Cat Tales--Stories of our furbabies

Deb

I've researched this topic and there is definitely a connection between cat lovers and dollhouses so I thought I'd start a thread where we can share stories of what our furbabies have been up to. (Stories of dogs, birds, hamsters, gerbils, mice, snakes, iguanas, horses, and goldfish are also welcome because we love all our children equally; there just seems to be a higher percentage of cat lovers so that's why I used that title) We can introduce our companions and post pictures of them here or in the Off Topic galleries for pets as well as sharing stories both past and present about the things our critters are getting up to. Or share a memory of a beloved companion that crossed the Rainbow Bridge because we keep them alive in our hearts when we talk about them. I thought it would be an entertaining topic and one guaranteed to bring laughter into our days.

These are my two 'hood rats:

post-329-0-66791700-1394125435_thumb.jpg

They're litter mates and identical twin tuxedo cats. That's Deano on the left and Frankie on the right. They're three years old and were urban feral rescues. When I call them juvenile delinquents or hoodlums, I really do mean it. They spent the first six months of their lives living in a concrete drainage pipe in the *worst* part of Denver where gang activities and violence are highest and they definitely came to us with some street attitude. Deano is the calmer of the two but he's also more aloof and prefers human contact on his own terms. He's a sucker for tummy rubs and pipe cleaners tho and he thinks the world revolves around Bruce.

Frankie is on the right and he's the goofy one who gets himself into all kinds of trouble and constantly needs rescuing. Both boys "talk" but Frankie is the chatty one and carries on conversations as relentlessly as a two year old child. He's also a joker and that's the story that made me think about starting this thread.

I'm trying to get back into working out after the strokes and the collapse and sacrilization of my spine. (I just measured 5'4" at the doctor's but just three years ago I was 5'7" so moving is critical but it has to be slow and easy) The best exercise routine for the kinds of problems I have is T'ai Chi and getting back into doing a basic routine has been one of my goals for a long time. This week I decided that even if I can't do a full routine, I'd at least get started on practicing the basic forms so I got out the dvd and began.

Frankie has more curiosity than any one cat should possess so he has to come see what I'm doing any time it looks different and it wasn't surprising that he'd be at my feet within minutes. Then he started with the questions, "What are you doing?" "Hey Mom, what are you doing?" "MOM!" "MOM!!!" I was sort of lost in meditation as I let my hands release the crane to the sky when I first felt the little pinprick of claws in my thigh. Frankie was standing on his hind feet and reaching for my hands with one paw while holding onto my yoga pants with the other. Apparently Frankie isn't much more coordinated than I am because he lost his balance and started to slide down.........with his claws still in my pants so that when he slid down, he took my pants along with him.

The ending of my story is simple. Thanks to Frankie, I now have a new T'ai Chi move----"White Crane Spreads His Wings and Gets 'Pants by the Cat". For some reason I don't think it's going to catch on. :moon:

Deb

• Like 6

Well, this isn't a cat story but I couldn't stop laughing at your pants story.

One day, I'd gone into town (I live in the boondocks) to do errands. It's always a big deal to go and we make a huge day of it.

I had all three grands with me, also lugging purse, diaper bag, shopping bags, umbrella and beverage bag.

As we crossed the busy main street I asked the two girls to hold hands and told one to grab my sleeve, then I had the littlest one put his hand in my pants pocket because I had no hands left to hold anyone's hands.

Halfway across the street, he toddled and fell and, you guessed it, down came my pants right in the middle of the crosswalk!.

I tried to be casual about it, setting down all my bags, stopping traffic both directions, and yanking up my pants with a flair, reassembling my luggage in a debonair fashion, all before continuing our journey.

It remains a family joke on Gram forever of course.

Moral of the story: don't take your cat shopping with you!

• Like 3

Yes, I belong to a cat. His name is "Geebs" like the butler. He is a tuxedo cat.(Black& white with white paws) He over sees all of the miniature

builds, always trying to fit inside to make sure everything is done correctly. And wanting to know why there is something new in "his" room.

He is a real trip.

Gail :D

• Like 1

Little Gretchen was found in a ditch with a brother. My mom actually picked her out, and they still have a strong connection. I went to the shelter the day before I put King down because I knew Webster and I wouldn't be ok without a new buddy. She has claimed the BH as her territory and rubs her little face on it every chance she gets. Even though she gets into MANY shenanigans, she's constantly making me laugh with the silly things she does. Being a Maine Coon, she likes water. So at least three times a week, I find a gift in her water bowl that she's been playing with. It's always dollhouse related -- wood blocks, pieces of blue tape, a skinny stick, etc. At Christmas time, I found a wee snowman in the water. I still have no idea where that came from...

post-1461-0-36685500-1394143558_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I agree Deb; there is definitely a connection between cat lovers and miniature enthusiasts. I, myself, am more of a dog lover and never owned a cat, but I couldn't help noticing all the cats that crawl into dollhouses, although I have yet to see one playing with the furniture. My first impression was that maybe the cats get jealous of the attention their owners give to their dollhouses and want to be noticed. Now, however, I am thinking they are just picking up on their owners' attraction to their hobby.

I had a toy poodle (that's toy as in small - not a stuffed animal) named Missey, and she helped get me over my fear of dogs. She was very attached to us, and she was very smart. I used to play a lot of albums and in the song "The Stranger," Billy Joel would whistle at the beginning and end of the song.

After a few times playing this album, I noticed that Missey would bark when she heard the whistling. So, I got excited and called my mother. I said, "Want to hear Missey bark?" But Missey knew I was laughing at her, and when I replayed the song, she gave me a dirty look, turned her little body around, and walked out of the room with her head up in the air. She refused to be taken as a fool.

I also loved Fala, President Franklin D. Roosevelt's dog. I can't tell you how many times my parents took me to Hyde Park to see his home, library, gardens, etc., and I could tell Fala was very much a part of the President's life. Naturally, I had to get a miniature resin figure of Fala that I found in the gift shop, and naturally Fala is living with his miniature family in my dollhouse.

Now that I got my dollhouse remodeled, and my miniature Holly Hobbie dolls are also happily living there, I learned that the original Holly Hobbie character is a cat lover. So, I had to get my Holly a cat. The one I got her is named Socks, and I believed it was modeled after Chelsea Clinton's cat when she lived in the White House. I figured if Socks was good enough for the White House, it was only fitting his miniature alter ego would find a home in my dollhouse.

Holly's Socks, however, is not a "real" cat, as it was advertised as a toy for the dollhouse, but my Holly couldn't be happier with him. I am a little relieved he's just a toy, because otherwise I would have to buy him a miniature liter box, although I am sure I would have been able to fnd one if I needed to.

Oh, in case you are wondering - yes, the girls' grandparents are Democrats, as their pets reveal all. But their home is open to everyone, and Republicans are also welcome, especially if they love animals and kids.

• Like 1

Oh, I'm just loving all these stories of purring fur and mini puppies. Maureen, it's funny that your mini pets are all Presidential considering that so many of the Greenleaf dollhouses carry the names of Presidents and historical patriotic heroes. The owners at GL would get a kick out of that.

Brae, Jasper is a sweetheart! I'm so glad that you and he found each other because that was truly meant to be. He has the same shape face and eyes that my Deano has........and when that face looks up at you with those eyes, you can't deny them anything! Jasper is a handsome fellow and he looks about as contented as a kitty can be when he knows he's loved.

Gail, Geebs sounds like he's quite a character too. That's an adorable name for a tux cat too. We spent a lot of time debating on the proper names for our Jellicle cats before we decided on Frankie and Deano. (And like their namesakes, just because they're wearing tuxedos doesn't mean that they're on their best behavior!)

Blondie, Gretchen is *gorgeous*!!! I had a soulmate kitty who was a long haired ginger cat (and a Maine Coon as well) so I fall in love every time I see one but Gretchen is an exceptionally beautiful cat. Maine Coons are big kitties too. Is she as tall as she looks? BTW, how is Webster doing?

Selkie, I haven't laughed that hard in ages! I think the moral of the story is to always wear clean underpants and it's a good idea to invest in a pair of suspenders if you have cats or small kids. hehehehehehehehe The funniest part to me isn't just that your family still tells the story on you, but somewhere in the world, there are other people who start off their own traditional family stories with, "Remember the time we saw that lady crossing the street with the little kids.............." <chuckling> Oh dear, that's the kind of situation that you either learn to laugh about or just die of embarrassment. It makes celebrity's "wardrobe malfunctions" pale in comparison. Somehow I don't think we'll ever see the same thing happen to Angelina Jolie.

More pet pictures and stories please! This is highly entertaining. Oh, and when Maureen mentioned her mini pets it made me curious....how many of you have mini pets that look like your real life companions? I have a mini siamese cat that I named Napoleon and he's even more cherished now that the real Napoleon has passed on but I also have mini tuxedo cats for Frankie and Deano. They all make the rounds of the various houses without making their home any place in particular. (There's also a mole named Herbie that gets around a lot but he's definitely NOT representing any pets!)

Deb (with Frankie and Deano peering over her shoulder to see the other kitties)

• Like 1

...Selkie, I haven't laughed that hard in ages! I think the moral of the story is to always wear clean underpants and it's a good idea to invest in a pair of suspenders if you have cats or small kids...It makes celebrity's "wardrobe malfunctions" pale in comparison. Somehow I don't think we'll ever see the same thing happen to Angelina Jolie...

Doesn't she paint her clothes on?

When we lived in Jacksonville some of our neighbors bred AKC beagles. One of their females became preggers and they didn't know which of their male dogs was the daddy, so they were going all over the neighborhood to find homes for her puppies, and wee had already told them we didn't want another dog. When the puppies were born our three boys came running in all excited; "[she] said we could have one of the puppies, Mom! Come see which one we want!" He was an adorable little thing with a perfect white arrow on his back pointing to a perfect round white bull's eye on top of his little head. DH & I were ready to kill our sneaky neighbor; but the dog, whom I wanted to name Archer but the kids named him Reilly, turned out to be not only incredibly sweet (he helped me raise a bipolar psychotic kid) but scary intelligent (our last two vets were amazed, then amused, that he could talk).

• Like 1

Well, in life I've found, you always have choices - that's what I teach the kids at least - in my pants scenario, I had a choice to create ridiculous havoc and have the children scarred for life or pretend I planned it all along and act as suave as they come. Seemed the better choice, at the moment, given the fact that my undies were out there for the entire town to see. Oh and yes, my mother did teach me to always wear clean underwear - and no holes in them either! I'm an obedient child, at least of that maxim.

• Like 2

Alas, my allergies progressed to the point where I can no longer even tolerate dust bunnies....but when I was 10, my Tigger Cat was born. She was a long haired calico (we didnt get her parents to the vet quite quickly enough, her mother was a short haired calico named Tiger)

I became Tigger's Preferred Human quite quickly. When I left for grad school 13 yrs later, we were very afraid she would starve herself to death (she would quit eating when I went to camp).

I came back at Xmas. My friend Darren picked me up at the airport. We drove home, and when we got into the house, Tigger leapt into Darren's lap, turned herself around 3 times and settled in....glaring at me. (She normally ignored all other humans).

Darren looked down at the cat in his lap, and asked to what did he owe the honour? My mother laughed and said.. The cat...she is PISSED at Barb!!!!

Tigger lived for another 5 years after that. When I would have a bad day at work (I used to be a teacher), Tigger was the perfect antidote, and she could predict asthma attacks. She was also a feline retrevier.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is my Coonie named Wicked. Trust me there is a reason for that name. :ohyeah: He is now 16 years old and thank goodness he calmed down finally. It was almost impossible to have people over cause he attaced some of them not all but most. :ohmy: We do really love him very much and I would have never given him away for nothing. (even though some people told me he is to much trouble) Like I said he is now quiet and nice so I think he has alzheimer since all of a sudden he purres when people come over and he lets them sit where they want too. I am very thankful for that. :worthy:

post-59971-0-31450700-1395870603_thumb.j

• Like 1

Youngest to Oldest...

post-583-0-35839600-1395875438_thumb.jpg
Ruby is going to be 3 years old this summer. She is a mixed breed dog we were given by a neighbor. She is a great dog. Very sweet.

post-583-0-73272700-1395875396_thumb.jpg
Milo is a fixed male. He is 4 years old. He is Chelsea`s cat but he has grown to like me. He likes to play with metal bottle caps. He plays fetch with them. I found over 200 of them wedged under the armoire when we had moved it to give away to charity.
post-583-0-94723700-1395875549_thumb.jpg
Oliver aka Menace to Society is a 5 yr old fixed male. He likes FRESH water at all times. He will wake me up at 5am because his bowl is not fresh. But he is a sweet cat and keeps my lap warm at night.
post-583-0-53913700-1395875490_thumb.jpg
This is Lu. She is a 6 yr old fixed Maltipoo. She is my buddy. I have never loved a dog as much as I love her.
Last but certainly not least...
post-583-0-60579300-1395875425_thumb.jpg
Perla (with Lu photobombing). Perl is a 8 yr old fixed chihuahua. She is a pain in the butt but I love her just the same.

• Like 1

I have no idea where all of mine came from. I just woke up one day and they were all there. I was shocked. I have been up to my elbows in poop ever since. But it's fine. The hair makes a nice accent to the afgans I crochet. I always know if there is a car in the driveway or someone in the yard. I never have leftovers. I am never lonely.

• Like 3

I have no idea where all of mine came from. I just woke up one day and they were all there. I was shocked. I have been up to my elbows in poop ever since. But it's fine. The hair makes a nice accent to the afgans I crochet. I always know if there is a car in the driveway or someone in the yard. I never have leftovers. I am never lonely.

Cat hair is a condiment!

• Like 3

It's the dog hair. It's shedding season. Ok, so there is some cat hair and the occasional feather. And then my hair. I seem to shed a lot also. Thank goodness the squirrels stop at the door or they would get their hair all over also. Is this supposed to be about one particular animal? I'm a tad adhd or add or whatever the letters are. Cause I have stories. Lots of stories.

• Like 3

I've been a 'cat person' all my life, and we're major animal lovers at our house, so it's about time I posted here! Actually, with two dogs, two cats and three hermit crabs, we have fewer pets than we have had in years...

First, our cats -- like several other Forum cats, they are tuxedos. Reportedly, they were rescued from a cat hoarder, and it may be true; they just can't get enough attention!

We have an unusual family custom of naming cats after birds. Morrie's 'real' name is Cormorant, because of his sleek black fur, and fluffy Gwen's full name is Penguin, for obvious reasons!

post-58970-0-95099800-1395878401_thumb.j

Here are our two pups, long-haired red brindle dachshunds that we adopted eight years ago. The boys are 13 or so, and in the last year, have gotten a lot more grey than you see in this picture. Their names are Zelig and Sigmund (my DH is a clinical social worker, and I used to work in mental health as well).

post-58970-0-82585400-1395877995_thumb.j

I'll spare you the pics of the hermit crabs, but they are Max, Gertrude and Thing Two (after Dr. Suess; don't ask about Thing One...)

Finally, there have been a few Maine Coons mentioned here, and after seeing the picture of Anja's cat...

This is my Coonie named Wicked.

...I wanted to share about my best-loved cat ever, Turk (yes, his bird name was what you think it is, and the breeder had already named him "Turkey" before we got him!). He lived to be 18, which is quite old for Maine Coons. He was just awesome, and as you can see, he taught me everything I know about computers!

post-58970-0-62708300-1395878762_thumb.j

He also had a unique relationship with one of our rabbits, Gypsy, whom he regularly groomed. The bunny loved it.

post-58970-0-17710900-1395878901_thumb.j

• Like 4

One of our friends from when we lived in Jacksonville had a sweet Maine Coon cat that was almost as long as I am tall; he always hopped up in my lap whenever we went to visit; I've never had a lap big enough for a cat that size, and he used to get so frustrated with me!

• Like 1

We don't have any cats, but we still have our Boston Terrier, George! George is getting a little long in the tooth and I swear he has alzheimers....poor thing starts walking across the floor and will just stop dead still look off in space like he is trying to remember whether or not he was coming or going. His hearing is not quite what it was and his eyesight seems a little poorer, but he is still the baby of the family. He has adapted well to having the gk living with us and still will play, but we have had to warn the kids to look for signs he is getting to tired, cause he doesn't know when to stop and will collapse if they go to long roughing it up with him.

• Like 1

Oh I forgot to add, as of last weekend we also have a pot-belly pig name Bleu. It was my oldest daughters and for some reason she decided it best the pig come live with us. Not real sure how I feel about this yet LOL.

• Like 1

Is Bleu potty trained? Potbelly pigs are kinda cute, though; there was a family of them briefly in St Mark's, FL; we used to pass them riding the bike trail from Tallahassee. They're TINY!

We have always has basset hounds since 1974, either 1 or 2 at a time. Along the way we had Homer, a cat that came to live with us for 18 years. His favorite game was playing Frisbee with a round make up sponge!

As some of you know within 3 weeks we lost our beautiful 10 year old Matilda that we got from a rescue up north, and Rusty our beautiful 12 year old golden, that we "rescued" from a daughter.

The house was just awful without a dog, so to pet finders I went. Abbie who is is a 4-6 year old beagle, joined the family in Feb. She is a fantastic little pooch. She was ready to be put down by an animal shelter but was taken by a local rescue. In addition to Abbie, we have had Polly cat for 4 years. She is a grey tabby that we

acquired when I was standing in line at the animal shelter to buy the dog licenses!

post-6081-0-22454000-1395937042_thumb.jp

post-6081-0-96834100-1395937232.jpg

post-6081-0-96508900-1395937278_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Holly, Bleu is potty trained and does tricks for the kids. But we have her in the pin outside for now. Lori did keep her in the house. She is not that tiny, that was one of the problems Lori had she got her thinking she was mini potbelly, but she is regular pot bellied so she got a lot bigger than was expected. Right now she is perfectly happy outside. Loves the acorns in the yard and I swear she has gained 5 lbs or more in the week she has been with us. If you start petting her side she will lay down and want her belly rubbed.

• Like 1

Holly, Bleu is potty trained and does tricks for the kids. But we have her in the pin outside for now. Lori did keep her in the house. She is not that tiny, that was one of the problems Lori had she got her thinking she was mini potbelly, but she is regular pot bellied so she got a lot bigger than was expected. Right now she is perfectly happy outside. Loves the acorns in the yard and I swear she has gained 5 lbs or more in the week she has been with us. If you start petting her side she will lay down and want her belly rubbed.

Awww... If Riley builds her a house, like a dog house, I bet she'd be happy out there. I was going to ask how George likes her for a playmate, but I guess if she's a big pig they can't play together. Can you still pick George up by his tug-toy?

• Like 1