Spring Fling 2014

I think the Spring Fling should begin in the early spring - like today. I really like the idea of submitting previous Spring Fling projects that were never finished or weren't entered previously, as that would take the pressure off of Greenleaf to create something new by this yearly deadline.

If Greenleaf doesn't have a new product ready in time and doesn't want to judge previously released spring fling kits, then I love the idea of an Anything Goes project. However, it should have some specifications, otherwise we could have 9 room dollhouses competing with 2 room cottages, stores, barns, furniture pieces, etc. It must be hard enough to judge these contests when the entries all have a similar starting point, but comparing "apples" to "oranges" would be even harder, and that may have been part of problem with the previous Anything Goes contest.

I, myself, don't think of the Spring Fling as a contest, however, but rather a display of creativity and originality. I believe, from what I've read and seen, the overwhelming vast majority feel the same way, and for many, I sense the challange of a deadline is a major motivation. But while the placement of this contest is a far second to the overall joy this contest produces, I would really like to see a People's Choice award this year. (If I say it enough times, I am hoping it will become a reality.)

• Like 1

Hey Dean, or Greenleaf site managers, or whomever the angels put in charge of processing my wishes this week, if you don't have a new Spring Fling project to launch, can we have an official Buttercup contest?

• Like 3

I didn't realize there was drama over the Anything Goes...just remember the cool items people submitted...

Thanks for posting the link on the HBS Buttercup contest...I too have issues browsing their site...

So, still no word or hint yet?!...Isn't there usually some sort of hint or chatter?...

Tappy

My first choice, by far, is a new fling, as always. If for any reason GL is considering no fling, a fling using an existing kit would be wonderful. Buttercup is good but I like the idea of any kit offered in 1" & Half Scale as being the fling kit. It would satisfy the half scale crowd (can everyone hear 'me, me, me' being screamed loudly in Oregon?) And it would be economical for GL. A PERFECT compromise I would LOVE to see is a special edition of one of the houses offered in both scales with changes to something that would make it specific as a 2014 Fling.

• Like 2

Here is my plea - If they are NOT having it this year, PLEASE tell us ASAP so we can move on to other plans and not keep saving space in our schedules for the SF build.

• Like 4

Since last year was my first fling, I don't know if they ever did a half scale..but I would love to work on something small..

They would keep the cost down by producing a smaller footprint build, and could even use it as a new type of fling maybe bring more people into the fold and certainly utilize a already produced pattern like a simplified buttercup...no trim..They could call it little fling or tiny fling thing or littlest fling yet...

You see where I am going with this....I want a.... Little Spring Fling.... thing... :french:

• Like 1

Since last year was my first fling, I don't know if they ever did a half scale..but I would love to work on something small..

They would keep the cost down by producing a smaller footprint build, and could even use it as a new type of fling maybe bring more people into the fold and certainly utilize a already produced pattern like a simplified buttercup...no trim..They could call it little fling or tiny fling thing or littlest fling yet...

You see where I am going with this....I want a.... Little Spring Fling.... thing... :french:

Annie's Lobster Shack would be the small structure fling. The Heart Arbor the first year was a small project. But...I want a half scale or another tiny structure too. Please???

• Like 1

I'm just back after a long absence and a Spring Fling is just what I need to get some motivation...whatever it is will be exciting :banana: woohoooo bring it on!!! lol

Linda xxx

• Like 1

Holly, I think the 1:24 fans are more interested in the smaller footprint of a 1:24 house for its space conserving characteristic.

So true, Kathie!

I have admired some of the clever ways you and others have converted one inch to half inch, but the foot print is a real issue (at least for me) :)

• Like 1

Anyone for the 1:144 kit? That's what I would like for the Spring Fling. But since GL doesn't even make one that size it's not too likely :) I'm seriously running out of room for houses, and I am now about to start a room box. But I have one shelf left where I can put that.

• Like 2

Anyone for the 1:144 kit? That's what I would like for the Spring Fling. But since GL doesn't even make one that size it's not too likely :) I'm seriously running out of room for houses, and I am now about to start a room box. But I have one shelf left where I can put that.

that could be neat! I think a 1:48 scale would be fun also :)

I think you might lose some people with the 1:144 kit, as that is too small for some people to see, much less work with. I think the quarter scale is small enough.

Along the line of suggestions already posted, I think a good idea would be to have a theme - such as a cottage, mini store, boat or shore theme, etc. where people can buy kits of any scale and/or build something from scratch - anything as long as it fits the theme. The only problem with that is that Greenleaf won't be able to launch a new kit with the name of the winner's project (especially if someone purchases a small scale model from another manufacturer).