I need a mini kitchen sink tutorial!

kat57

I do have some sources,and could probably make a kitchen sink with the famous restaurant jelly packaging or from polymer clay-at least I think I could do that. But I was wondering if anyone here has made a realistic modern kitchen sink-single,not double-that I could glean ideas from. Please lead me to any photos you can. Mine will be set into a 'wood' cabinet-either balsa or foamcore covered with veneer,most likely. I am trying to make every thing myself for my Cool Breeze/Dura-Craft Ashley,so I am hoping I don't have to break form and buy a mini sink....By modern,I think at least the 1950's on. Nothing fancy,just realistic. A big thanx in advance and good day,meanwhile!:) Kat

You can paint the outside of a plastic battery blister pack with white or chrome metallic paint and build a card or foamcore surround for it. Any time my stock runs low a trip to the local hardware store and a visit to their formica chip display will take care of the counter tops. I have also used the infamous jelly packet with the bottom half of a Michael's hutch; the top half makes nice upper cabinets for dishes & cookware/ bakeware. I also saved back an empty mustard tin to form white polymer clay around for a kitchen sink.

; but I generally make that one into a Belfast sink such as I made for the pub.

• Like 1

I might be mixing up books, but I think there is one in the Jane Harrop book "Thirties and Forties Miniatures in 1:12 Scale".

Yes there is and it is a great book!

Hugs

• Like 1

Thanx to everyone for your help! I love Brae's sink-just what I was looking for-and Blondie,the sink you found is perfect for the price if I fail at Brae's tut. If I didn't mention you or your idea by name-thank you so much! I've been trying for a long bit here tonight to get 2 links into this message at the same time without losing my text,and I finally got them and am just about worn out,tech-wise! :throw: LOL But,any-hoo:

My theme for my Dura-Craft Ashley/Cool Breeze is a nice old corrugated tin house that has been updated inside and is a rustic,maybe romantic 'get-away' cottage. It's very small-so everything in it will be smaller than a regular residence. Along the windowless wall I plan to build a small kitchen cabinet for the sink and a 2 burner stovetop,with a mini fridge below the stovetop and a microwave and small cabinet on the wall above. One store bought addition will be that the countertop will be some plastic tile sheeting from Houseworks that looks like 4x4 ceramic tile.These are my RL inspirations that I plan to meld:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/428686458252335795/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/428686458252335837/

I have set myself a finish date-not really a deadline,as it's just for me-so I should be ready to open a photo album in a few weeks. I am very slow and trying to make as much of the components as I can,but I am enjoying working at it and smiling when I think about it.Thanx for listening! ^_^

• Like 2

Not sure which link it was,but the first time I clicked on it I did too,Holly.They are both working for me now.

I am really excited about making some firm decisions,like this tiny kitchen set-up. I am so slow and so wishy-washy,but I laughed out loud when I saw each of these 2 photos(see above),as they 'said' just what I have been trying to figure out for my tiny kitchen! Eureka sounds dumb,but.... :)

And now with Brae's sink tut,yay!! I want to go with earring backs for the handles and a cup hook for the faucet,painted "FolkArt Silver Sterling" metallic acrylic. Again,thanx for 'listening'! ^_^

• Like 1

Sorry about the links,Holly-guess we just don't jive,as I sometimes have trouble clicking your links. :) Is anyone else able to see my inspiration photos in my earlier post above? I see them fine....

Jeremy,I like your kitchen sink and counter!! Did you do the 'granite' countertop?

Edted:I might paint mine to look like stainless steel like yours,Jeremy-in fact,I think I want to make 2,and try the white porcelain look and the stainless steel look. There I go being indecisive and wishy-washy again!LOL

Okay,yes,that was the problem,Brae-Sorry,everyone,I'm still new to this linking and stuff! My son helped me put both here! But,now y'all can see the 2 set-ups I want to meld for my little kitchen! :D

b86a439a9667790026d0ca8810ad1da2.jpg

446f6a7b0a9beb59b4d87b2eb7d6231f.jpg

• Like 2

Just a note:I ran across an old post today in The SmallStuff Archives when searching for more ideas. Going by what was commented in some posts under that topic,seems like someone else might have once been looking to build a similar efficiency-kitchen type set up. They were probably trying to find a miniature 'mini-fridge',already made,as someone else seemed to be saying there wasn't much luck in finding anything like that 'out there'.So,maybe I am still on my own in this tiny kitchen/kitchenette idea. Maybe somebody who did a travel trailer build has a mini fridge??

As for my inspiration photos(Which my son straightened out for me!): My little kitchen will have the elements of the larger single sink,the 2 burner stove,and the mini fridge,as well as a microwave and a coffee maker,too,if I'm industrious enough to do one. And the 'tile' countertop. Today I found another similar set-up where the stove has the modern glass(?)top burners and the mini fridge is enclosed behind a door that matches the cabinet,but I want the real fridge door to show and the older fashioned 'eye' burners. I'll be asking for ideas how to achieve both those looks next!lol But this weekend I just hope to get a lot done on the sink....

Oh,and my cabinets will be much more rustic and homey,not the sleek,manufactured look of these 2 cabinet sets. But they still do have the bones of my idea for a tiny kitchen/kitchenette. Hopefully I am not boring y'all and it will be worth it to see it one day!Thanx for 'listening'! ^_^

I bought the Miele mini fridge for several builds.

http://www.elfminiatures.co.uk/Miele+fridge+PUl6TndBRE14b0RkalZIWnZKSGM

ELF also has DIY burners. Below the main picture are links to other types

http://www.elfminiatures.co.uk/Gas+hob+%28stove+top%29+kit+PUFUTXdJRE14b0RkalZIWnZKSGM

There's also a Houseworks white metal burner set you can paint. ELF carries it, too, if you want to pay one shipping charge.

http://www.elfminiatures.co.uk/American+gas+hob+%28stove+top%29+kit+PVlETjBFRE14b0RkalZIWnZKSGM

http://www.miniatures.com/The-Kitchen-Collection-Stove-P17300.aspx

Also recall someone recently used circular paper clips for burners - I'm sorry I don't recall whose build it was. I've also seen large snaps used, or gear washers would work:

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/2/5747090/il_570xN.340748116.jpg

https://d2d00szk9na1qq.cloudfront.net/Product/9ac9c7c8-fc4e-4c6f-8e06-37c18560aed9/Images/Large_NR-2296.jpg

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v2/1134698090/Free-Shipping-font-b-Tattoo-b-font-Machine-8-Blackened-font-b-Gear-b-font-Washers.jpg

• Like 1

Brae,that mini-fridge is darling! I've never ordered minis from anywhere online but Amazon and eBay,by choice,but will have to explore this site more! Thanx!

And I have a package of colored circular paper clips-I 'saw' stove burners in them when I picked them up in the store,but was afraid it was just a silly thought-now that I know someone else saw it,too,I'll just paint a couple black! :)

Holly,I'll keep those appliances in mind for another time. In my head,this house is old,but is fitted with a kitchenette with a little more modern stuff. I have a space planned of about 6"/6' length it's all got to fit into. Tight squeeze!:)

I am going to the low end of 12 scale,you might say,not really to 3/4",but the house kit is tiny and I just have to adapt things to 'look' right. That's why a kitchenette fits,as well as the fact that those imaginary occupants relaxing here aren't going to be worrying about putting out big meals!:)

Jeremy,I like your kitchen sink and counter!! Did you do the 'granite' countertop?

Edted:I might paint mine to look like stainless steel like yours,Jeremy-in fact,I think I want to make 2,and try the white porcelain look and the stainless steel look. There I go being indecisive and wishy-washy again!LOL

Thanks Kat! I did make the countertops too.