Mitering Channel Molding?

CourtofGypsies

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows the proper way to miter U channel molding. Yes, I have a miter box but here is the thing, I want to use the u molding on the top of a three walled room box to finish off the edges. How do I miter so that the inside edges AND the outside edges match up? I'm sorry, I'm struggling to describe what I'm talking about. Let me know if I'm not making sense and I will try to draw a diagram or something.

Thanks!

Daphne

I'm guessing you will need 45-degree angles, correct? Place your channel molding flat on the solid back, then cut the angle across the open top from the open top down to the solid back. Cut the matching one in the opposite direction. Hope that makes sense. If they aren't matching, the corners might not be square or the mitre cuts aren't precise.

Using a pencil I trace the line of the cut on the channel an cut one piece of the channel at a time, checking for fit after each cut. On the house I'm working on now, not all angles are 45 degrees so this method works best for me. See the attached pic of the black channel.

It sounds like you want to have the mitered edges meet both inside AND outside the box at the corners? That seems to me that is would involve a compound miter, which I have never done; hopefully someone who has can describe for you how it's done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the channel molding. Havanaholly, I thought exactly as you did. I am happy to say, we were both wrong. lol, I figured I could try on a scrap of the channel molding just to see what happened. Lo' and behold, you mitre it with it turned on it's side and it comes out fitting perfectly both on the inside corner and the outside corner...This bends my mind a bit as even though I have cut and fitted the pieces myself; I still don't understand how that works! You would think that the inside corner would somehow have to be shorter than the outside - at least the thickness of the wall's difference but it aint so.

I'll take a pic once I get this finished. Gives the room box a lovely finished look.

Update on the channel molding. Havanaholly, I thought exactly as you did. I am happy to say, we were both wrong. lol, I figured I could try on a scrap of the channel molding just to see what happened. Lo' and behold, you mitre it with it turned on it's side and it comes out fitting perfectly both on the inside corner and the outside corner...This bends my mind a bit as even though I have cut and fitted the pieces myself; I still don't understand how that works! You would think that the inside corner would somehow have to be shorter than the outside - at least the thickness of the wall's difference but it aint so.

Whoa - this sounds way too much like Advanced Geometry class to me.

Glad it worked but it surely doesn't make sense in my old brain. I may try it on scraps and see if I can make the magic happen like you did. I sure wish I was math smart to "see" the concepts in this. Maybe someday .... Ah-h-h, who am I kidding?