What's the nicest comment you've received about your minis?

havanaholly

One of my coworkers had asked to see pictures of my dollhouse (at the time it was the D-C Cambridge). When she got to the third photo all of a sudden she looked up at me and said, "I thought I was looking at a real house!" She later came by our real house to look over the Cambridge in person, and now owns the Coventry Cottage.

• Like 3

Just this weekend at our Super Bowl party, Twinkle had her Spring Fling sitting out on a small table in an area where all the guys had to walk by it to get to the pool room and man cave. One of the men stopped suddenly and asked politely if he could look at her barn. She proudly went over and turned on all the lights and went and got her photo album with all the special outdoor shots we took and beamed and beamed and beamed as he looked it all over. Come to find out, he collects cars and trucks anywhere from matchbox size up through 1:16 size. He has an extensive collection so this was right up his alley. He gave her tons of accolades. I was so happy for her.

• Like 5

People are always surprised to find out I'm a miniaturist. They are bored, or amazed and delighted and it comes across. But I think the nicest comments I've received come from here when another miniaturist say "I wish I'd thought of that" or "mind if I steal your idea." I always say the ideas are yours to do with as you please. I love the exchange of ideas and the mutual motivation.

• Like 5

For me I don't think it was a particular comment as much as the level of enthusiasm some people show. The biggest compliments come when friends want to share in my hobby or become miniaturists themselves. Two of them started refurbishing the Garfield with me, and four of them got into the hobby because of me.

After my father built my first dollhouse, a friend of mine who had no prior interest in minatures saw my house and said she had to get one. She ended up buying the same model, but before doing so, she asked me if I would mind. I thought that was the most ridiculous question she ever asked me because not only did I not mind, I was thrilled to have so much in common with a friend. Besides, I knew she would do different things with her house, so her buying the same kit was nothing like buying the same dress.

She has since sold her house (to yet another friend), and I recently paid to have mine remodeled; but our mutual interest is still there.

• Like 3

Just this weekend at our Super Bowl party, Twinkle had her Spring Fling sitting out on a small table in an area where all the guys had to walk by it to get to the pool room and man cave. One of the men stopped suddenly and asked politely if he could look at her barn. She proudly went over and turned on all the lights and went and got her photo album with all the special outdoor shots we took and beamed and beamed and beamed as he looked it all over. Come to find out, he collects cars and trucks anywhere from matchbox size up through 1:16 size. He has an extensive collection so this was right up his alley. He gave her tons of accolades. I was so happy for her.

A man stopping to look at a miniature display during the Super Bowl is about as big a compliment as one can get!

• Like 4

My greatest compliment had to be when my daughter (who isn't into dollhouses and mini's) told a friend that I do amazing things with the dollhouses I build (though I know it's just average work and nothing like ones I've seen on here and the internet). My second greatest compliment had to be when my daughters best friend said she wanted one when my daughter gave a house I built to the little sister for Christmas and my daughter told her I could make her one, too.

Has to be when someone saw my screensaver (of a room in a dh of course) and asked if that was my house. I loved telling them, no, that's my dollhouse which led to me talking probably way to much about my love of "working?" on one and making most everything in it. And they actually seemed interested.

???

My first thought was "yeah, I doubt I could focus on making tiny, detailed house parts with my brain in a drug induced fog", but he quickly followed up with "you would be sitting on the sofa, bag of chips in hand, looking over at the house saying 'meh, maybe I'll work on it tomorrow'". His assessment was probably spot on. I've seen my older brother and his friends baked on that stuff enough times to know that motivation takes a nap along with common sense when THC is in the bloodstream.

• Like 1

The nicest comments.....come from this forum. And I personally appreciate all of you.

Gail :bear: (bear agrees)

Amen! It makes me feel good when someone here sees and comments on some successful detail that was important to me to get just right or makes a general observation that an unpracticed eye would miss.

The nicest comments.....come from this forum. And I personally appreciate all of you.

Gail :bear: (bear agrees)

Yep, the best compliments are ones that come from your peers. Who else would have the slightest idea how much work goes into what we do?

• Like 1

One of the greatest comments I ever read came from another miniaturist on this forum, JBNmini, its in regard to the European Castle that literally took my breath away when I saw it, When she saw it she said, '' I would sell every house I own to just own that one house!! May you have many happy years with it! ''

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

"that is a priceless heirloom". More so, as many of the people who have said that know of the difficult relationship I have had with my father...and he built the house.

Most other people react with OMG that is so cool, and my one new coworker wants me to add a porch swing when I get the porch! Lol

I do not have the skill you all do with building, I have to buy, but I sit in awe of those who can craft such amazing work.

...I do not have the skill you all do with building, I have to buy...

I don't know about a lot of the others, but I had absolutely no building or woodworking skills whatsoever, nil, nada. Retirement not only allows for a bit more time for hobbies, but there's a whole lot less $$$ to spend, so you'd be amazed how quickly you can learn to make things! And Patricia King is an excellent beginners' source.