Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

Deb

I planted the 2 hydrangeas I was gifted and messed up my knee pretty bad. I should have let someone else dig the holes. Oh well. So now I am on the bleachers to just watch whatever I can hire done for a while.

I scored a ton of discount plants from Lowes. I can't pass up a good deal. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We ate the last of the blueberries off the bush today. My blackberries are almost ripe. The squash and cukes were a bust. My tomato plants had a slow start but they are flourishing now. I still fear I may have to buy from Farmers stand. All my herbs have taken off nicely and so has the jalapenos. Slow start to growing season made it hard. How is your garden?

How is your garden?

I'm so glad you asked! :D I've been a slave to the garden for the past two months but the results of my efforts are pleasing. I have several beds, all flowers, all perennials, a combo of naturalization and English garden studied casual. I've been edging, waging war on wiregrass, transplanting, adding compost and topsoil, and planting. At the moment I'm wondering why the new fine line buckthorn bush is shedding like a shaggy dog in the spring, but everything else seems happy. I'd hoped to have everything cleaned up and gorgeous by August 1, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so I'm not too disappointed. Can't wait to have everything planted and thriving so effort can shift to maintenance and enjoyment.

I haven't taken photos yet, but I will before long. I want a pictorial map of each bed with the plants marked so next spring I'll be able to tell who survived the winter and who didn't, and where to plant newcomers. There are still some holes in the beds, but it's getting late in the season for new plantings.

I have to plant my new Hibiscus tomorrow. I was going to plant it today but then got busy with other things. Sigh.

My bell pepper plants are dying! No idea why, the leaves are just turning brown and sagging over. I water them plenty, so I don't know what's up!

I can barely keep up with the blackberry bushes! Great crop this year.

Edited by DarlingMini

When we got to the Havana house Sunday the mower had done in ALL of my hydrangeas *sob* and the azaleas next to the house have been gone for a couple of years; but the gorgeous azaleea colors were along the driveway, anyway; so I took a cutting from each of the four bushes and first thing Tuesday AM I unwrapped their ends from the wet paper towels and reclipped them, and clipped the next bits of shoots and stuck them down deep into the holes I'd clipped in the bag of fresh potting soil, then filled it with water until it started to trickle out of one of the holes. In about three weeks I'll start checking for new roots and hopefully get them into the ground by Labor Day. Since we'll have a couple of trips to the other house after the contractor gets through I shall watch the stump beside the front steps to see if any of that hydrangea survived; if it did I'm thinking I'll just dig it all up, wrap it in a pack of wet paper towels and swath it in a trash bag until I can replant it when we get home and try cuttings in 2016.

• Like 1

My peppers have done poorly this year too. I've had some that have been nice but overall, a very small crop and lots of dropping leaves. I've thought mine might be too much water. Who knows?

Tomatoes were slow at the start since it was so cold but are plentiful now.

My herbs are driving me right out of house and home. My entire kitchen ceiling is covered with them hanging up to dry - no joke - the tall folks can't walk without hitting their heads on something I have hanging there. On the up side, it will be lots of yummy flavoring all winter long and my kitchen smells heavenly. Maybe someday maybe I'll get an electric dehydrator.

My swiss chard and leaf lettuce have not done well this year. My tomato is only looking so so, and I had to cut down half my peonies (blight) Lucky for me they had done blooming. Adding colour with annuals.

Deana, I'd love to have a garden party and invite everyone over for tea and wine punch and cookies. But I'll have to settle for posting some new pictures in my garden album. I notice I've got a plan posted. I wonder how close to the plan the garden is now. :D

Edit: The plan just shows the trees and structures. I'll have to update to show all of the flower beds.

• Like 1

Hi Hazel! Last year I had several good sized potted spider plants on my porch. Outside cats and other critters (I live out in the boonies!) kept knocking them off the plant shelf I had them on,and I didn't want to hang them or 'display' them on the floor of the porch,where they wouldn't be seen very well.. They were becoming so ragged and I hated to see them keep being abused,so I figured-What do I have to lose? I planted the remaining spider plants in my flower beds. I have some whose leaves are green with white/cream borders and some white/cream with green borders. They thrived even through the winter and are spreading happily in my beds. I know I didn't come up with using them this way,but people I know have commented on how lovely they look and that they had never thought to plant them outside! Of course,this is Southern Alabama-might not be able to do this everywhere...

We are creating a moon garden for the front garden of the house, it will have all white flowers and shrubs, we are off to see the white garden at Sissinghurst castle created by Vita Sackville-West to get some ideas. The flowers are luminous in moonlight or at dusk and look quite magical.

The back garden is more of a hot tropical, colourful and vibrant place, quite the opposite. It's nice to have the mix.

http://www.invectis.co.uk/sissing/sswhite.htm