with velcro, as I see it, is in its bulk. I think I'd go with the nearly paper thin magnets that are sold to make refrigerator magnets. They can be cut with scissors.

Where do you find those? I think I'll want them when/ if I get to the point with Mildred of building the conservatory, since I want it to attach to the rest of the house when it's set up, but removeable for moving.

• Like 1

Why am I thinking somewhere there were flexible magnetic strips that came with an adhesive backing--maybe 3/8" wide? It came rolled up in a package? I think they were for making fridge magnets...but I am not sure how strong they were...

I was thinking this house design, combined with furniture from the Girl Mechanic link Selkie provided, and wallpaper from Jennifer's Free Printables would be an awesome combination!

Tappy

• Like 2

Holly, I've found that stick on magnetic strips in Walmart, all of the craft stores, a office supply store, and even the drug store.

The thing I dislike about Velcro is that it picks up lint and crud from everything and looks dirty and looses it's effectiveness once it's stuck up with all manner of fluff and stuff.

What about just having a horizontal channel along the floor and ceiling for the wall to slide into? It could connect to the next wall with a vertical channel. If someone didn't have a router or the tools to indent a channel into the wood, one could be created with moldings that resemble the baseboards or crown moldings, etc.

YOUR WELCOME hOLLY ... i can only buy my stuff on line only .....cause i can't go away from the house (medical problems) ..i even have to

buy all my food from the internet ... its a real pain some times ...i haven't seen a real store in over 3 years .. .. here in KEYSER WV there are no craft shops nor fabric

shops and no toy stores either ..only wallmart ..but they don't deliver .........so there fore i save on car insurance ...... they don't cover my matchbox cars !!!!!

Mike, would Velcro keep out cats? Pauline, you could go ahead and copy the 1:24 plans and take them to a copy shop to have them enlarged to 1:16 scale. On the other hand, I had a blast making furniture and dolls for my 1:24 hacienda and Fairfields...

That's an excellent idea, Holly! Why didn't I think of that? (Because I had no idea such a service even existed, that's why! LOL).

Holly I find 1/16th scale limiting. 1/24th scale houses are adorable - we all love miniature things! - but the furniture, and the dolls (!) would be teensy weensy. Cute, for sure, but would such minuscule proportions not reduce the impact of lovingly-finished rooms?

YOUR WELCOME hOLLY ... i can only buy my stuff on line only .....cause i can't go away from the house (medical problems) ..i even have to

buy all my food from the internet ... its a real pain some times ...i haven't seen a real store in over 3 years .. .. here in KEYSER WV there are no craft shops nor fabric

shops and no toy stores either ..only wallmart ..but they don't deliver .........so there fore i save on car insurance ...... they don't cover my matchbox cars !!!!!

I understand and sympathise. I am in the same position - housebound and reliant on the internet for both necessities and hobby items.

You collect Matchbox cars! Wow. I used to love those. I also loved train sets (still do!). And I used to build all kinds of structures with Meccano and Lego. Dad bought Meccano for my brother one Christmas. Dad was, frankly, a bit of a genius. He could build just about anything - and make tiny engines, etc, that worked perfectly. My bro was less than enthralled by Meccano because like a lot of naturally gifted people Dad tended to assume that if he could do a thing with ease, others should be able to - and that those who couldn't were dunces. Or just not trying. Dad made bro's Meccano experience a nightmare.

The very next Christmas - co-incidentally - Santa brought ME a Meccano set! Ha Ha. I loved it and happily spent endless hours building, demolishing and re-building cranes, trucks, etc. Because I was 'a girl' I wasn't expected to excel; I therefore escaped much of the pressure brought to bear on my poor bro. Thankfully I was 'bright' and endlessly curious, both of which pleased Dad. I lacked his enthusiasm for mathematics; to him, solving fiercely complex problems was fun. He tried to teach bro and me how to do the same, but we remained clueless. My talent for languages and literature - and lack of same at advanced-level mathematics - was a source of acute and lasting disappointment to my Dad.

Matchbox items - and Dinky Toys - are still hugely popular with UK collectors.

Predictably, I can't get those diagrams to copy&paste. My cursor doesn't respond at all. Can others copy&paste these plans? If so, why can't I? I can't even save them except as a 'webpage'.

It's like some unknown force is determinedly sabotaging every attempt on my part to build this house.

...1/24th scale houses are adorable - we all love miniature things! - but the furniture, and the dolls (!) would be teensy weensy. Cute, for sure, but would such minuscule proportions not reduce the impact of lovingly-finished rooms?

Now I'm really frustrated that the CD-burning equipment was down when I got my roll of film with the "finished" Fairfields' pictures processed, because all my hand- & kit-made furniture and dolls and Oriental rugs I stitched are in them! Here's the interior of my little hacienda (the stove I made is outside, but I made one just like it for the Fairfields' kitchen):

gallery_8_1766_14693.jpg

and you can check out Emily/ fov's houses; most of her work is 1:24.

What I have in mind is interior decor as that will come as close to real life as I can manage.

This is why I don't devote myself to the restoration of old UK kiddie houses!

I am my own harshest critic, and the kind of person who will achieve a stated goal or just about die in the attempt. This probably stems from the harsh childhood endured by me and my bro. NOTHING we did was ever good enough. Consistent AABB exam results were useless if they didn't include Advanced Mathematics.

I need to create something beautiful.

hello pauline ... i also collect model trains ( HORNBY TRAINS IN OO SCALE (1-76) AND A FEW DINKY AND CORGI TOYS TOO ) I ALSO COLLECT

BARBIE AND GIJOES AND CYGIRLS TOO ALL THREE IN 1-6TH SCALE AND I MAKE COSTUMES FOR THEM ) I AM A DOCTOR WHO FAN AND A

FAN OF HARRY POTTER also.........and my sisters name is pauline too ..but we lost her in 1998 then dad in 2000 and then my mom in 2007 so now

i am the only one left............SO I GET TO PLAY TOYS ALL DAY LONG and i even have a Gscalke 1/24th scale thru to 1/29th scale train test track

setup in my living room its only 6 feet wide by 13 feet long .......where i run and test my own engines i make or remodel ..i also make houses and buildings

in 1/24th scale for my trains .............

my question is whats MECCANO ?? i collect legos and castle blocks and even wooden blocks