Spring Fling 2014

Is it too early to ask about plans for the Spring Fling this year? -- Moderators, please don't shoot me if it is.

Even though I don't participate in this contest, I really look forward to it. It's been a long winter, and I am in the mood for anything springy right now? I am also a miniature junkie.

• Like 2

Hm-m-m-m ??? Do you think it matters if you have purchased 6 SF kits (plus one more for your granddaughter) and have only completely finished one kit (plus your granddaughter finished hers)? I've only actually entered 2 years and one of those I copped out did the tornado thing since it wasn't really finished. (I dismantled what I had and made it look like it was blown apart).

I mean are there any rules that get enforced (like being banned for life from the SF contest or being shamed in front of the GL community) for folks who blab on endlessly about what they are doing for their SF and then never produce a finished product?

In case anyone cares and even if they don't, I hope it's a nice little arts and crafts bungalow style kit (or one that can be easily bashed into one).

• Like 4

In case anyone cares and even if they don't, I hope it's a nice little arts and crafts bungalow style kit (or one that can be easily bashed into one).

Selkie, why don't you take one or two of your last year's SF kit and bash it into one of these. One Arts and Crafts Styled Bungalow coming right up :)

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Madison-Dollhouse-Kit.html

• Like 1

I, personally, would like to see another cottage house - a bashable one, of course. Yesterday, a few of you were discussing fairtales, and a cottage house would be perfect for a fantasy or other such scene.

• Like 3

Well, next week on Thursday is the first day of Spring. That's when the contest used to be announced and it went through Memorial Day. Maybe it will go back to that this year. It would be kind of nice to have the GL contest in the first half of the year since the HBS one is done in Dec. Bungalow would be nice (repeats herself for the 80th time).

• Like 1

I mean are there any rules that get enforced (like being banned for life from the SF contest or being shamed in front of the GL community) for folks who blab on endlessly about what they are doing for their SF and then never produce a finished product?

Nope, none at all! It's a good thing too because my 2012 SF house is still waiting for me to finish it. That's the one that screamed "Love Shack" at me and it's about 90% done but I stalled out right at the end. It's sitting on the shelf in the studio where I can reach for it and to remind me that it's waiting patiently. <petting the Love Shack and its little goat> Soon my precious, very soon.

Selkie, have you thought about using the Madison and/or the Adams for an Arts and Crafts bungalow? Putting the two together is something I've planned on doing for a long time to recreate my Dad's family home in the Ozarks, but I've always thought that they have an A&C vibe to them that could be brought out with a few changes here and there.

Deb

• Like 1

:hmm: :idea: How about a contest in which all the entries must be Spring Fling kits from previous years that were not finished and not previously entered in the Spring Fling competitions? That might clean up a lot of UFOs from member workspaces.

• Like 6

:hmm: :idea: How about a contest in which all the entries must be Spring Fling kits from previous years that were not finished and not previously entered in the Spring Fling competitions? That might clean up a lot of UFOs from member workspaces.

I like this idea. It would save Greenleaf from waiting for a new release, and it would be an incentive to finish projects already started.

I'm super new to dollhouse building but the Spring Fling sounds like so much fun! (and I like having a deadline!) my ideal spring fling would be another small house (not sure what the proper term is for that :) )

hopefully the event times doesn't overlap too much with my 8 week training class this summer since I won't be able to bring any mini stuff with me.

Well, it is officially the second day of Spring and I, for one, have not seen any Spring Fling announcements yet. Have you?

Wish it could be early like it used to be so we could get started on something. How about 1st day of Spring through Labor Day for a time span? That way we have plenty of time but not into the Fall and holiday season and the end of the HBS contest.

Come on Greenleaf - we are waiting patiently - or maybe not patiently.

I hear ya Selkie! My track record for completion is still zero on the four or five I have purchased, but I always enjoy the anticipation and excitement of a new Fling project/contest! I like your suggested time frame too, though it doesn't look like the kick off will be today...It is always a win for me to just get to marvel at the fabulous creations of the folks who actually finish the projects and enter them in the contest!

There are already so many cool affordable items in the GL/Corona line (like the Travel Trailer and small houses used for the past HBS contests), and I really like the furniture idea--this is something I have actually completed!

And do you remember the Fall Fling Anything Goes contest? That one was neat too--it was any GL/Corona item, which really helped show case a lot of the items that you forget are even in the line (arbors, etc.)...

Tappy

I hear ya Selkie! My track record for completion is still zero on the four or five I have purchased, .... And do you remember the Fall Fling Anything Goes contest? That one was neat too--it was any GL/Corona item, which really helped show case a lot of the items that you forget are even in the line (arbors, etc.)

I have a really bad track record for completion too! hahaha

I think the anything goes contest is worth repeating as well. Saves time for the GL building team as well as using up intact products.

Great solution Tappy.

I never heard the exact details, but from what I remember with the "anything goes" contest, something went terribly wrong and there was some sort of dollhouse drama associated with it. Maybe that's why it never came back.

Speaking of contests, Ive been buying up a lot of miniature magazine back issues on ebay. In one of the old magazines I noticed an add for an HBS contest using of all things...the Buttercup kit. I would sure love to see those entries, how could it get any better? Back then the entries most likely were not submitted digitally so I doubt there is record of them anywhere except in some filing cabinet in the HBS offices.

I never heard the exact details, but from what I remember with the "anything goes" contest, something went terribly wrong and there was some sort of dollhouse drama associated with it. Maybe that's why it never came back.

Speaking of contests, Ive been buying up a lot of miniature magazine back issues on ebay. In one of the old magazines I noticed an add for an HBS contest using of all things...the Buttercup kit. I would sure love to see those entries, how could it get any better? Back then the entries most likely were not submitted digitally so I doubt there is record of them anywhere except in some filing cabinet in the HBS offices.

Here is a link to the Buttercup HBS contest.

How sad there was a drama. Peoples feeling get hurt, I can understand that but we are grownups and it would seem we could take things in stride and not be unpleasant about things. Too bad that good things can be wrecked that way but it happens in all areas of life, it seems.

Selkie, thank you so much!!! I had no idea you could look back through all of those contests! I absolutely despise the HBS website as it doesn't scroll or feed properly but I will tolerate it to look through these pictures :-) thank you thank you thank you :)

Boy theres not much new under the sun is there, pretty much everything you can think of has been done before lol. I was so shocked to see one of my all time favorite dollhouses in that line up, the Shadow Row by Sherise Landry...and not only did it not place, not even an honorable mention, it was just in the entrants category. Seeing that house in an early American Miniaturist magazine is what got me started down the road to drywall mud. I cant believe it didn't place higher.

Thanks again Selkie, that was a fun half hour browsing...and lots of Christmas Buttercups too:-)

Wow those are so much fun to look at! I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for the judges to pick a winner! I hope we find out about the SF14 soon! I'm dying to see what Greenleaf has come up with this time :)